Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (8/12/2014)

I'd love some rain. It's getting towards the end of winter here and it is soooo dry.

I wish I could give you some of ours. I'm beginning to dislike English summers nearly as much as I disliked English winters in the bad old days when I had to suffer them.

Tom

• TomThomson (8/13/2014)

I wish I could give you some of ours. I'm beginning to dislike English summers nearly as much as I disliked English winters in the bad old days when I had to suffer them.

Id there any differnce between English summer and winter? Except for the temperature, of course...

Maybe the angle the rain comes down? 😉

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Anyone up for giving Me "I require some help with indexes" some help?

Edit: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1602739-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • TomThomson (8/13/2014)

GilaMonster (8/12/2014)

I'd love some rain. It's getting towards the end of winter here and it is soooo dry.

Funny, the two weeks I was there, blazing sunshine, high temperatures, rained once, for a couple of hours.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/13/2014)

TomThomson (8/13/2014)

GilaMonster (8/12/2014)

Funny, the two weeks I was there, blazing sunshine, high temperatures, rained once, for a couple of hours.

Ye, we had about 20 days when it hit at least 25 every day here; I couldn't get over to Telford then because I was ferrying Ann between home and doctor/hospital regularly, or we might have met. But since then (when she could get out and enjoy the good weather if there was any - she actually managed two 3 hour sessions on a sun bed in the yard so it's not been a total weather disaster) it's been pretty bad: hot some days, but very heavy rain intermittently on the hot days and fairly heavy rain much of the time on most of the not so hot days.

Tom

• TomThomson (8/13/2014)

GilaMonster (8/13/2014)

TomThomson (8/13/2014)

GilaMonster (8/12/2014)

Ye, we had about 20 days when it hit at least 25 every day here; I couldn't get over to Telford then because I was ferrying Ann between home and doctor/hospital regularly, or we might have met. But since then (when she could get out and enjoy the good weather if there was any - she actually managed two 3 hour sessions on a sun bed in the yard so it's not been a total weather disaster) it's been pretty bad: hot some days, but very heavy rain intermittently on the hot days and fairly heavy rain much of the time on most of the not so hot days.

A little further south in the Thames Valley, this is the best summer we've had for six or seven years. Sure there's been a little rain but it's kept the grass green (remember '76/'77, Tom?). I'd be very happy with more summers like this.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Lynn Pettis (7/30/2014)

Really?? Let's put a 500 million row table into an in-memory table.

Hey, if it's still slow, you can also add an index on every column ...

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

Wish I could remember what last year was like, I remember some nice days for '77 as I have a picture of me from a company picnic. 🙂

• In case any of you missed it and want to ensure a picture gets posted to The Thread... http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/114685/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/14/2014)

In case any of you missed it and want to ensure a picture gets posted to The Thread... http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/114685/

FWIW - one of the links to Doctors without Borders is busted (first link) while the other appears to work (last link).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• jcrawf02 (8/13/2014)

rodjkidd (8/13/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2014)

rodjkidd (8/13/2014)

Ed and Jason,

Some serious rain there. Glad to hear you are all OK.

Rodders...

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. Things are starting to dry out around here; there's only one freeway that's still closed due to about 13 feet of water. :w00t: I heard that Long Island, NY is being hit by the same system today.

Good news!

Now if you could just collect some of that water in buckets and send them to Gail... :w00t:

Rodders...

Too heavy to ship. You should dehydrate it before you FedEx it, then she can rehydrate it on her end.

Comedian Steven Wright already tried this - "I invented instant water, but I had to throw it away. I couldn't figure out what to add."

Jason Wolfkill

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/14/2014)

In case any of you missed it and want to ensure a picture gets posted to The Thread... http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/114685/

If only to see Gail in wings and a halo! Finally got round to adding my donation.

Rodders...

• djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

Wish I could remember what last year was like, I remember some nice days for '77 as I have a picture of me from a company picnic. 🙂

Good lord, I'm surrounded by fogies! I was 1 years old for most of '77.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

I was 10.

• Ed Wagner (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

I was 10.

erm Are we talking about 1877?, 1977, or 2077?

By 2077 I will be 23:-D

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 45,196 through 45,210 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply