Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

We had 80 odd people at the show in September so a whole pig could well be worth it. I've just got to convince a couple of people that barbecue is more than just burgers and sausages. This is definitely only the beginning, especially now there's so much less effort involved in getting a good result.

Glad to hear the new smoker is working well for you so far. Must be a pretty smoker if you can get a whole hog in there. I could maybe fit a half one in mine, but it would have to be chopped up first. πŸ™‚

It's big but not that big :w00t: It'll comfortably fit a full brisket and a couple of other bits but it's definitely more family than industrial size. I was thinking more of digging a fire pit on a patch of waste ground we have and roasting a pig over that.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (10/22/2014)

We had 80 odd people at the show in September so a whole pig could well be worth it. I've just got to convince a couple of people that barbecue is more than just burgers and sausages. This is definitely only the beginning, especially now there's so much less effort involved in getting a good result.

Burgers and sausages is a cookout or grilling not barbecue. I learned that when I lived in Florida. If you invited people over for a barbecue and just had stuff on the grill you started praying that no one has a smoker big enough to fit you in!

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Similarly, if you invite people for a braai here, there better not be just burgers, though we don't have tradition of smoking stuff.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (10/22/2014)

Similarly, if you invite people for a braai here, there better not be just burgers, though we don't have tradition of smoking stuff.

Isn't it interesting how so many different cultures around the world have their own version of barbeque? Even in the USA, there are four distinct styles of barbeque. When you go to other countries, there are so many variations it almost makes my head spin. The one thing they have in common is slow-roasting meat of some type. The meat will vary according to the local wildlife, the wood according to what's available and the process varies, but the act of slow-roasting meat is always (at least somewhat) similar. While I'm partial to to slow-smoking with specific woods, I'm completely willing to try almost any regional variation.

Thanks, Gail. I'd never heard of a braai, so I learned something new today.

Similarly, if you invite people for a braai here, there better not be just burgers, though we don't have tradition of smoking stuff.

We don't have a tradition of good weather in the North of England πŸ™‚ Burgers and sausages can be easily grabbed from the butchers if the sun should appear for more than fifteen minutes in June. It's definitely getting better though, we can get different flavours of burgers nowadays.

There's a couple of barbecue places open in Manchester now too. I'm not sure how authentic they are but it'll be fun trying them out.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

GilaMonster (10/22/2014)

Isn't it interesting how so many different cultures around the world have their own version of barbeque? Even in the USA, there are four distinct styles of barbeque. When you go to other countries, there are so many variations it almost makes my head spin. The one thing they have in common is slow-roasting meat of some type. The meat will vary according to the local wildlife, the wood according to what's available and the process varies, but the act of slow-roasting meat is always (at least somewhat) similar. While I'm partial to to slow-smoking with specific woods, I'm completely willing to try almost any regional variation.

Thanks, Gail. I'd never heard of a braai, so I learned something new today.

If you ever try the mexican version "barbacoa", which was the original dish, you'll find that it has almost no resemblance to the USA version. I can't pick one over the other, they're just too different and both delicious. :Wow:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Too much talk of food, I'm hungry again now πŸ™‚ And lunch was only 2 1/2 hours ago

Talk of barbecues and England reminds me of a party I went to years ago, the barbecue was one guy flipping burgers while another held an umbrella over the "chef" and food to keep the continuous downpour of rain away! Everyone else was inside watching...

Rodders...

• Jack Corbett (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

Burgers and sausages is a cookout or grilling not barbecue. I learned that when I lived in Florida. If you invited people over for a barbecue and just had stuff on the grill you started praying that no one has a smoker big enough to fit you in!

Indeed.

We just had this discussion at work the other day because we had a few northerners said that barbecue was burgers and hotdogs on a grill! :hehe: As we reside in North Carolina, I was quick to point out that is grilling and not barbecue.

Barbecue in the south is about slow and low where grilling is about fast and hot. We southerners love to smoke our foods, especially pulled pork regardless of the seasoning. Other types of meat such as brisket, turkey, sausage and more are traditional outside of our state, but we have adapted it because it's still good barbecue that's slow and low.

• xsevensinzx (10/22/2014)

Jack Corbett (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

Indeed.

We just had this discussion at work the other day because we had a few northerners said that barbecue was burgers and hotdogs on a grill! :hehe: As we reside in North Carolina, I was quick to point out that is grilling and not barbecue.

Barbecue in the south is about slow and low where grilling is about fast and hot. We southerners love to smoke our foods, especially pulled pork regardless of the seasoning. Other types of meat such as brisket, turkey, sausage and more are traditional outside of our state, but we have adapted it because it's still good barbecue that's slow and low.

One can find some really nice BBQ in NC, did spend some time there this summer, nice food! Didn't manage to stop in Lexington this time though.

😎

• Jeff Moden (10/22/2014)

Steve,

After a fairly long wait (> 30 seconds), I got the following...

Sorry, an error has occurred

If problems persist, please contact us to let us know.

When reporting this error, please quote the error identifier: 3284392

Ahh, sorry. The spam call is slowing things down for sure. I've asked that it be moved to an async call after posts, but that won't happen this week as SQL in the City prep is eating up all of IT's time.

They have to be prepped to broadcast some things live and move their stuff to London.

• Kansas City had some great BBQ when I was there for SQL Sat. They did a mini BBQ crawl on Friday, hitting a few places.

Excellent, and I'm sure I gained a few pounds that weekend.

• Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

The one thing they have in common is slow-roasting meat of some type.

A braai has nothing to do with slow roasting anything.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • For me this is a grill

And this is a barbecue

Am I wrong?

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I really feel bad for this guy. He keeps posting weird problems about SPs full of bad practices. I'm sure that he isn't the problem and the problem comes from his teacher.

That's part of the problem that delivers mediocre data professionals.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

The one thing they have in common is slow-roasting meat of some type.

A braai has nothing to do with slow roasting anything.

I guess I'll have to read more than one description of it. Either way, I'm certain to learn something new about food.

Viewing 15 posts - 46,231 through 46,245 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply