Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luke L (12/17/2010)

Anyone see today's XKCD[/url]? I now have a new idea of how to explain indexing to business users...

That is excellent.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/17/2010)

Too bad they don't have an intel 64 bit version.

They do, indeed.

From www.virtualbox.org:

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction.

Haven't tried, but I suppose that the AMD64 version can run on Intel64.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (12/17/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (12/17/2010)

Too bad they don't have an intel 64 bit version.

They do, indeed.

From www.virtualbox.org:

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). See "About VirtualBox" for an introduction.

Haven't tried, but I suppose that the AMD64 version can run on Intel64.

I'll give it a shot.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/17/2010)

I see an x86 and amd64 version. Too bad they don't have an intel 64 bit version.

The x64 processor architecture is sometimes known as AMD64 because AMD came up with it while Intel was messing around with the Itanium. Intel then adopted the AMD64 architecture when the Itaniums didn't take off the way they were hoping.

AMD64 = x64 and that's the architecture that all 64 bit processors (other than the IA64) run.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/17/2010)

I see an x86 and amd64 version. Too bad they don't have an intel 64 bit version.

The x64 processor architecture is sometimes known as AMD64 because AMD came up with it while Intel was messing around with the Itanium. Intel then adopted the AMD64 architecture when the Itaniums didn't take off the way they were hoping.

AMD64 = x64 and that's the architecture that all 64 bit processors (other than the IA64) run.

OIC

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (12/17/2010)

I feel a bit ignorant now... :blush:

-- Gianluca Sartori

GilaMonster (12/17/2010)

I actually feel a bit bad for you, Gianluca. That's my daily feeling when I log in here. πŸ™‚ I've become inured to the feeling and I'm working on knowledge by osmosis. If it only happened occassionally I think I'd actually feel bad about it. πŸ˜€

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (12/17/2010)

I actually feel a bit bad for you, Gianluca. That's my daily feeling when I log in here. πŸ™‚ I've become inured to the feeling and I'm working on knowledge by osmosis. If it only happened occassionally I think I'd actually feel bad about it. πŸ˜€

:hehe: I second that feeling!

If knowledge by osmosis was possible this would always be the place I would stick to!

-- Gianluca Sartori

Not intended, sorry. Back in those days I was quite into hardware and read a lot up on the processor architectures.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I've used VirtualPC, but its lack of 64 bit guest support is annoying. I know several others who use VritualBox and if I had a machine on which to run a bunch of VM's I'd probably use it.

Side note. Anyone ever had an MRI? I was scheduled to have one yesterday afternoon and, being a bit claustrophobic, the doctor prescribed Xanax for the procedure. It didn't work. I couldn't even get in the machine for than 10 seconds. Trying to decide how to negotiate my way out of the MRI now. I'm not sure that it is really medically necessary.

I also had a nuclear stress test today and according the tech everything looks good. Still have the follow-up with the doctor.

Last health note. Got my latest cholesterol results back yesterday and it was not in the danger zone anymore. I still have to do some work, but the doctor didn't even mention medication this time.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (12/17/2010)

I've used VirtualPC, but its lack of 64 bit guest support is annoying. I know several others who use VritualBox and if I had a machine on which to run a bunch of VM's I'd probably use it.

Side note. Anyone ever had an MRI? I was scheduled to have one yesterday afternoon and, being a bit claustrophobic, the doctor prescribed Xanax for the procedure. It didn't work. I couldn't even get in the machine for than 10 seconds. Trying to decide how to negotiate my way out of the MRI now. I'm not sure that it is really medically necessary.

I also had a nuclear stress test today and according the tech everything looks good. Still have the follow-up with the doctor.

Last health note. Got my latest cholesterol results back yesterday and it was not in the danger zone anymore. I still have to do some work, but the doctor didn't even mention medication this time.

Great news on the cholesterol and stress tests. Keep up the good work. the only time I've needed an MRI done, it was for my knee so only in the machine about up to my hips. What I did to make sure I didn't move was to have a few adult beverages prior to the test and I went to sleep. I suppose that could have the opposite affect for someone with even mild claustrophobia. Any chance you could have them schedule it for first thing in the AM and then just not sleep the night prior. Go in, have them put on some music (white noise or whatever else might work for you) and fall asleep?

Any chance they could get you to an imaging center with one of the new fangled "open-MRI" machines?

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Yup, and you're right it is a bit close in the tube but it isn't that bad. I'm not claustrophobic but I have been scared when down in a cave at one point that was pretty tight. The MRI was no where near that bad. Whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely... think on these things. πŸ™‚

Hope all is ok.

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Luke L (12/17/2010)

Jack Corbett (12/17/2010)

I've used VirtualPC, but its lack of 64 bit guest support is annoying. I know several others who use VritualBox and if I had a machine on which to run a bunch of VM's I'd probably use it.

Great news on the cholesterol and stress tests. Keep up the good work. the only time I've needed an MRI done, it was for my knee so only in the machine about up to my hips. What I did to make sure I didn't move was to have a few adult beverages prior to the test and I went to sleep. I suppose that could have the opposite affect for someone with even mild claustrophobia. Any chance you could have them schedule it for first thing in the AM and then just not sleep the night prior. Go in, have them put on some music (white noise or whatever else might work for you) and fall asleep?

Any chance they could get you to an imaging center with one of the new fangled "open-MRI" machines?

-Luke.

Additionally you could try to get an eye mask. Together with some relaxing music, some medication and the lack of sleep it should help. Maybe even anaesthesia.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• LutzM (12/17/2010)

Luke L (12/17/2010)

Any chance you could have them schedule it for first thing in the AM and then just not sleep the night prior. Go in, have them put on some music (white noise or whatever else might work for you) and fall asleep?

-Luke.

Additionally you could try to get an eye mask. Together with some relaxing music, some medication and the lack of sleep it should help. Maybe even anaesthesia.

Of course, the lack of sleep bit would only work if you did it naturally. No caffeine use to help you stay up all night as that'd probably just make you jumpy/hypersensitive and perhaps exacerbate the issue.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Yes, I've had an MRI on my ankle. The technician put on some headphones for the radio station I liked. I closed my eyes listening to the music and got so bored, I fell asleep. But then, I'm not all that claustrophobic and I was only in the machine up to my chest or so. I know from watching a video on MRI machinery that some of them come equiped to play movies. I take it from the claustrophobia problem that are you going all the way into the machine?

Not too surprised the Xanax didn't work, though. I would suggest doing a bit of research on the whole anti-depressant/anti-psychotic/anti-anxiety drugs before you take them again. The drugs are really quite dangerous (with many of them sporting Black Box warnings) and have some rather nasty side effects. www.cchr.org has a lot of info on the side effects the drug companies don't want you to know about.

-- Kit

Viewing 15 posts - 22,606 through 22,620 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply