Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

I suspect this got lost in all the 'helping Grant abuse SQL' posts...

Another request:

I'm bunking tonight and starting the rewrite of my rather old (and second-ever) article Managing Transaction Logs[/url]. Other than when and when not to shrink (which definitely has to go in there), what else do people think I need to add or expand on?

I'm adding a whole section on why not to shrink, when shrinking is fine and how to. I'm cutting the recovery model stuff down (as there's another article I can reference) and adding a mismanagement section. Anything else that needs covering?

How about limiting your db to one tlog file?

-Dan

• Well, crap... Sorry GSquared - there must be an echo in here. 😀

• Question for those that blog (preferably with WordPress) and post code on their blog - what code syntax tool do you use? I'm using WP-SynHighlight, but I'm not completely happy with it - I'd like to find something else before there are too many blogs out there to redo with a different tool.

Thanks!

(Edit: 72 to go to 30000!)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• How about an intro to VLFs? VLFs is not something every one knows about. Also how logs are written and read from it?

-Roy

• WayneS (9/16/2011)

Question for those that blog (preferably with WordPress) and post code on their blog - what code syntax tool do you use? I'm using WP-SynHighlight, but I'm not completely happy with it - I'd like to find something else before there are too many blogs out there to redo with a different tool.

Thanks!

I'm hosted on wordpress.com and there you can only have [sourcecode language="sql"] + various switches.

It's not bad, what exactly doesn't fit your needs?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I'm installing an instance for a new third party software and I would really appreciate your advice on the instance name.

In this shop each instance name must start with a 7 char string (determined by a rather complicated algorithm - SQLITBI in this case) and then you have 3 chars that should identify what the instance does.

Since the application name is "Waterfall", could SQLITBIWTF suit? 😀

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (9/16/2011)

I'm installing an instance for a new third party software and I would really appreciate your advice on the instance name.

In this shop each instance name must start with a 7 char string (determined by a rather complicated algorithm - SQLITBI in this case) and then you have 3 chars that should identify what the instance does.

Looks good to me. The shortened name clearly identifies which application is being serviced.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• GilaMonster (9/16/2011)

I suspect this got lost in all the 'helping Grant abuse SQL' posts...

Another request:

I'm bunking tonight and starting the rewrite of my rather old (and second-ever) article Managing Transaction Logs[/url]. Other than when and when not to shrink (which definitely has to go in there), what else do people think I need to add or expand on?

I'm adding a whole section on why not to shrink, when shrinking is fine and how to. I'm cutting the recovery model stuff down (as there's another article I can reference) and adding a mismanagement section. Anything else that needs covering?

I saw it, just nothing to suggest.

• Roy Ernest (9/16/2011)

How about an intro to VLFs? VLFs is not something every one knows about. Also how logs are written and read from it?

I think the topic on VLFs could be an entire article by itself. Introducing the concept (but IIRC she did that in another article) at a low level could work.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (9/16/2011)

Question for those that blog (preferably with WordPress) and post code on their blog - what code syntax tool do you use? I'm using WP-SynHighlight, but I'm not completely happy with it - I'd like to find something else before there are too many blogs out there to redo with a different tool.

Thanks!

I think you will find that problem with most syntax tools. I am not particularly fond of any of them but wp-synhighlight works the best for me of what I have tested. At this point, I am in no mood to go back and change - too many posts.

Learn Extended Events

• WayneS (9/16/2011)

I'm getting ready to move my website / blog to WP and would also like the answer to this. What tool should I use for the T-SQL Code?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

WayneS (9/16/2011)

Thanks!

I'm hosted on wordpress.com and there you can only have [sourcecode language="sql"] + various switches.

Will that work if I'm hosting on my own domain instead of wordpress.com?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (9/16/2011)

Gianluca Sartori (9/16/2011)

WayneS (9/16/2011)

Thanks!

Will that work if I'm hosting on my own domain instead of wordpress.com?

Sorry, I have no idea.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• calvo (9/16/2011)

I'm installing an instance for a new third party software and I would really appreciate your advice on the instance name.

Looks good to me. The shortened name clearly identifies which application is being serviced.

... and in case you forget it, you still have something to say!

-- Gianluca Sartori

calvo (9/16/2011)

... and in case you forget it, you still have something to say!

Swap the BI and IT to get SQL BE IT

SQLBIITWTF

Then you can add several neat acronyms in lieu of WTF

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 29,926 through 29,940 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply