Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Greg Edwards-268690 (9/24/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)

dwain.c (9/23/2013)

Grant Fritchey (9/23/2013)

Careful there! NSA monitoring in progress.

Raccoons knocked it off the shelf in the garage in the dead of winter and the PVC tubing just shattered when it hit the cement floor.

Good thing you never loaded a frozen pork chop in there!!! :w00t:

Ever watch the pumpkins fly?

Must be an art to picking one that will take the initial burst of acceleration.

If all you were interested in was the launch, you could always cheat and spray it with an acrylic sealant before launch.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

A recoilless potato rifle??? That would be AWESOME!!!

How expensive would the Gyrojet spuds be, though? πŸ™‚

• paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

I'm thinking a model rocket motor embedded in a potato specially carved for aerodynamics and fitted with deployable fins. Yes, the projectiles get more costly, but that's the tradeoff when you're looking for high-caliber, man-portable potato ordnance.

Jason Wolfkill

• wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

I'm thinking a model rocket motor embedded in a potato specially carved for aerodynamics and fitted with deployable fins. Yes, the projectiles get more costly, but that's the tradeoff when you're looking for high-caliber, man-portable potato ordnance.

You know, the M72 LAW (Light Anti-tank Weapon) fires a 66mm rocket and has nearly zero recoil. However, it does require a fuel source we might not have access to as civilians. It sure would be fun, though!

• paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)One of these days, I'm going to sit down and calculate the muzzle velocity on that bad boy.

Well, ignoring air resistance you'd be talking something like 150mph... πŸ˜€

That's about what I came up with using 32.2ft/sec/sec... ~153 MPH.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Ed Wagner (9/24/2013)

I'd be careful when seeking revenge on the critters in the garage, though. If you use that it sounds like your next project will be repairing the hole in the garage wall before more critters get in.

Nah... no revenge on critters. They didn't know any better.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

Interesting thought! I wonder how well an Estes 9# Thrust Booster Motor would do?

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)

dwain.c (9/23/2013)

Grant Fritchey (9/23/2013)

Careful there! NSA monitoring in progress.

Raccoons knocked it off the shelf in the garage in the dead of winter and the PVC tubing just shattered when it hit the cement floor.

Good thing you never loaded a frozen pork chop in there!!! :w00t:

Ever watch the pumpkins fly?

Must be an art to picking one that will take the initial burst of acceleration.

That would have made it a "stew" gun. πŸ˜› And, yeah... some of the gizmo's people put together for Pumpkin-Chunkin is just absolutely amazing.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

Interesting thought! I wonder how well an Estes 9# Thrust Booster Motor would do?

I'll have to look at that later - I'm busy trying to chuck a potato onto a lathe so I can shape it appropriately.

Jason Wolfkill

• I haven't launched an Estes rocket in almost 40 years, but why stop at potatoes? It strikes me that carrots would make excellent sabot rounds.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

I'll have to look at that later - I'm busy trying to chuck a potato onto a lathe so I can shape it appropriately.

Wood Lathe or Metal Lathe? πŸ˜€

Didn't Ronco sell some potato peeler on TV?

Maybe a door hole saw ans glue several together......

• Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)

dwain.c (9/23/2013)

I'm more interested in the specs on your rail gun pork chop launcher. πŸ˜›

BWAA-HAAA!!!! Sorry... that would be proprietary information. So are the Nitrogen tri-Iodide powered Pixie Sticks. πŸ˜›

Say... you don't happen to know what the coeffecient of drag would be on a 2" diameter, 4 inch long, slighly rounded-at-the-ends Russet spud slug would be do ya? :hehe:

I'm afraid no specific figure could be given, because the drag coefficient depends heavily both on how the potatoe is dressed and on its gender. I suspect Kratman failed to mention the effect of drag coefficient on efficiency in his notes on mixed gender combat units simply because the subject is too complex. (It was Kratman who wrote those notes, wasn't it?)

Tom

• GilaMonster (9/23/2013)

And now that the paperwork has been signed....

November it's good bye consulting, back to full time grind. Starting at a software development house as a technical lead. Focusing on SQL (no surprise there), but they promised that I can dabble in .net from time to time (in places I can't do too much harm)

Mixed feelings. I wanted the consulting to work out, but too many months of too little work.

Gail - Congratulations on finding FTE, but I'm sorry for your loss of the consulting work. Personally, I 100% prefer FTE because of the income stability, but I know it isn't for everyone. Again, my congratulations and condolences at the same time.

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

paul.knibbs (9/24/2013)

wolfkillj (9/24/2013)

Wood Lathe or Metal Lathe? πŸ˜€

Didn't Ronco sell some potato peeler on TV?

Maybe a door hole saw ans glue several together......

Well, actually, a nice mini lathe - just the size for a potato.

Took the fam to a local street festival recently and saw one of these in action - with a little modification, I could set one up with a template and put my 7-year-old to work turning out aerodynamically shaped potato projectiles.

Of course, given that they'll be peeled, those projectiles would have a very limited shelf life. I wonder if turnips would last longer?

Jason Wolfkill

• The Dixie Flatline (9/24/2013)

I haven't launched an Estes rocket in almost 40 years, but why stop at potatoes? It strikes me that carrots would make excellent sabot rounds.

Ooooooo.... now there's an idea. πŸ™‚

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 41,386 through 41,400 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply