Are the posted questions getting worse?

• David Burrows (11/21/2014)

Well Jeff would have to employ GBAG (Glass By Agonizing Glass) or get an Overflow Exception 😀

Agreeable, surely?

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• I agree questions have gotten worse and so have the answers and the resources.

I have to admitt I have hit many a brain freeze lately. I got so used to 3rd party software and automation that I had originally set up years ago that when I came to a much more rudimentary environment I seem to have forgotten the basics.

in addition it is harder to keep up with all of the new stuff when you are putting out fires. sometime your brains just goes on overload.

I have been searching all over for an answer to an issue that I have been having thining that it was an easy fix, but I cant find anything, even bought several books just in case.

BTW I am posting that question here in another section if anyone would care to answer it.

• Just a quick question to "the thread", am I missing something or is XML getting more popular? Just noticed that this topic on the XML forum has proportionally many times the viewings of any other current topic.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (11/24/2014)

Just a quick question to "the thread", am I missing something or is XML getting more popular? Just noticed that this topic on the XML forum has proportionally many times the viewings of any other current topic.

😎

I'd like to look at it as it just being forced down more people's throats but I can't because people at work are enamored with it. I've seen them use it in place of things like a decent and fairly simple lookup table and then tell me that I was being too critical of "normalization" to the point of calling me a Luddite when I demonstrated how simple the correct alternative would be.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• swoozie (11/24/2014)

I got so used to 3rd party software and automation that I had originally set up years ago that when I came to a much more rudimentary environment I seem to have forgotten the basics.

That's the basis of the play-on-words quote in my signature line below. 😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• andrew gothard (11/24/2014)

David Burrows (11/21/2014)

Well Jeff would have to employ GBAG (Glass By Agonizing Glass) or get an Overflow Exception 😀

Agreeable, surely?

Unless there's no designated driver, most assuredly.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (11/24/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (11/24/2014)

Just a quick question to "the thread", am I missing something or is XML getting more popular? Just noticed that this topic on the XML forum has proportionally many times the viewings of any other current topic.

😎

I'd like to look at it as it just being forced down more people's throats but I can't because people at work are enamored with it. I've seen them use it in place of things like a decent and fairly simple lookup table and then tell me that I was being too critical of "normalization" to the point of calling me a Luddite when I demonstrated how simple the correct alternative would be.

I still laugh at XML. Don't get me wrong, it's intensely useful in certain circumstances, but in general, it's "new and shiny!".... no, it's not. It's the old mainframe row order dependent structures with standardized formats for everyone. XML is just cleaning up what we'd been fighting with for 40+ years since the Eniac first coughed related results.

*shrugs* To answer your question, Eirikur, it's getting more popular. I believe people have finally started to give up on JSON (anecdotal, I have no evidence) and are coming back to XML as a tamer alternative to actually coding data structures Cobb style.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

😎

Rather XML than JSON. Just sayin'!!

But yeah, XML is required more and more within SQL server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

😎

Cannot agree more Jeff, feel that there is a real need for a "Set Breaking Act" (anti Luddite Bill in English) when it comes to handling data within a RDBM.

😎

• Evil Kraig F (11/24/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/24/2014)

😎

I still laugh at XML. Don't get me wrong, it's intensely useful in certain circumstances, but in general, it's "new and shiny!".... no, it's not. It's the old mainframe row order dependent structures with standardized formats for everyone. XML is just cleaning up what we'd been fighting with for 40+ years since the Eniac first coughed related results.

*shrugs* To answer your question, Eirikur, it's getting more popular. I believe people have finally started to give up on JSON (anecdotal, I have no evidence) and are coming back to XML as a tamer alternative to actually coding data structures Cobb style.

I no longer laugh at XML. I cry when see it in a database table. The only thing that makes me cry more is EDI. Actually, that's a lie... some of the folks here have converted some of the EDI we recieve and have changed it to XML and then store both in the database. :sick:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Evil Kraig F (11/24/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/24/2014)

😎

I no longer laugh at XML. I cry when see it in a database table. The only thing that makes me cry more is EDI. Actually, that's a lie... some of the folks here have converted some of the EDI we recieve and have changed it to XML and then store both in the database. :sick:

Many of the EDI standards have in fact moved to XML and of course when imported unconverted into a database, result in a Double Trouble (not the SRV kind though)

😎

• SQLRNNR (11/24/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/24/2014)

😎

....the pun of the missing "a":-D

😎

SQLRNNR (11/24/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/24/2014)

😎

😎

ROFL

Every time somebody says something about JSON, I always turn my head. At least with XML, I don't know anybody with a name that is even close to that.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

😎

I'm not sure it's popular, but it's becoming more prevalent in our work as plenty of data is returned as XML. Extended Events is a popular one, but also it seems more programs are happy to kick out XML for exports.

• SQLRNNR (11/24/2014)

SQLRNNR (11/24/2014)

Jeff Moden (11/24/2014)

😎

😎

ROFL

Every time somebody says something about JSON, I always turn my head. At least with XML, I don't know anybody with a name that is even close to that.

A colleague's Ex, Emile. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46,441 through 46,455 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply