Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (3/26/2012)

Jeff Moden (3/25/2012)

GSquared (3/23/2012)

Reminds me indirectly of one of my three bosses at a job a couple of years ago. He ended up compulsively disagreeing with me. A couple of times, just to test it, I would wait for him to assert something, then I'd wait a minute or two later in the conversation, and would then repeat back his assertion word-for-word. He would immediately disagree with it. Was amusing in its own way.

I wasn't the only one who noticed that he'd disagree with me about everything. So a co-worker got into the habit of taking anything useful I'd said, which that boss had disagreed with, and parroting it back. The boss would immediately agree and we'd go ahead with whatever plan I had already been told not to do.

And, yes, I'm willing to be that kind of manipulative if it's needed.

Gosh... I've been there and had that happen to me, as well. The only difference is that I won't and don't tolerate it and will take any and all corrective actions necessary because having a boss like that affects the whole team. Sometimes they don't realize they're doing it and the corrective action is simply to make them aware. Sometimes it's malicious and other, sometimes much more severe, actions are required.

Wasn't really an option in this case.

Remarkably, despite this, it was commented on repeatedly by other co-workers that I got along with that guy (the boss mentioned) better than just about anyone in the history of the company.

His background was long-term military (Army special forces Seargeant) and academia (PhD in Comp Sci), and thus a little rough to get along with and addicted to a level of beaurocracy that drove most people to distraction. But at the same time, wrote brilliant software. His doctoral thesis was on the subject of creating UIs that people would like to use, and he was very, very good at that. Took FOREVER to get any project up to the point of actually writing any code. Pages and pages and pages of planning, case-studies, and documentation before the first line of code would be written. But once he got started on coding, it would be secure, performant, scalable, and would do exactly what the end-users actually needed, even if that violated what they had asked for.

Just really, really tough to get along with, and absolutely certain his every opinion was gospel and that anything that disagreed with his personal experiences in any slightest detail was unquestionably either wrong or just plain false.

And even he knew he was hard to get along with. Made jokes about it at times.

So, no real fix for it, but my workarounds got the job done. And other managers were impressed that I did as well as I did with him.

That would make it both interesting and a challenge to work for him. Here's an interesting thought, considering that you had some respect for what he could do in the trenches. Maybe the 'game' was being played by more players everyone thought.

• GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/23/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/23/2012)

Wants a primary key on fname and lname.

You say that like it should be obvious it's a bad idea. I got so much flak from a client who screamed at me, my boss and anyone else around because a system I wrote couldn't automatically match the drivers imported to the appropriate record in the HR system.

The only thing in the data file on the drivers was name and surname. The HR system had a artificial primary key, a lot of the records were missing ID Number (government-issued ID), so what were they expecting me to use to match, other than magic....

I have run into the same problem. Better yet was the use of the same government id for multiple persons. That was a lot of fun.

Seen that too, along with invalid IDs (South African ID numbers have a strict structure). In a government database just to make matters more fun.

I've got a fun one to add to that list. Working in healthcare insurance. In the US, our Social Security Numbers are assigned for life and are supposed to be unique. However, our volume of illegal immigrant labor makes for some invalidation of those rules.

So, shock me for a fool when I tried to use SSN as a key in one of their systems. I knew of the existance of the problem and figured we'd just get the 1 or 2 records sorted out and the company would be happy to know about double ups like this (and would also help lower the chances of data entry foul-ups).

When I did the duplicate check we had 5000+ records that were duplicating SSNs. When I brought this up the chain I was basically told "Heh. Only 5000 or so? I guess we're getting better at finding the duplicates".

I was stunned.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (3/26/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/23/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/23/2012)

You say that like it should be obvious it's a bad idea. I got so much flak from a client who screamed at me, my boss and anyone else around because a system I wrote couldn't automatically match the drivers imported to the appropriate record in the HR system.

The only thing in the data file on the drivers was name and surname. The HR system had a artificial primary key, a lot of the records were missing ID Number (government-issued ID), so what were they expecting me to use to match, other than magic....

I have run into the same problem. Better yet was the use of the same government id for multiple persons. That was a lot of fun.

Seen that too, along with invalid IDs (South African ID numbers have a strict structure). In a government database just to make matters more fun.

I've got a fun one to add to that list. Working in healthcare insurance. In the US, our Social Security Numbers are assigned for life and are supposed to be unique. However, our volume of illegal immigrant labor makes for some invalidation of those rules.

So, shock me for a fool when I tried to use SSN as a key in one of their systems. I knew of the existance of the problem and figured we'd just get the 1 or 2 records sorted out and the company would be happy to know about double ups like this (and would also help lower the chances of data entry foul-ups).

When I did the duplicate check we had 5000+ records that were duplicating SSNs. When I brought this up the chain I was basically told "Heh. Only 5000 or so? I guess we're getting better at finding the duplicates".

I was stunned.

You do know that under the Social Security Act that Social Security Numbers are not supposed to be used as a form of identification?

• Evil Kraig F (3/26/2012)

In the US, our Social Security Numbers are assigned for life and are supposed to be unique. However, our volume of illegal immigrant labor makes for some invalidation of those rules.

I was stunned.

I'm surprised the number is so low given the number of identity thieves selling fake SSNs to illegal immigrants so they can get jobs, etc. It's quite the thriving industry... So I've been told.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lynn Pettis (3/26/2012)

Evil Kraig F (3/26/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/23/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/23/2012)

I was stunned.

You do know that under the Social Security Act that Social Security Numbers are not supposed to be used as a form of identification?

Enforcement of that law fell by the wayside a long, long time ago.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Evil Kraig F (3/26/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/23/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/23/2012)

I was stunned.

Agreed... and it says so right on my Social Security card.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I've got a fun one to add to that list. Working in healthcare insurance. In the US, our Social Security Numbers are assigned for life and are supposed to be unique.

The numbers are in fact unique for all known living participants. Notice they are assigned for life, not eternity? These numbers can, and have been, recycled after death. There are actually a somewhat staggeringly low number of values that can be used. The first 2 digits are representative of geographical location. For example you can reasonably certain that an SSN that begins with a 0 is from the East Coast.

Then of course no matter what system you have that is storing SSN there is a certain amount of possibility of fraud. Employment systems are not the only ones, although they are challenged quite a bit on duplicate SSN due to illegal immigration and SSN sharing. Another industry that is challenged with duplicates is credit card companies. Identity theft and the subsequent request for fraudulent credit causes a number of duplicate SSNs in a system.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• bitbucket-25253 (3/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2012)

Evil Kraig F (3/26/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

SQLRNNR (3/23/2012)

GilaMonster (3/23/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/23/2012)

I was stunned.

Yea, I know, but it is fun to point out. Actually used that argument at a grocery store years ago when they wanted my SSN on my check. I refuse to give it as they had no reason to have it.

bitbucket-25253 (3/26/2012)

Lynn Pettis (3/26/2012)

Yea, I know, but it is fun to point out. Actually used that argument at a grocery store years ago when they wanted my SSN on my check. I refuse to give it as they had no reason to have it.

Oh, I know, but hey it was there and was an easy natural key in int format. You're right, though, it's not really supposed to be used except for employment and government identification. However, being as we were processing things like Medicare to the government, it was a required item for us.

I'll leave the wrangling with laws up to the lawyers at the company, I'm just there to make sure the spice data flows.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Sean Lange (3/26/2012)

I've got a fun one to add to that list. Working in healthcare insurance. In the US, our Social Security Numbers are assigned for life and are supposed to be unique.

The numbers are in fact unique for all known living participants. Notice they are assigned for life, not eternity? These numbers can, and have been, recycled after death. There are actually a somewhat staggeringly low number of values that can be used. The first 2 digits are representative of geographical location. For example you can reasonably certain that an SSN that begins with a 0 is from the East Coast.

Then of course no matter what system you have that is storing SSN there is a certain amount of possibility of fraud. Employment systems are not the only ones, although they are challenged quite a bit on duplicate SSN due to illegal immigration and SSN sharing. Another industry that is challenged with duplicates is credit card companies. Identity theft and the subsequent request for fraudulent credit causes a number of duplicate SSNs in a system.

Serves the credit card companies right for breaking the law. Their only use for the SSN is sompletely illegal.

As Ron said, enforcement of that law fell by the wayside long ago. The reason it fell was that the companies who wanted to break that law could buy their freedom to do so with campaign contributions. How long is it now since the USA ceased to be a democracy and became a plutocracy?

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (3/26/2012)

Sean Lange (3/26/2012)

I've got a fun one to add to that list. Working in healthcare insurance. In the US, our Social Security Numbers are assigned for life and are supposed to be unique.

Servers the credit card companies right for breaking the law. Their only use for the SSN is sompletely illegal.

As Ron said, enforcement of that law fell by the wayside long ago. The reason it fell was that the companies who wanted to break that law could buy their freedom to do so with campaign contributions. How long is it now since the USA ceased to be a democracy and became a plutocracy?

The other question to ask is when did we stop being a Republic?

• Kiara (3/26/2012)

Happy Monday, folks!

Just coming up for air after a couple of weeks of crazy. Figured I'd catch up on The Thread and say "Hi".

Hi, back. Welcome to this week's episode of "Politics as Usual." @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/26/2012)

Kiara (3/26/2012)

Happy Monday, folks!

Just coming up for air after a couple of weeks of crazy. Figured I'd catch up on The Thread and say "Hi".

Hi, back. Welcome to this week's episode of "Politics as Usual." @=)

It's an election year. Hard to avoid around the water coolers.

- Craig Farrell

• How would you all like to design the system (and database) around this one: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/opinion/frum-identity-cards/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

• Brandie Tarvin (3/26/2012)

How would you all like to design the system (and database) around this one: http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/26/opinion/frum-identity-cards/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

Sold. Can we start the tech spec tomorrow?

- Craig Farrell

Viewing 15 posts - 34,951 through 34,965 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply