Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (2/10/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (2/10/2012)

Worth the read: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/10/03/111003fa_fact_gawande

Absolutely. I enjoyed that one a lot.

BTW, since you guys have no doubt stopped laughing over my applying to the mentor program, this is what I was looking for.

No worries, we haven't stopped laughing...:-P:hehe:

wish I had one...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Thx for all the advice. Yes, they have plans for me to go higher up in the management. I have been asked to manage all Development teams and projects. It is challenging.

I have to figure out a way to keep the meetings short and effective. That is the biggest challenge. One thing is I am still in charge of bringing in new technologies for SQL Server.

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (2/10/2012)

Thx for all the advice. Yes, they have plans for me to go higher up in the management. I have been asked to manage all Development teams and projects. It is challenging.

I have to figure out a way to keep the meetings short and effective. That is the biggest challenge. One thing is I am still in charge of bringing in new technologies for SQL Server.

It takes practice and getting your team to 'unlearn' the meeting philosphy, which is bring your kitchen sink with you. You CAN have 10 minute meetings. The trick is to make sure everyone's on the ball on entry, nail down what needs to be done as a group, and move on.

That and make sure you're not managed by committee.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Make your meetings stand up meetings. No one sits. You will see how quickly people want to get through the meeting.

• We have stand up meetings.. But some of them are architectural and design meetings. Business impact meetings. Those usually take time. My goal is to keep it within 45 minutes

-Roy

• My trick for having everybody on time and keeping meetings short: the first point on the agenda is assignment of unpleasant tasks. Who is not there gets them. That done, the rest of the meeting is usually short.

• Roy

Thx for all the advice. Yes, they have plans for me to go higher up in the management. I have been asked to manage all Development teams and projects. It is challenging.

Roy I once had a manager who created a brief outline of what each meeting was to cover ( a max of 10 subjects) and the duration of the meeting, which was 10 minutes per invited attendee at max, if the subjects to be covered were a few the meeting duration was reduced to 5 minutes per attendee. Now all it took on my managers part was to keep things moving along. He bought a time along (something like your wife might use during cooking) set it for the meeting duration and when the timer started beeping .. that was it meeting adjourned. It took just 2 such meetings for all involved to realize their parts in meeting the time interval, and as an attendee along with others actually began to enjoy going to his meetings. Now that may work for the meetings you call, but not the ones you are required to attend. To assist there, invite the head(s) of the meetings you must attend (one at a time) to one of your meetings. Let them see how you do things and who knows they may copy your technique and viola you will wind up spending more time doing what you want to do, and be congratulated on being innovative.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Interesting ideas. 🙂 I will try the timer method. I like that one. 🙂

-Roy

• Roy

One item I failed to mention, the outline/subject matter for the meeting was distributed by my manager the day before the scheduled meeting

Another "trick" my manager used. Had coffee/tea/donuts/pastry on the table starting 10 minutes before the meeting, free for all attendees, at start time his secretary came in carted the freebies out. Did certainly encourage the attendess to be early.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Lynn Pettis (2/10/2012)

Make your meetings stand up meetings. No one sits. You will see how quickly people want to get through the meeting.

Yup: Stand-up Meetiongs[/url] 😀

• One thing not to do...

Tuesday morning: 2 hour 'strategy' meeting with developers (actually a glorified progress and task allocation meeting)

Thursday afternoon: 4 hour departmental progress meeting (including dev team)

Yes, that was a weekly thing at ex-client. Most people took laptops and carried on with their work during the meeting

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Chad Crawford (2/10/2012)

Lynn Pettis (2/10/2012)

Make your meetings stand up meetings. No one sits. You will see how quickly people want to get through the meeting.

Yup: Stand-up Meetiongs[/url] 😀

Thats a good one. 🙂

Ron, the idea of free donuts wont work but our company always keeps snacks and Cold drinks for free for all employees. 🙁

-Roy

• Gail, That is horrible. I will never be able to do that kind of meeting. After an hr to the max, I would walk out. My mind will become blank if I sit in a meeting more than an hr.

-Roy

• Roy,

Kevin Kline has some excellent blog posts/presentations about meetings that you should check out. I think he did one for the first 24hop that was great and was recorded so you might still be able to get it from PASS somehow.

A few of key things I've picked up:

1. Have an agenda and distribute it the day before so people can be prepared. Ron mentioned he had a manager that did that. Of course you have to stick to the agenda, but that's your job as the meeting organizer.

2. Only have the people in the meeting that absolutely need to be there. If they only need to be there for part of the meeting let them go.

3. Have action items that come from the meeting. If I go to meeting I want to have something to do from the meeting. If not I probably wasn't needed.

4. Follow up with an email summarizing the meeting and assignments after the meeting. Don't assume that people took notes or wrote down their assignments. They were probably doodling or doing a puzzle.:-D

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Thanks Jack for the excellent advice. The next two week is going to be challenging. My CTO is off the island. So everything has to be taken care off. I am hoping that things will go smoothly.

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 34,261 through 34,275 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply