Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Merry Christmas to all. And may your pork chops arrive peacefully on plates, not violently on your occiputs.

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (12/24/2013)

Merry Christmas to all. And may your pork chops arrive peacefully on plates, not violently on your occiputs.

In my Christmas tradition, it is a carp today, and a fowl (in my case duck) tomorrow.

I just want to renew my promise that whenever you are near this postal code, I will make my best to convince you that there is such thing as drinkable bourbon.

Other threadizens, we can always haggle over the bill, but I hope we will get together, soon.

Merry Christmas to all people of good will - among which I trust and hope to count you.

• Revenant (12/24/2013)

L' Eomot Inversé (12/24/2013)

Merry Christmas to all. And may your pork chops arrive peacefully on plates, not violently on your occiputs.

In my Christmas tradition, it is a carp today, and a fowl (in my case duck) tomorrow.

I just want to renew my promise that whenever you are near this postal code, I will make my best to convince you that there is such thing as drinkable bourbon.

Other threadizens, we can always haggle over the bill, but I hope we will get together, soon.

Merry Christmas to all people of good will - among which I trust and hope to count you.

Steve, I have a QA request: please add a 'Do not count towards messages posted' check box for a reply.

I feel really guilty sending a message to a friend - Tom, in this case - as opposed to, say, answering a plight of a poor soul in India who needs help on a Sunday PST.

Thanks, and the most Merry Christmas, Steve.

• Merry Christmas to all!

And may your New Years be filled with new learning opportunities, lasting relationships, new friends, good health and prosperous ventures.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• SQLRNNR (12/19/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (12/19/2013)

GilaMonster (12/19/2013)

Not that I would stoop so low as to beg for votes, but I do need a new costume (Star trek if anyone cares)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TribalAwardsVoting

😀 :hehe: 😉

I am ready to stoop so low, so you can vote for me in the category Best New Voice.

😀 😎

Koen got my vote

Thanks 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Merry christmas everyone, and in case I don't come back in time, a happy new year as well.

• Right now, if I were in one of those old-time jungle movies, I'd be saying "I don't like it, it's too quiet."

I could've parked just about anywhere in the lot or structure this morning. Was the first guy to the office, and there's only something like 4 of us in here today (normally more like ~20-30 of us)...

Tempted to ask the boss if I can bug out and just work 4hrs...

Also: To all, hope you had a happy holiday!

To Lynn: You and everyone there, stay safe!

• Revenant (12/24/2013)

Revenant (12/24/2013)

Steve, I have a QA request: please add a 'Do not count towards messages posted' check box for a reply.

I feel really guilty sending a message to a friend - Tom, in this case - as opposed to, say, answering a plight of a poor soul in India who needs help on a Sunday PST.

I'm not sure this is worth the work, but I understand the sentiment. We are talking about ways we can make some posts count more than others, or perhaps, less.

• Merry Christmas to all and Happy Holidays.

Out of town yesterday, so no posts for me, but I hope everyone had a peaceful, happy day.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/26/2013)

Revenant (12/24/2013)

Revenant (12/24/2013)

I'm not sure this is worth the work, but I understand the sentiment. We are talking about ways we can make some posts count more than others, or perhaps, less.

I'm not sure I see the point in the points anyway. They are not worth anything... unless, Steve, you can turn them into Bitcoin!?!? That would be 😎

Tom

• Revenant (12/24/2013)

Or perhaps, don't count messages posted in "The Thread"??? Not sure how others feel about that.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (12/26/2013)

Revenant (12/24/2013)

Or perhaps, don't count messages posted in "The Thread"??? Not sure how others feel about that.

Wut? It's my main source of points. I'm lost without it!

:hehe:

(just kidding though)

• Revenant (12/24/2013)

Revenant (12/24/2013)

Don't feel guilty - there are many good reasons to "count" those posts even if you are trying to keep an accurate measurement of "helpfulness". It may not have answered a particular technical question, but it may have:

--Helped build/grow the SQL Server community

--Improved relationships between professionals

--Encouraged others to participate on the forums by building a comfortable environment (Not just Tom, but all us lurkers like a nice friendly place to hang out)

--Perhaps Tom needed a lifting of spirit or feeling of friendship (not saying you do Tom, just sayn' it could have)

--Several others that don't come to mind right off, I'm sure.

There have been times that I've gone to lunch with a group just to build better relationships... I called it work, and in my opinion this falls under the same general heading. Just because our chatter is lighter in this thread doesn't make it unimportant. In my mind, it's just as important as some of the other threads that are more technical in nature. I know that without the thread, I probably wouldn't visit SSC as often, nor have as frequent interaction with good, high-caliber SQL folk. So thank you for helping make this a nice water cooler to hang out around.

Chad

• There have been times that I've gone to lunch with a group just to build better relationships... I called it work, and in my opinion this falls under the same general heading. Just because our chatter is lighter in this thread doesn't make it unimportant. In my mind, it's just as important as some of the other threads that are more technical in nature. I know that without the thread, I probably wouldn't visit SSC as often, nor have as frequent interaction with good, high-caliber SQL folk. So thank you for helping make this a nice water cooler to hang out around

+1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (12/26/2013)

There have been times that I've gone to lunch with a group just to build better relationships... I called it work, and in my opinion this falls under the same general heading. Just because our chatter is lighter in this thread doesn't make it unimportant. In my mind, it's just as important as some of the other threads that are more technical in nature. I know that without the thread, I probably wouldn't visit SSC as often, nor have as frequent interaction with good, high-caliber SQL folk. So thank you for helping make this a nice water cooler to hang out around

+1

Well said - thanks.

Steve, I retract my suggestion. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 42,466 through 42,480 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply