Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/5/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/5/2011)

instance time v os time? Sheesh, is there a technical discussion taking place again?

Perhaps, but it is in the guise of a smartass discussion.

I think you have those flip flopped - it is in the guise of a technical discussion:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/5/2011)

instance time v os time? Sheesh, is there a technical discussion taking place again?

Nope. Nobody here but us chickens.

• How are things going for the All Blacks and SpringBok?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/5/2011)

How are things going for the All Blacks and SpringBok?

Springboks (one word, one capital), winners of Group D, playing Australia (ouch) on Sunday.

All Blacks, winners of Group A, playing Argentina on Sunday.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Something interesting I noticed about the Rugby WC quarter finals.

On Saturday Ireland is playing Wales and England playing France

On Sunday SA plays Australia and New Zealand plays Argentina.

In the semis, the winner of Ireland vs Wales will play winner of England vs France and similarly for the other.

So the finals will be northern hemisphere vs southern hemisphere.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/5/2011)

So the finals will be northern hemisphere vs southern hemisphere.

Yes, that was the big talking point after the shock loss by Australia to Ireland (that meant Ireland topped Pool C). It split the draw into Northern vs Southern - definitely A Good Thing.

• GilaMonster (10/5/2011)

In the semis, the winner of Ireland vs Wales will play winner of England vs France and similarly for the other.

Just to emphasise: that means SA vs NZ next week, most likely. Ooo!

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/5/2011)

Oh Jeff, look what your "simple" question has done!

I know... pretty devious, huh? ๐Ÿ˜› The good ones just can't stand such a simple question. They'll correctly answer with the standard "GETDATE()" and add some of the things people took off with on this thread. Of course, depending on how far someone takes such a simple question and their mannerisms when doing so, you'll also learn a lot about their personality. Flexibly funny, interminable smart a**, quietly confident, arrogant, timid, scared, conservative, flat-liner, mostly ignorant of SQL, cross trained with experience, too smart for their own good, etc, etc? All from the first "easy" question. If someone flat-lines me with just โ€œGETDATE()โ€, then I dig a little deeper about dates/times or maybe shift to another subject to try to get some dialog and self-prompted monologue going.

One of my requirements that I donโ€™t typically advertise as a requirement is that each Developer has to be able to teach a bit and be willing to share knowledge without being an absolutely arrogant sot to those who may ask them questions. All of that normally comes out by the 5th question or so.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• SQL Kiwi (10/5/2011)

Evil Kraig F (10/5/2011)

Second Interview? Isn't that the time when they go "Sign here for benefits and salary agreements?" Didn't know that was an interview....

No idea. Never been asked back after the first one ๐Ÿ˜‰

@stefan: Yes you'll find Jeff is responsible for most of the code that appears on the Thread (ha ha)

BWAA-HAAA!!! Everyone makes it so easy! ๐Ÿ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• For those of us in the IT world, today is a sad day. Apple announced at 8:51 PM that Steve Jobs passed away as a result of loosing his battle with pancreatic cancer.

A great innovator, a great motivator, the IT world has lost a great individual

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (10/5/2011)

For those of us in the IT world, today is a sad day. Apple announced at 8:51 PM that Steve Jobs passed away as a result of loosing his battle with pancreatic cancer.

A great innovator, a great motivator, the IT world has lost a great individual

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

That is quite a bit of unfortunate news.

Learn Extended Events

• If you haven't seen it, his 2005 Stanford Commencement. Excellent talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA&feature=player_embedded#!

A sad day, and a reminder that I'm getting older as well. People I admire, know, love, are slowly dying. Remember that. You're dying too. Enjoy this life, and do something you love while you can.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (10/6/2011)

If you haven't seen it, his 2005 Stanford Commencement. Excellent talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA&feature=player_embedded#!

A sad day, and a reminder that I'm getting older as well. People I admire, know, love, are slowly dying. Remember that. You're dying too. Enjoy this life, and do something you love while you can.

Amazing speech. Even after 4-5 listens!

If you haven't seen it, his 2005 Stanford Commencement. Excellent talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1R-jKKp3NA&feature=player_embedded#!

Wow. Thanks Steve.

Crap, you're just getting there? When Joey Ramone died was the day I suddenly felt old. Still haven't quite recovered.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 30,661 through 30,675 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply