Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (6/2/2011)

jcrawf02 (6/2/2011)

So, who else will be coming to SQL Saturday #75? I'm going to need to figure out how to hook up with you guys with an ancient, Twitter-impaired phone. (which is also not accepting voicemails right now, but that's a different story. Makes it hard to get callbacks from fence/deck contractors though)

I submitted a session but it wasn't one of the ones selected. Actually, it turns out to be a bit of a relief for me and took it one step further by un-registering.

Yeah, noticed, and rather disappointed, especially since there are several repeat speakers, which seems very odd given the number of submissions.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I'm finally starting to look more at Visual Studio 2010 and I'm curious if any of the denizens of The Thread have played around with F#.

Seems interesting even though you cannot use it in SQLCLR.

• Had a phone interview Thursday morning with Microsoft. It seemed to go pretty good. We'll know how good if the fly me up to Redmond for a full day interview.

On the other side, I may have another opportunity closer to home as I got an email late Thursday from a recruiter. Fingers crossed, I may actually leave the Dark Side. I really miss working with SQL Server and more importantly, I really miss the SQL Server community.

• Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

Had a phone interview Thursday morning with Microsoft. It seemed to go pretty good. We'll know how good if the fly me up to Redmond for a full day interview.

On the other side, I may have another opportunity closer to home as I got an email late Thursday from a recruiter. Fingers crossed, I may actually leave the Dark Side. I really miss working with SQL Server and more importantly, I really miss the SQL Server community.

I wish you the best of luck in whichever way these opportunities for you unfold.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

Had a phone interview Thursday morning with Microsoft. It seemed to go pretty good. We'll know how good if the fly me up to Redmond for a full day interview.

Best of luck, Lynn! I hope it works out well for you!

-Ki

• Craig Farrell (6/2/2011)

The Dixie Flatline (6/2/2011)

Yet again, I will attempt to explain....

ROFL...

... anyone here know how to Madison?

Thank you. I now have this persistent drum beat and the sound of a heel stamping going on in the back of my head, the entire soundtrack sitting on a device near me, and nary a set of headphones in sight...

-Ki

• Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

It would be great! Good luck, Lynn.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• opc.three (6/2/2011)

Jan Van der Eecken (6/2/2011)

opc.three (6/2/2011)

LutzM (6/2/2011)

To quote from a thread I've been involved:

Also, I will start to participate on the site more often. It has always been useful and seems to be very helpful and friendly.

What else can we ask for?

I just stumbled onto the thread. You may have created another SSC Addict. Very nice feedback from all perspectives!

Don't say you read all 26917 posts on The Thread as well.

I have. I started in late 2010 and just caught up.

DBCC Timewarp makes it so much easier to that kind of thing! I'm so glad that one day, they will finally invent it. It's been SO useful! 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• WayneS (6/3/2011)

Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

I wish you the best of luck in whichever way these opportunities for you unfold.

Heck with "luck". Best of merit, Lynn! And best of perception on the part of the interviewer. That's better than luck any day! 🙂

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (6/3/2011)

WayneS (6/3/2011)

Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

Heck with "luck". Best of merit, Lynn! And best of perception on the part of the interviewer. That's better than luck any day! 🙂

Should we open a Connect item, "Please hire Lynn Pettis"?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

Good luck to you, sir!

FWIW, I haven't really been doing anything heavy-duty with SQL Server ever since I started my (now not-so-) new position (at most, writing some queries and SP's here and there), but I still continue hanging around here! 🙂

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

I'm finally starting to look more at Visual Studio 2010 and I'm curious if any of the denizens of The Thread have played around with F#.

Seems interesting even though you cannot use it in SQLCLR.

Nope. Haven't wrapped my head around Functional programming. Still stuck in OOP.

I gandered at the code a year ago, but, if I recall correctly, it was quite a bit different than C#, so I decided to wait to see if this new earth shaking movement turned into a Notification Services thing.

Watching the clock waiting.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Lynn Pettis (6/3/2011)

Congratulations! I hope you land one of them. If you get the MS job, we ought to see you at the Summit I imagine. At least all of the travel would be covered!

What technology are you working in now besides SS? (I have not finished reading the entire Thread yet.)

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• I saw the big bowl of alphabet soup get added onto Gus' signature and figured this would be the place to figure out what led up to it. Only had to read 3 pages back to find the change point! I'm still waiting to see Gail's list one day. =)

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Garadin (6/3/2011)

I saw the big bowl of alphabet soup get added onto Gus' signature and figured this would be the place to figure out what led up to it. Only had to read 3 pages back to find the change point! I'm still waiting to see Gail's list one day. =)

If you insist...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 26,926 through 26,940 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply