Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Koen Verbeeck (7/29/2014)

Lynn Pettis (7/28/2014)

dwain.c (7/28/2014)

Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

This thread is our water cooler. It is a place where we can let our hair down...

Easy for you to say. I assume you have hair.

Why yes I do. In fact, it hasn't been cut since I returned to Afghanistan at the end of February. πŸ˜€

You hippie πŸ™‚

Ah, you beat me to that comment πŸ™‚

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/28/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/28/2014)

This guy can explain it better than I can:

Why I no longer contribute to StackOverflow

Very interesting.

I hope we've avoided some of that, though I'd like to incorporate some of what SO does. I'd like to better score answers and points, though I think I'd limit the value of upvotes/downvotes, especially over time.

The recent Mark as Answer feature added here does help find the answer amongst the discussions which is a good addition IMHO.

Michael's point about giving fishes/teaching to fish is a good one, but that is SO's stated aim, whilst SSC deliberately takes the teaching path. Are there many other sites out there based around other disciplines/dialects that take this approach?

Ask SSC is closer conceptually to SO than SSC proper.

I tend to ignore SO when looking for SQL Server answers, but I've found it useful when looking for help with other RDBMS, Powershell, VB, and others.

• Lynn Pettis (7/28/2014)

bantrim (7/28/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/28/2014)

bantrim (7/28/2014)

Lynn Pettis (7/28/2014)

bantrim (7/28/2014)

I'm interested in this answer as well. I have definitely encountered a fair amount of pretentious responses and posts there (then again, look at this thread's topic), but they are (both) outweighed by the indispensable amount of help I have received from a typically very helpful and kind community.

Welcome to The Thread as well. As you are new here a very brief history. Yes, this thread began as a rant about questions being posted SSC. It has also grown from there in ways the title doesn't express. This has become The Water Cooler for many of us. Yes we still rant about some of the questions and OPs, but it allows us to let off steam, refocus, and dive back in to try and help some more. It has also server as location where we have asked others to help with questions that we have found ourselves out of our depth, we aren't all masters of every aspect of MS SQL Server.

We have also learned many things about each other during the time this thread has been active. If you have a few months you may want to start at the beginning. It would also help when you get confused when we talk about the TitD (the Tent in the Desert) and the Guard Hippo that protects it (last I knew he was wearing a pink tutu).

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay.

πŸ™‚

I see I have much catching up to do then. I have pretty well just lurked and read the daily email, but noticed this thread (The Thread?) is always sitting there at the bottom, and thought "hey, why not?".

That's what it does. Hiding at the bottom, lurking, creeping and silently calling your attention. And then one day.....

You're making it sound like a Stephen King novel. Does everyone float down here?

Eventually new people surface on The Thread occasionally. Some have even taken the time to read *all* the posts.

You will find many interesting facts and trivia about some of the denizens here. You find our heartbreak and triumphs. And many other interesting items. Most of all, you will find we are human, just like you.

You may even make some friends. I have.

*All* of the posts? I would challenge that! You know, I live in Illinois, and with the lovely winters we have, there is a stretch of interstate that is constantly under construction. It's so long that, as soon as they get to the end, the beginning is already in need and there is never a state of being "caught up". I'm sure you see the metaphor I'm drawing here. How many poor users will spend eternity trying to catch up here...

So....I made a mistake yesterday by 1. Using my work email account for this site. 2. Leaving my email open while training...my mentor...nevermind that. And 3. Accidentally hitting "subscribe to this thread" upon posting in the early morning.

This isn't a water cooler. This is a 24 hour all-you-can eat buffet with hard liquor and amphetamines.

• Winter and Road Construction.

In Minnesota, there is a pothole season too.

Plenty of time here too, although I'd venture to say someone taking in the whole Thread might take a bit more time than just the posts here.

It is easy to get sidetracked into other threads which spawned some of these cooler comments.

Or into calculating the velocity of the famed European Swallow, or terminal velocity of some of Jeff's weapons cache.

I can see a day when PASS has a Thread Jeopardy Contest.

Quote and who said it first, or fill in the missing word.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (7/29/2014)

Winter and Road Construction.

Plenty of time here too, although I'd venture to say someone taking in the whole Thread might take a bit more time than just the posts here.

It is easy to get sidetracked into other threads which spawned some of these cooler comments.

Or into calculating the velocity of the famed European Swallow, or terminal velocity of some of Jeff's weapons cache.

Yeah, we have the same season in Michigan. As for the European Swallow, you know it's a question of weight ratios when you consider the weight of a coconut. Jeff's pork chops are highly variant, depending on model. Finally, this is what some of us consider a water cooler, no matter that's being served. πŸ˜›

• Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

Greg Edwards-268690 (7/29/2014)

Yeah, we have the same season in Michigan. As for the European Swallow, you know it's a question of weight ratios when you consider the weight of a coconut. Jeff's pork chops are highly variant, depending on model. Finally, this is what some of us consider a water cooler, no matter that's being served. πŸ˜›

I think you need to use the quotes when you refer to it like that then.

Hey guys, want to go down to the "water cooler"?

• Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

Don't ignore the wind resistance of the coconut - especially if windy out.

Ever seen a European Swallow making negative progress?

And the frozen pork chops - air time, season, and velocity can melt them, possibly even cook them in flight.

Winter and Michigan to Minnesota eliminates many of those variables, although the impact is always more painful.

Fits a great need, seems to have tempered some of the piling on in the posts.

And always some interesting and varied topics, all in one place.

How's the salmon fishing been?

Making a trip out in the next month or so.

Traverse City area.

• bantrim (7/29/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

I'd hate to misquote someone. It could lead to technical discussion.

Which is bad etiquette on the Thread.

It might be better to leave the hint, so the reader can search google for the source and draw their own conclusions.

This will give them a more rounded background into context around the subject.

Kind of like Interview Questions - do they know just the answer to the question, or can they express why this is the answer.

bantrim (7/29/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

It might be better to leave the hint, so the reader can search google for the source and draw their own conclusions.

Kind of like Interview Questions - do they know just the answer to the question, or can they express why this is the answer.

Mosquito someone? Is that biting them and giving them malaria?

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Koen Verbeeck (7/29/2014)

Lynn Pettis (7/28/2014)

dwain.c (7/28/2014)

Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

This thread is our water cooler. It is a place where we can let our hair down...

Easy for you to say. I assume you have hair.

Why yes I do. In fact, it hasn't been cut since I returned to Afghanistan at the end of February. πŸ˜€

You hippie πŸ™‚

Well he did talk about the pretty red lights

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• bantrim (7/29/2014)

This isn't a water cooler. This is a 24 hour all-you-can eat buffet with hard liquor and amphetamines.

:hehe::-D

That's funny

Learn Extended Events

• ChrisM@Work (7/29/2014)

bantrim (7/29/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

I would never use a reference to our state bird in such an inflammatory manner.

Maybe a Deer Tick and Lyme Disease though.

Glad that July was dry. In June, with all the rain, the misquotes were getting bad.

ChrisM@Work (7/29/2014)

bantrim (7/29/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

Glad that July was dry. In June, with all the rain, the misquotes were getting bad.

Are your mosquitoes as big as birds? They are out here.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (7/29/2014)

bantrim (7/29/2014)

:hehe::-D

That's funny

All great humor is grounded in pain and truth.

Country music is grounded in three chords and the truth.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• SQLRNNR (7/29/2014)

ChrisM@Work (7/29/2014)

bantrim (7/29/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/29/2014)

Are your mosquitoes as big as birds? They are out here.

Small children can be carried away.

The Loon is just tourism, otherwise no one would come to visit.

Not worth swatting unless you can kill 3 or 4 with one swat.

100% DEET - stains the cap, but helps some.

White Water State Park is the only spot in the state where it is rumored you can find relief.

Although the water at the beach is lucky to hit 70 degrees.

Does make for some interesting viewing for first timers taking a dip when it's 90 out.

Viewing 15 posts - 44,881 through 44,895 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply