Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (1/26/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (1/26/2011)

Where the hell did January go? I think it might have been buried in snow and I missed it.

Wasn't the snow. I missed most of it too, and no snow here (what's snow anyway?)

Snow is what you'll see a lot more of if you move 9 Mm north.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Changing the subject for a moment:

I also noticed a change in Joe Celkos replies. Here's a reply I have no problem with pointing others to if they're interested in knowing the order a query is processed.

I'm glad to see things can change. And people too. πŸ˜‰

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Since you seem intent on pulling the whole story out bit by bit, line by line...

I'm just not seeing a future here at the moment. The IT industry is not doing well. Everyone complains there are no skills but then refuses to pay reasonable rates or salary (not a new thing, but seems to be getting worse). The key decision point in many potential project meeting I've been part of recently has been price, not skills, not qualifications. Reputation counts for almost nothing in many cases. Brent O asked me last year how much my billing rate would increase if I got an MCM and the answer is that it probably wouldn't. There's been major retrenchments from some of our big IT consulting/outsource companies, with one retrenching over 60% of their staff.

If I tried to get a full time job again here, I'd have to deal with the 'employment equity act' which states that I may not be given the job if there is even one other applicant that meets minimum job requirements and is 'previously disadvantaged'

The economic growth plan that's currently in discussion in government includes the capping of salary and wage increases, and the threshold that is planned to kick in at is R20000/month (about $3000)

The next couple of years are going to see heavy road tolls (while private industry voluntarily fixes potholes), a 'national health scheme' where the more you earn the more you pay (current estimates at least 12-15% of income) and probably increasing blackouts.

Not planning, not looking, just thinking

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • LutzM (1/26/2011)

I also noticed a change in Joe Celkos replies. Here's a reply I have no problem with pointing others to if they're interested in knowing the order a query is processed.

He commented on my latest blog post. Perfectly polite. (Paul Randal commented too)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Since you seem intent on pulling the whole story out bit by bit, line by line...

I'm just not seeing a future here at the moment. The IT industry is not doing well. Everyone complains there are no skills but then refuses to pay reasonable rates or salary (not a new thing, but seems to be getting worse). The key decision point in many potential project meeting I've been part of recently has been price, not skills, not qualifications. Reputation counts for almost nothing in many cases. Brent O asked me last year how much my billing rate would increase if I got an MCM and the answer is that it probably wouldn't. There's been major retrenchments from some of our big IT consulting/outsource companies, with one retrenching over 60% of their staff.

If I tried to get a full time job again here, I'd have to deal with the 'employment equity act' which states that I may not be given the job if there is even one other applicant that meets minimum job requirements and is 'previously disadvantaged'

The economic growth plan that's currently in discussion in government includes the capping of salary and wage increases, and the threshold that is planned to kick in at is R20000/month (about $3000)

The next couple of years are going to see heavy road tolls (while private industry voluntarily fixes potholes), a 'national health scheme' where the more you earn the more you pay (current estimates at least 12-15% of income) and probably increasing blackouts.

Ahhh - makes sense.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (1/25/2011)

North. About 9000km.

Not sure, just thinking, maybe, will see, depends....

Starting from Johannesburg I make that about Milan, or maybe a good bit East of there (around Bucharest) depending on how far from true North the North is. Haven't heard of any interesting projects anywhere over there recently, though.

Edit: I dropped 1000 km somewhere - 9000 km due N of Johannesburg is a tad East of Vilnius (Lithuania), just over the border into Belarus. Going a bit West of North you could hit London.

London is a terrible place just now - VATax just increased to 20%, all the IT employers are claiming massive skills shortage in order to convince the government to permit massive immigration of cheap labour from India, China, Pakistan, very few people in IT are seeing pay rises, a lot are seeing redundancy, the very firms who are claiming massive skills shortage are laying skilled people off, utility prices are rocketing, local tax is rocketing, you'll see job adverts for senior database architects with 10 years RDB experience at least 3 of those years at senior level and expert on Oracle and DB2 and SQL Server as well as being able to gather customer requirements and walk on water (and all the usual purple monkey characteristics) and discover that the pay rate is what a new graduate with a not very good degree would have had after a year in his first job a year or two ago, and I'm really glad I'm out of there and only looking for occassional short and sharp engagements rather than having to find a full time job in that horrible situation.

Tom

• Have you guys seen the news?

Learn Extended Events

Since you seem intent on pulling the whole story out bit by bit, line by line...

Holy Crap! It's Massachusetts and California multiplied by about a 1,000. I'd already be planning the move. You're such a trooper.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• CirquedeSQLeil (1/26/2011)

Have you guys seen the news?

Close, very close. Nicely done.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (1/26/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (1/26/2011)

Thanks

Learn Extended Events

Grant Fritchey (1/26/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (1/26/2011)

Thanks

Congrats! Are you going?

The timing for that one is bad for me, but I am going to aim for the Aug classes.

Congrats, Jason!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Jeff Moden (1/26/2011)

Ah... sorry. I got a little behind on the thread. I see you already have enough volunteers to help.

Ill Pencil you in for Ver2 πŸ˜‰

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• Craig Farrell (1/25/2011)

GSquared (1/25/2011)

And that's almost certainly more than anyone here wants to know about this subject. :w00t:

... listens enraptured. "Not really, that's damnably interesting, actually."

No kidding. Can we have some more please?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Congrats, Jason. Even if you do have to pay. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 23,566 through 23,580 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply