Are the posted questions getting worse?

• LinkedIn, ORM Tools, and idiot managers convinced they're closer to the code and tools than I am.

There's a joke for these three plague topics somewhere... I need more caffeine, I guess.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Brandie Tarvin (12/3/2014)

SQLRNNR (12/3/2014)

Jack Corbett (12/3/2014)

SQLRNNR (12/2/2014)

Chad Crawford (12/2/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (12/2/2014)

How do you view the queries it generates? Are they persisted somewhere? Do you just see them through Perfmon? Something else?

Perfmon for us too. I've been trying to move to XEvents, but when I'm under a crunch I still fall back on the tool I know best. I promise to do better in the future! 😉

Gag. XE works soooo much better and cleaner.

Create the session once and turn it on only when you need it. Easier to get it running that way when under a crunch. :-D:-D:-D

Yeah XE is better once you get to 2012, but unfortunately I, and many others, are still supporting mostly 2008R2 servers for which I still rely on SQL Trace pretty heavily for things like this.

Even in 2008R2, XE beats the pants off trace. Capturing sql statements and even execution plans is sooo easy with XE.

What about the non-R2 version of SQL 2008? Does XE work with that? (And what is XE?)

XE (Extended Events / XEvents) was introduced with SQL Server 2008. In that release, the feature was pretty basic in comparison to what is available with SQL 2014. That said, there is a lot of usefulness to the feature even in 2008. XEvents are a lot of fun to play with and to use.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (12/2/2014)

Chad Crawford (12/2/2014)

I completely agree that Hibernate/Entity Framework is roughly equivalent to feeding a Mogwai after midnight (if you haven’t seen “Gremlins”, just know it is bad).

Buahahaha

Great quote.

I've got a slide in a presentation to update now

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• And crisis, panic, run around screaming, the EF-based app is slow.

600MB database, generating 5GB of trace data in 1 hour....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/5/2014)

And crisis, panic, run around screaming, the EF-based app is slow.

Here's a bit of easy code to solve the problem...

USE Master;

GO

DROP DATABASE KillTheDamnEFApp;

GO

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (12/5/2014)

GilaMonster (12/5/2014)

USE Master;

GO

GO

Well, it must be the database. Clearly and obviously, it couldn't possibly be the bad code the app uses to access the data. No way...don't even discuss it. It has to be the database. Good luck, Gail.

• Ed Wagner (12/5/2014)

Brandie Tarvin (12/5/2014)

GilaMonster (12/5/2014)

USE Master;

GO

GO

Well, it must be the database. Clearly and obviously, it couldn't possibly be the bad code the app uses to access the data. No way...don't even discuss it. It has to be the database. Good luck, Gail.

I'm just saying... The app can't run without the database. The app will stop functioning once the database is gone. Then Gail doesn't have to support it. Right?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GilaMonster (12/5/2014)

Ouch, I don't even think the crappy Java app I'm supporting generates that much trace data. I guess it could if I added more events when I run it.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• New type of spam:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1636920-391-1.aspx#bm1642200

They enter a reply with the first reply of the thread copied into it (in this case, my reply) and then add a URL.

More annoying than the other spam, since I now get an email in my inbox for it.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (12/8/2014)

New type of spam:

They enter a reply with the first reply of the thread copied into it (in this case, my reply) and then add a URL.

Great...just what we all need in our lives - more spam.

• Koen Verbeeck (12/8/2014)

New type of spam:

At least the profile picture isn't bad:rolleyes:

😎

• Jack Corbett (12/5/2014)

GilaMonster (12/5/2014)

Ouch, I don't even think the crappy Java app I'm supporting generates that much trace data. I guess it could if I added more events when I run it.

That 5GB is with my standard, light-weight event set. Batch Completed, RPC completed.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (12/9/2014)

Jack Corbett (12/5/2014)

GilaMonster (12/5/2014)

That 5GB is with my standard, light-weight event set. Batch Completed, RPC completed.

App set up so exactly the same call is made a shedload of times? I've actually seen a 'database problem' where things were admittedle on the slow side - mostly because the page was making about 10000 calls to repeatedly pull the same data. (We've got third party apps doing the same thing).

Hard to nail those in live when there's that much chaff. Works easiest if you can get a trace one process at a time in dev.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• andrew gothard (12/9/2014)

App set up so exactly the same call is made a shedload of times? I've actually seen a 'database problem' where things were admittedle on the slow side - mostly because the page was making about 10000 calls to repeatedly pull the same data. (We've got third party apps doing the same thing).

Hard to nail those in live when there's that much chaff. Works easiest if you can get a trace one process at a time in dev.

+1 here. I had a new app at a large company crash on day one. A quick profiler trace showed that they were doing this, same call, over and over. Enough to generate about my (then) 25MB trace file every second. On a SQL 2K server in 2001, this was good enough to get a VP down to my desk.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/9/2014)

andrew gothard (12/9/2014)

+1 here. I had a new app at a large company crash on day one. A quick profiler trace showed that they were doing this, same call, over and over. Enough to generate about my (then) 25MB trace file every second. On a SQL 2K server in 2001, this was good enough to get a VP down to my desk.

My app does almost everything with server-side cursors through JDBC, so I'll see sp_cursorpepare and then 100's or 1000's of sp_cursorexec statements. In minutes I have like 1/2 million events for this app with RPC:COmpleted and Batch:Completed events.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 46,546 through 46,560 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply