Are the posted questions getting worse?

• tosscrosby (5/6/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/6/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (5/6/2009)

[font="Verdana"]Does anyone remember a language called Algol? I believe that in the original form, it had no concept of "reserved words", so it was perfectly valid to write expressions like:

if if then then else else

Of course, you could really confuse matters with:

if else then if else then

... Or was that PL/1?

Bring back PROLOG, I say!

[/font]

I taught myself Algol when the teachers went on strike while I was in high school back in '76. I don't remember it not having the concept of reserved words. I remember you had different routines to print numerics and text. I found it to be an interesting language, and preferred it to Fortran. It also made learning Pascal, Modula-2, and Ada much easier.

I'd love it if someone came out with PROLOG.NET. I had the Borland Turbo Prolog and found it a fun language to play with as well.

Quoting worked now. Anyway, thanks Lynn. I was in HS back then too. At least I know I have someone here somewhere around MY age. And I remember all the languages. I thought FORTRAN was pretty cool. Pascal and PL/I as well. I remember in college (still the "hippie" days) taking FORTRAN, card punches/readers as well. I swear the prof I had was a "love" child, small, skinny, white, male, Afro, mustache, head band. I can picture it like yesterday. But, hey, we we're cutting edge at the time - and thankfully still pretty close to that edge. Thanks for the flashback, or maybe it was all that LSD 😉 - (look it up youngsters, reference Timothy Leary!).

Terry,

you can call me gramps!

• I tend to agree on the restore. It's not a hard thing to do if the db was running in SQL 2005. Worst case, build a DTS/SSIS package into the restore routine that gets called if it's a lower level version.

Course that doesn't necessarily help push people along to the next version. Not as many $$ in going backwards.

• Bruce W Cassidy (5/6/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/6/2009)

Ah well, that's not too bad then. I mean he could have called me carbuncular, that's not too good. 😛

[font="Verdana"]Wait! Oracular![/font]

In a SQL Server Forum? Why not just post your comment in APL?

• Alvin Ramard (5/7/2009)

steve smith (5/7/2009)

Alvin Ramard (5/6/2009)

GSquared (5/6/2009)

Maybe I have the volume on my speakers turned down to far, but I haven't noticed anyone's avatars making any noises at all... (cuz I'm a blonde, yeah yeah yeah!) 🙂

The last thing we need is avatar that speak!!!

Bob was referring to meeting me at the Memphis PASS chapter meeting.

I guess I may have to practice my chipmunk imitation.

Alvin, does that imply (oral) cheek stuffing?

hmmmmm........???

Alvin,

I add the '(oral)' to distance myself from certain images. I thought chipmunks, when in food gathering mode, stuffed their finds in their cheeks until they returned to their storage location, where they then dumped everything out for later consumption. Am I misremembering? It's only been over 20 years since I paid attention to such details. And, please, don't call me Dave.

• steve smith (5/7/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/6/2009)

Ah well, that's not too bad then. I mean he could have called me carbuncular, that's not too good. 😛

Mostly because I lost my special APL keyboard long ago...

😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (5/7/2009)

steve smith (5/7/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/6/2009)

Mostly because I lost my special APL keyboard long ago...

😀

Hey Barry, I could check in the storeroom, I'm pretty sure there are still some of those APL keyboards lying around. Doubt whether they have USB cables attached to them though... 😀

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Hey Barry, I could check in the storeroom, I'm pretty sure there are still some of those APL keyboards lying around. Doubt whether they have USB cables attached to them though...

Is that what soldering irons are for?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I'm sure I can help find an adapter or two if needed.

• You don't need no steeenking special keyboard to write APL.

http://classic.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7747

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Lynn Pettis (5/6/2009)

I refuse to post a link, but I really want to know what our favorite PhD candadate learned while in school for his current degrees.

I'm also curious how he manages to keep his job, besides the help he gets from SSC.

Well I think that this at least partially answers the first question:

k........... (5/7/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/6/2009)

K......:

There is a course in most graduate & undergraduate math & CompSci programs called "Numerical Analysis", have you taken it yet? I ask because it is really all about exactly this kind of thing.

Umm...Yes..RbarryYoung...but i studied it from exam perspective :)...so i don't remember the concepts...Anyway i am going to brush up the concepts.

:w00t:

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Florian Reischl (5/6/2009)

:sick:

CREATE SCHEMA [%]

GO

CREATE TABLE [%].[%] (Id INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY, i INT, [-] INT, [AND] INT, [*] INT, [%] VARCHAR(10))

CREATE INDEX [master.sys.objects] ON [%].[%] ([-]) INCLUDE ([*])

INSERT INTO [%].[%] SELECT 1, 2, 3, 4, 'blah'

SELECT i + [-] * [AND] % [*] [%]

FROM [%].[%]

WHERE [%].[%].[%] = 'blah'

DROP TABLE [%].[%]

DROP SCHEMA [%]

After 5 minutes, still ROTFLMAO

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• RBarryYoung (5/7/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/6/2009)

I refuse to post a link, but I really want to know what our favorite PhD candadate learned while in school for his current degrees.

I'm also curious how he manages to keep his job, besides the help he gets from SSC.

Well I think that this at least partially answers the first question:

k........... (5/7/2009)

RBarryYoung (5/6/2009)

K......:

There is a course in most graduate & undergraduate math & CompSci programs called "Numerical Analysis", have you taken it yet? I ask because it is really all about exactly this kind of thing.

Umm...Yes..RbarryYoung...but i studied it from exam perspective :)...so i don't remember the concepts...Anyway i am going to brush up the concepts.

:w00t:

And did you read his other two posts in that thread? I mean, OMG! HOW does he keep his job??!!??

He is an absolute *****. He disses my code saying yes it works for one row but would require a LOOP to process more than one row. Then he can't understand why the value 12121.03 won't fit in a variable defined as a DECIMAL(8,4).

I mean, give me a break!!!!

And he has a MASTERS Degree??? I want to know what college in India gave him his degree because they obivously are just giving them away.

• Actually, I think that his reply to me makes the whole graduate studies thing pretty clear: its complete hooey. Numerical Analysis is not like Psych 101. You can't just "study for the exams" but "not remember any of the concepts".

The tests for NA requires a lot of ugly calculations done by hand that microscopically demonstrate how the digits of precision get lost at each step. You don't learn that in a day and then just forget it in another. Plus you have to very thoroughly know every different numerical representation and storage scheme. You don't leanr how "two to the M minus one excess mantissa" representation works (that's the non-exponent part of floating-point) and then have trouble counting the left and right digits of DECIMAL(8,4)!

Now if he had said that he hadn't taken it or wasn't going to, that would have been believable (actually many do not take it), but here he's obviously claiming to have done something that he knows nothing about. Frankly, I doubt that he is in school at all.

[/font]

• As for how he keeps his job, there are two obvious possibilities: 1) Civil Service, and 2) Nepotism. These two work pretty much the same, to one degree or another, in almost every country.

[/font]

• The really sad part, he is probably working on an off-shore project for some sap company here in the US that thinks they have someone with a Masters degree working on their project. And someone here in the US with a real Masters degree can't find a job because of the off-shoring of work.

Viewing 15 posts - 4,141 through 4,155 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply