Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

Worse, what if more tables get added, how do i create a polygon in tsql?

Meh! Dodecahedron with the emphasis on doh!

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (1/31/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

Worse, what if more tables get added, how do i create a polygon in tsql?

Meh! Dodecahedron with the emphasis on doh!

Since there's no actual limitation on the number of joins in a query, why not go for the Apeirogon?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• SQL Server Audit logs are weird.

Under the Date column in the Log, jobs show the correct time, but manual processes are -5 Hours.

Under the Message column in the log, jobs show +5 hours, but manual processes show the correct time.

Wacky!

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• BrainDonor (1/31/2012)

Somebody is about to submit an astounding piece of homework http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1244144.aspx

Ah the temptation to post a solution using Union All and a Pivot operator to avoid using Join! It would answer the exact question, but would the prof pass it or not?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

Greg Edwards-268690 (1/31/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/31/2012)

Must have been the 3rd table that caused the confusion.

Book only showed 2 in an example.

πŸ˜€

Shows what happens when I think - other people laugh at me.:-P

With three tables in the join, how can I write that triangle in code? Worse, what if more tables get added, how do i create a polygon in tsql?

I have actually had to create code for a triangle table IRL for our actuarial team. Talk about pain!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GSquared (1/31/2012)

BrainDonor (1/31/2012)

Somebody is about to submit an astounding piece of homework http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1244144.aspx

Ah the temptation to post a solution using Union All and a Pivot operator to avoid using Join! It would answer the exact question, but would the prof pass it or not?

Temptation was too much for me, thanks for the idea :hehe:

--edit--

And now I feel bad for future google searchers - should I add a note saying that the union all/pivot is a joke?

Forever trying to learn
    My blog - http://www.cadavre.co.uk/
    For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/
    For better, quicker answers on SQL Server performance related questions, click on the following...http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

πŸ˜€

With three tables in the join, how can I write that triangle in code? Worse, what if more tables get added, how do i create a polygon in tsql?

I have actually had to create code for a triangle table IRL for our actuarial team. Talk about pain!

Geometry must be a skill to master in order to become SQL Expert.

Maybe as interview question, explain geometric relationship used in sample query?

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/31/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

πŸ˜€

Maybe as interview question, explain geometric relationship used in sample query?

YIKES! If people are going to start asking me that at interviews, I'd best go back and review that code, plus recreate it with all the new T-SQL techniques so I'm not using bassakwards 2000 T-SQL techniques.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/31/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

πŸ˜€

YIKES! If people are going to start asking me that at interviews, I'd best go back and review that code, plus recreate it with all the new T-SQL techniques so I'm not using bassakwards 2000 T-SQL techniques.

I was thinking along the lines of the popular answers to interview question threads that some seem to want to memorize and become true experts. It would be fun in the right setting to ask that and see the response.:w00t:

An icebreaker.....

• Greg Edwards-268690 (1/31/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

πŸ˜€

I was thinking along the lines of the popular answers to interview question threads that some seem to want to memorize and become true experts. It would be fun in the right setting to ask that and see the response.:w00t:

An icebreaker.....

Interviewer: Explain using geometry components in SQL Server.

Me: ... ... ... Oh, wait, you're serious? You put them there until you decide you've lost your mind, then go get software that does it for you.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (1/31/2012)

SQLRNNR (1/31/2012)

πŸ˜€

An icebreaker.....

Interviewer: Explain using geometry components in SQL Server.

Me: ... ... ... Oh, wait, you're serious? You put them there until you decide you've lost your mind, then go get software that does it for you.

Wait? or Octagon?

Sounds like you use them as placeholders.

I will have to test, although it might be hard for me to determine when I have lost my mind.

• Ok, the embedded quotes occupy a whole screen now...

• SQL Kiwi (1/31/2012)

Ok, the embedded quotes occupy a whole screen now...

I need a filter to whack multiple embedded quotes. It can be quite annoying.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/31/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/31/2012)

Wait to whack them until they get to two screens.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/31/2012)

SQL Kiwi (1/31/2012)

Great idea!

This post was sponsored by the number '9'.

Viewing 15 posts - 34,066 through 34,080 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply