Lord of the threads

Pulp threadtion

Hell Threader

• One Thread to rule them all.

One Thread to find them.

One Thread to bring them all

and in the darkness bind them....

Glad you could join us, Flo.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• RBarryYoung (4/16/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (4/16/2009)

[font="Verdana"]On another site I frequented, this was known as the "coke spew". You got extra points if it was a nasal coke spew.[/font]

Ow, now that burns!

Try it with Vernor's Ginger Ale, sometime. The cheap stuff Pepsico now makes isn't quite as exciting as the stuff that used to be aged in wooden barrels for 7 years, but it'll still clear the sinuses.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff, I still have the PM where you said something about spewing soup as well. Remember the comment? She who walked on water because she knew where the rocks are.

• Am I so obsessed with big round numbers that I would post to The Thread just as an attempt to be number 3500?

• Yes, John, you were.... and you were.

(applause, thunderous applause)

But now we're at 3501 and moving on towards 4,000... the moment was just too good to last.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Jeff Moden (4/16/2009)

RBarryYoung (4/16/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (4/16/2009)

[font="Verdana"]On another site I frequented, this was known as the "coke spew". You got extra points if it was a nasal coke spew.[/font]

Ow, now that burns!

Try it with Vernor's Ginger Ale, sometime. The cheap stuff Pepsico now makes isn't quite as exciting as the stuff that used to be aged in wooden barrels for 7 years, but it'll still clear the sinuses.

Hah. When I was in college I once sneezed while eating a hot Italian sausage. I didn't lose that "burning ice pick up your nostrils" feeling for days. *ow!*

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• john.arnott (4/16/2009)

Am I so obsessed with big round numbers that I would ...

Coincidentally, that's also how I got my first date... :w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• To Thread or not to Thread, that is the question;

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The angst and flames of outrageous posters,

Or to take arms against a sea of Threads,

And by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep;

No more; and by a sleep to say we end.

(with apologies to Shakespeare)

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• RBarryYoung (4/16/2009)

john.arnott (4/16/2009)

C'mon Barry ya can't just leave this one hanging! Oh wait, you're not saying she was a big round number are ya? πŸ˜›

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• David Burrows (4/17/2009)

To Thread or not to Thread, that is the question;

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The angst and flames of outrageous posters,

Or to take arms against a sea of Threads,

And by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep;

No more; and by a sleep to say we end.

(with apologies to Shakespeare)

There is no question.

Resistance is futile.

You will be Threaded.

Derek

• Chris Morris (4/17/2009)

RBarryYoung (4/16/2009)

john.arnott (4/16/2009)

C'mon Barry ya can't just leave this one hanging! Oh wait, you're not saying she was a big round number are ya? πŸ˜›

Exactly!

[/font]

• There's nothing wrong with being a chubbychaser!

Dammit, where are those screenwipes? πŸ˜€

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Note to self: Only drink water... in small sips... while reading The Thread.

• RBarryYoung (4/17/2009)

Chris Morris (4/17/2009)

RBarryYoung (4/16/2009)

john.arnott (4/16/2009)

Exactly!

No way Darth, I've seen the movie, can't fool me. You got your first date when your pedophilic girlfriend was running for her life and stopped by the junk shop you were enslaved to. πŸ˜›

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Viewing 15 posts - 3,496 through 3,510 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply