Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (3/14/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (3/14/2012)

Back on topic, yes, they definitely are: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1266924.aspx

I actually laughed out loud.

Well it's one of our old friends, so are you that surprised?

Amazing he is still around. Looking at some of his posts it seems like he really hasn't learned much since he joined in 2008.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/13/2012)

I'd like to think that we aren't "parenting" newbies like this: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304450004577277482565674646.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet (about 15 paras in)

Wait, that was done in southern California, does that really count? 😛

This is a tough area. We certainly struggle with it for all our kids. Especially hard since we home school right now. Certainly Americans as a whole have a sense of entitlement (myself included in some ways) and we are passing that on to our kids and it is hard to reverse.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (3/14/2012)

Wait, that was done in southern California, does that really count? 😛

I thought that was pretty funny. As soon as I read that, I thought "this is research?". Seems more like an experiment.

sp_OA* (for those who find CLR too safe)

Some things just never go away. That dates from 6.5, doesn't it?

It's nearly 7 years since Ken Henderson blogged

...With the advent of CLR stored procedures in SQL Server 2005, the custom extended procedure era will hopefully be soon behind us. Xprocs were a good idea....

Mind you, I think I can get sillier than the end of your list: How about this one?

A regular job on the remote system generates an Excel file with the data in it (or an XML object, or an html table - take your pick) and emails it as an attachment; this is picked up by outlook on the local server, and parked in an inbox; the email is collected from the inbox by another job which scans the inbox regularly, and parks the data in a table. Jobs all scheduled by SQL Agent, x-acxtive job steps use CDO for email because it's easier than SQL email (well, it was in SQL 2000, provided you had a decent interface layer to get from x-active J-Script to stored procs/parametrised queries).

Tom

• Lynn Pettis (3/14/2012)

I'm sorry, I have to ask. If they could have attachments for the first 24,000 years why did this one Jedi Master decide it was bad?

It wasn't one. It was part of a whole re-organisation of both the Republic and the Jedi Order after the New Sith Wars, the Republic Dark Age, the Brotherhood of Darkness and the Battle of Rusaan. In terms of galactic significance, those events were far more severe than the Clone Wars and lasted centuries.

That's just the particular Jedi Master's quote that I have on hand.

Interestingly enough, the events around the Battle of Rusaan also lead to a re-organisation among the Sith, resulting in the form that we see in the prequel movies (1000 or so years later) of one Master, one Apprentice only.

That said, even before the 'banning' of attachments, the philosophy and practice of the Order was that a Jedi was dedicated firstly to the Force, then to the Order and the Republic and after that anything else. Not much space left for personal attachments even when it was allowed.

To quote another Jedi Master from way earlier in history "I offer you little more than a life of solitude and servitude. There will be long periods of isolation from your fellow sentient beings, and long instances of service to them. A Jedi lives to serve; be it the will of the Force, the will of the Senate or the will of the people, a Jedi is a servant first and everything else after."

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • L' Eomot Inversé (3/14/2012)

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

sp_OA* (for those who find CLR too safe)

Some things just never go away. That dates from 6.5, doesn't it?

No idea, my usage of SQL started with 2000.

I have recently seen the OA procs used to fetch and process data from Oracle. I couldn't believe it when I first saw it, pages of 'VB' in the middle of a SQL procedure

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

[

It was part of a whole re-organisation of both the Republic and the Jedi Order after the New Sith Wars, the Republic Dark Age, the Brotherhood of Darkness and the Battle of Rusaan. In terms of galactic significance, those events were far more severe than the Clone Wars and lasted centuries.

Is this a series of books somewhere? Recommendations on how to read them (order-wise)?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/14/2012)

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

It was part of a whole re-organisation of both the Republic and the Jedi Order after the New Sith Wars, the Republic Dark Age, the Brotherhood of Darkness and the Battle of Rusaan. In terms of galactic significance, those events were far more severe than the Clone Wars and lasted centuries.

Is this a series of books somewhere? Recommendations on how to read them (order-wise)?

Books, Graphic novels, games, RPG source books and a whole patchwork of other bits and pieces. I use Wookiepedia when I need details (got the overall plot mostly from the Knights of the Old Republic games, the Jedi Knight games and the StarWars d20 RPG source books)

If you want some really excellent Old Republic material, see if you can get hold of the Tales of the Jedi series of graphic novels (and if you can I want to borrow them one time I visit).

It's set around 4000 BBY1 , during the Great Sith War (probably the 4th great galactic war between the Republic/Jedi and the Sith)

For some of the aftermath of Ruusan, around 1000 BBY (I spelt it wrong earlier) maybe the Darth Bane trilogy, no idea how good it is. Path of destruction, Rule of Two, Dynasty of Evil.

(1) BBY: Before the Battle of Yavin. A calendar used in the New Republic based off the destruction of the first Death Star

Gail Shaw

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/14/2012)

This?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Tales-Jedi/dp/1593078307

and this: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Omnibus-Tales-Jedi/dp/1593079117/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Those are way cheaper than last time I saw them. Time to buy maybe...

Here's the first of the Darth Bane books: http://www.amazon.com/Path-Destruction-Star-Wars-Darth/dp/0345477375/ref=pd_sim_b_9

Edit: And if you're interested in the origins of Darth Sideous (aka the Emperor) http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Plagueis-James-Luceno/dp/034551128X/ref=pd_sim_b_3

Gail Shaw

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

jcrawf02 (3/14/2012)

I don't know, that's always bothered me because he never went back before then to even check on her (at least we're not told that) but he's got this immense attachment that he's hiding somewhere.

Jedi aren't supposed to have attachments. Their loyalties are the the Force, the Order, the Republic and to themselves and no other. "A Jedi is a Jedi, first, foremost and only. For a Jedi to divide his attentions between the will of the Force and the will of others is to invite disaster" Master Hoche Trit ~1000 BBY

Hence he would have been encouraged not to check up on her.

It's worth noting that the prohibition of attachments was a reasonably late rule of the Order, it was only in effect from the time of the battle of Rusaan (~1000 BBY) until the destruction of the Order by Palpatine and Vader. So 1000 years out of the 25 000 year history.

Sorry, when I play in Starwars RPGs I tend to play Jedi, so I can spout off portions of the Code

I'm sorry, I have to ask. If they could have attachments for the first 24,000 years why did this one Jedi Master decide it was bad? Seems like it could create tensions that might add to a young Jedi falling prey to the Dark Side.

In reality, priests could have families for the first several hundred to 1000 years of the church. The celibacy thing only started because priests were handing down their parishes to their sons and gaining too much local power and independence from Rome.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

Back on topic, yes, they definitely are: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1266924.aspx

Amazing he is still around. Looking at some of his posts it seems like he really hasn't learned much since he joined in 2008.

What I find surprising is that he kept his job.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/14/2012)

venoym (3/14/2012)

I've let my son (age 3) watch them in a certain order. So far he's done episodes 4, 6 and then 1. No offense to anyone, but letting a young child watch 5, 2, and 3 is a recipe for nightmares (especially 5 and 3). When he's older then we'll let him watch the remaining 3... but he is into star trek right now.... thank you netflix for having all series/seasons on instant watch!

What series is he watching? I ended up getting the dvds of the original series with all the space special effects redone, completely worth it.

He and I are working our way through DS9 season 2. probably going to swap to TNG or TOS early seasons before going into later seasons of DS9.

• Gianluca Sartori (3/15/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/14/2012)

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

What I find surprising is that he kept his job.

BUT, what is really cool is the support that is still given. What a great group!

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Stefan Krzywicki (3/14/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/14/2012)

GilaMonster (3/14/2012)

jcrawf02 (3/14/2012)

I don't know, that's always bothered me because he never went back before then to even check on her (at least we're not told that) but he's got this immense attachment that he's hiding somewhere.

Jedi aren't supposed to have attachments. Their loyalties are the the Force, the Order, the Republic and to themselves and no other. "A Jedi is a Jedi, first, foremost and only. For a Jedi to divide his attentions between the will of the Force and the will of others is to invite disaster" Master Hoche Trit ~1000 BBY

Hence he would have been encouraged not to check up on her.

It's worth noting that the prohibition of attachments was a reasonably late rule of the Order, it was only in effect from the time of the battle of Rusaan (~1000 BBY) until the destruction of the Order by Palpatine and Vader. So 1000 years out of the 25 000 year history.

Sorry, when I play in Starwars RPGs I tend to play Jedi, so I can spout off portions of the Code

I'm sorry, I have to ask. If they could have attachments for the first 24,000 years why did this one Jedi Master decide it was bad? Seems like it could create tensions that might add to a young Jedi falling prey to the Dark Side.

In reality, priests could have families for the first several hundred to 1000 years of the church. The celibacy thing only started because priests were handing down their parishes to their sons and gaining too much local power and independence from Rome.

I'm not sure that's the only reason for celibacy. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 7:32-33

32 [...]He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:

33But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 34,756 through 34,770 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply