Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/15/2009)

Luke L (5/15/2009)

Nope I was referring to the link Tom Brown posted. It seemed like he was trying to post a location and ended up putting that in instead...

😀 Didn't even notice that.

But slightly more picturesque

I was checking GilaMonster's sig - vaguely familiar - thought it may have been from Battlestar - somehow it got into the Google location?

I'll try again.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=52.43613,-1.798496&spn=0.044948,0.066948&t=k&z=14

• Back to the subject of questions...

There must have been 8-10 questions on database corruption in the last week or two. Is it open season on corruptions all of a sudden? None have any backups, of course....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

... Is it open season on corruptions all of a sudden? None have any backups, of course....

Not yet in our company. For sure, we have backups! We take them every year ... on Christmas ... really! :laugh:

• I was born not far from there.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Florian Reischl (5/15/2009)

GilaMonster (5/15/2009)

... Is it open season on corruptions all of a sudden? None have any backups, of course....

Not yet in our company.

Nor among any of my paying clients.

Gail Shaw

• Tom Brown (5/15/2009)

GilaMonster (5/15/2009)

Luke L (5/15/2009)

Nope I was referring to the link Tom Brown posted. It seemed like he was trying to post a location and ended up putting that in instead...

😀 Didn't even notice that.

But slightly more picturesque

I was checking GilaMonster's sig - vaguely familiar - thought it may have been from Battlestar - somehow it got into the Google location?

I'll try again.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=52.43613,-1.798496&spn=0.044948,0.066948&t=k&z=14

Cool. I've been to Peterborough and Cambridge.

• Here is where I was stationed between January 1979 and July 1981.

Florian Reischl (5/15/2009)

GilaMonster (5/15/2009)

Not yet in our company.

Nor among any of my paying clients.

I've had a little corruption, but it was caught early and treated. The couple of times it occurred it happened to indexes and a rebuild cleared it up. Hasn't happened for quite a while, but I have periodic dbcc's running to help catch problems early.

• Lynn Pettis (5/15/2009)

Here is where I was stationed between January 1979 and July 1981.

OMG! Thats not what I think it is - is it? one of Uncle Sams air bases? :w00t:

Back in 1980 I was a long-haired student and went on CND marches and the like.

But I'm cool with Americans now. 😀

I was born not far from there.

So you're a Brummie?

How long did you stick around before heading off for the sun

Its still raining by the way.

• Tom Brown (5/15/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/15/2009)

Here is where I was stationed between January 1979 and July 1981.

OMG! Thats not what I think it is - is it? one of Uncle Sams air bases? :w00t:

Back in 1980 I was a long-haired student and went on CND marches and the like.

But I'm cool with Americans now. 😀

Not quite, it was still an RAF base, we just leased the base.

Back to the subject of questions...

There must have been 8-10 questions on database corruption in the last week or two. Is it open season on corruptions all of a sudden? None have any backups, of course....

Paul Randal is saying the same thing. I actually found a corruption last night in a small BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) database. Fortunately just a non-clustered PK so I ran a REPAIR_REBUILD and voila in good shape.

My DB was on a VM, I wonder if there is any correlation between VM's and corruption.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Back to the subject of questions...

I liked the one where they thought they had backups, but actually the most recent was four days old.

I haven't seen signs of corruption in any of mine. On the other hand, my mind is more than corrupted enough to make up for that. And don't even get me started on how corrupt my sense of humor is!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I just finished moving another 10 servers into the new data center. They all passed consistency checks after the move. Praise the gods. That's 33 on Wednesday & 10 more tonight. The big move is next week, but I'm not on call for it. Let's hope we don't get bitten.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GSquared (5/15/2009)

I liked the one where they thought they had backups, but actually the most recent was four days old.

I liked the one where they thought they had backups, deleted the transaction log (based on some advice found on the internet) and then realised that they didn't have backups

And don't even get me started on how corrupt my sense of humor is!

Unfortunately, there's no repair for that.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 4,531 through 4,545 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply