Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (8/31/2013)

Cool. That relieves a lot of pressure. I haven't taken a single Microsoft certification. Now, since the only one I respect is gone, I don't have to.

+1

• GilaMonster (8/31/2013)

Just ....

Microsoft will no longer offer Masters and Architect level training rotations and will be retiring the Masters level certification exams as of October 1, 2013.

Sent late on a Friday night, right before a USA long weekend.

At least I no longer have to worry about budgeting for the upgrade exam.

Well, there is that positive spin to take from it. I had forgotten about that cost

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Grant Fritchey (8/31/2013)

Cool. That relieves a lot of pressure. I haven't taken a single Microsoft certification. Now, since the only one I respect is gone, I don't have to.

Can I quote that on a blog post?

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/31/2013)

Grant Fritchey (8/31/2013)

I said much the same here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1490072-1292-1.aspx#bm1490366

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SQLRNNR (8/31/2013)

Yeah, don't see why not. I said something similar on Twitter.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Jeff Moden (8/31/2013)

Grant, you're just as amazing. No "real" formal training but a great speaker on multiple subjects and you've written two of the best books on Execution Plans that there will ever be.

Do I owe you money or something? Ha!

Blushing over here. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster (9/1/2013)

SQLRNNR (8/31/2013)

I said much the same here: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1490072-1292-1.aspx#bm1490366

Very nice.

Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (8/31/2013)

Just ....

Microsoft will no longer offer Masters and Architect level training rotations and will be retiring the Masters level certification exams as of October 1, 2013.

That's just sad.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Brandie Tarvin (8/30/2013)

YAY! I have a new computer at work.

Which means I have just spent all morning recovering all my SSMS options, importing my email files, etc. etc. And now I have to figure out how to force BIDS to open up T-SQL into SSMS.

I did it once. I just can't remember where the setting is hiding.

Ah, the pain and pleasure of getting a new PC. Just returned from vacation and there's a new one sitting on my desk.

Pain: Already noted.

Pleasure: Has SQL 2012 installed. Yep! Look out. Time to play. 😛

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Finally installed SQL Server 2012 DE on my work laptop so I play with it out here in Afghanistan.

• dwain.c (9/1/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (8/30/2013)

Which means I have just spent all morning recovering all my SSMS options, importing my email files, etc. etc. And now I have to figure out how to force BIDS to open up T-SQL into SSMS.

Ah, the pain and pleasure of getting a new PC. Just returned from vacation and there's a new one sitting on my desk.

More pain not previously noted. The bozos installed 32 bit versions of everything. Grrrr!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (9/2/2013)

dwain.c (9/1/2013)

More pain not previously noted. The bozos installed 32 bit versions of everything. Grrrr!

Does it matter? Not sure for SQL Server and most things it does

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/2/2013)

dwain.c (9/2/2013)

dwain.c (9/1/2013)

SSAS Tabular might need more than 4GB of RAM.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/2/2013)

dwain.c (9/2/2013)

dwain.c (9/1/2013)

Not so sure about that. Yes, 64 bit Windows machines are able to run 32 bit versions of the same software, but they have to thunk down to 32 bit mode, so that's an additional overhead. Correct me if I'm talking rubbish. Plus as Koen mentioned, they are limited to 4GB of memory (3GB if run on a 32 bit OS). Why would you want to limit yourself in that way if you have the same software as a 64 bit version available on the same DVD?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Koen Verbeeck (9/1/2013)

GilaMonster (8/31/2013)

Just ....

That's just sad.

For those that haven't seen it yet

Connect Item on the Retirement of MCM

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/799431/please-dont-get-rid-of-the-mcm-and-mca-programs

And a lengthy summary of the whole thing

http://jasonbrimhall.info/2013/09/02/rare-species-extinction-and-the-mcm/

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 41,131 through 41,145 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply