Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (4/6/2009)

Roy Ernest (4/6/2009)

And it is no surprise that Lynn is dealing very patiently. He is THE SAINT.. 🙂

Next I want to see Lynn being nominated as MVP...

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure that I really qualify. I look at the people I know here on SSC (Jeff, Gail, Grant, Steve) as well as a few here where I live, and I may be good, but I'm not sure if I am there yet.

All the four you mentioned are already MVPs. So it is your turn now. 🙂 You do things good, then you should get something good in return as well...:-)

-Roy

• Will you accept a blessing then, Lynn? You've got one whether you will or not.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Lynn Pettis (4/6/2009)

Well, we just got a call tonight, my wife's aunt died today. Apparently there won't be a funeral, so not sure what is going on there. Hit my wife pretty hard as she was named after her aunt. Just leaves her mom and uncle (her dad's oldest brother).

Dang... real sorry to hear that, Lynn. Having a namesake die only makes it more difficult. My sincere condolances to you and your family. I had a younger brother die on 29 Dec 2003... the call I got is still fresh in my mind.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Roy Ernest (4/7/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/6/2009)

Roy Ernest (4/6/2009)

And it is no surprise that Lynn is dealing very patiently. He is THE SAINT.. 🙂

Next I want to see Lynn being nominated as MVP...

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not sure that I really qualify. I look at the people I know here on SSC (Jeff, Gail, Grant, Steve) as well as a few here where I live, and I may be good, but I'm not sure if I am there yet.

All the four you mentioned are already MVPs. So it is your turn now. 🙂 You do things good, then you should get something good in return as well...:-)

Absolutely agreed there... I don't always agree with how "gentle" Lynn is with some of the PITAs and "Growlers" that appear on the forums, but I really have to respect the extraordinary display of patience and apptitude.

What most don't know is that the MVP isn't necessarily about diety-like knowledge of any given product... it's a service award and badge of distinguished honor. Lynn's efforts certainly qualify in my book.

Actually, there are a dozen or so good folks on this forum that I'd like to see get the MVP.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• The MVP certainly isn't a ton of knowledge. It's a community contribution award.

Arguably I haven't contributed anything substantial to the SQL knowledge base in quite some time. Instead I think I've promoted the product and helped people, but not necessarily done much else.

If that's the bar, Lynn certainly qualifies.

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/7/2009)

The MVP certainly isn't a ton of knowledge. It's a community contribution award.

Arguably I haven't contributed anything substantial to the SQL knowledge base in quite some time. Instead I think I've promoted the product and helped people, but not necessarily done much else.

If that's the bar, Lynn certainly qualifies.

Direct from the MVP Website:

The Microsoft MVP Award recognizes exceptional technical community leaders from around the world who voluntarily share their high quality, real world expertise with others. Microsoft MVPs are a highly select group of experts representing technology's best and brightest who share a deep commitment to community and a willingness to help others. Worldwide, there are over 100 million participants in technical communities; of these participants, there are fewer than 4,000 active Microsoft MVPs.

Here is the bar I look at. At this time, I'm not sure if I really belong in such a select group of individuals. I can also think of at least on MVP that I don't think belongs in that group either.

• Jeff Moden (4/7/2009)

Actually, there are a dozen or so good folks on this forum that I'd like to see get the MVP.

I did a little more reading, Jeff. As an MVP, you are in a position to nominate others. If you truely believe that there are individuals on this site worthy of the honor, you can nominate them.

• Lynn Pettis (4/7/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/7/2009)

I did a little more reading, Jeff. As an MVP, you are in a position to nominate others. If you truely believe that there are individuals on this site worthy of the honor, you can nominate them.

Actually... I don't believe you have to be an MVP to nominate someone. I think anyone can do it. The more, the merrier. That's a helping hint folks... 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• By the way... this is the kind of newbie I like to see...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic685148-338-1.aspx

The man's original post was absolutely typical of a newbie post. So were a couple of his other posts further down in the same thread. I made a suggstion and, by Jiminie, he took it with all the good graces that the suggestion was aiming at. The man deserves an "A+" for effort. Wish there were more folks like him.

But, it does show me something that I may have gotten out of the habit of doing because of all the dill-weeds we've put up with lately... give them the opportunity to fail and they usually won't. I know that sounds strange but I used to do that all the time and with the same great success. I'm still not going to take a line of hooie off of anyone, but I'm going to change my initial contact method. I may have to just make a copy of my "sweet" post because it's kind of long and use it more often.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (4/7/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/7/2009)

That is true, as I read anyone in the tech community or Microsoft employee as well (in addition to MVP's) can nominate someone. Just seems that MVP's Microsoft employee's may have an edge in doing so. Nothing on the pages I read even said how the nomination process was done, so even if I did know someone worthy, they don't really tell us community folk how to go about it.

• ... this is the kind of newbie I like to see...

He is a trophy. Stuff him and mount him on the wall. You could tell from his first post that he understood complete information would be required, and that he didn't mind going to some effort to supply it.

By the way Jeff... kindler/gentler pork chops? Does that mean they are unfrozen and deboned?

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Jeff Moden (4/7/2009)

Lynn Pettis (4/7/2009)

Jeff Moden (4/7/2009)

Actually... I don't believe you have to be an MVP to nominate someone. I think anyone can do it. The more, the merrier. That's a helping hint folks... 😉

Where do we Nominate? 🙂 Also can we nominate someone if you dont know theior real name? And just their forum handle? 😀

-Roy

• I think his real name is Foxy Jazz.

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Bob Hovious (4/7/2009)

... this is the kind of newbie I like to see...

He is a trophy. Stuff him and mount him on the wall. You could tell from his first post that he understood complete information would be required, and that he didn't mind going to some effort to supply it.

By the way Jeff... kindler/gentler pork chops? Does that mean they are unfrozen and deboned?

Nah... tenderized... with a hammer. Then the hammer gets rolled up in the pork chop. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (4/7/2009)

Actually... I don't believe you have to be an MVP to nominate someone. I think anyone can do it. The more, the merrier.

Anyone can, though nominations by MVPs or MS employees are given much more weight (from what I've heard). Also, it's actually not the more the merrier (except when talking about number of MVPs here)

Total number worldwide across all disciplines is capped at around 4000.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 3,256 through 3,270 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply