Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (1/20/2015)

Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

We are finally starting to move our ERP to a new system (well new to us but still rather antiquated). In the process of looking at vendors our mainframe system doesn't really have the ability to handle international addresses. To get around these limitations our users are extremely creative in putting garbage into the system. During some analysis for data migration here is a gem that was uncovered.

State = HO

Zip = NDURA

Zip Ext = S

I'm curious. What mainframe system?

I'm curious as well. What ERP system?

• Jeff Moden (1/19/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (1/19/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/19/2015)

Jack Corbett (1/19/2015)

Jeff Moden (1/18/2015)

Grant Fritchey (1/18/2015)

WayneS (1/18/2015)

I'm curious...

How many folks have a home lab set up with servers?

How many folks just use virtual machines on a computer (be it laptop, etc)?

Other?

If you feel like it, why did you choose that route?

I for one do everything with VMs on my laptop.

Everyone say it with me...

AAAAAZZZZZZUUUUUURRRE!!!

Maybe that's ok for some folks but that would constitute a huge NFW for me and the company I work for.

Jeff,

I think this question is about home labs versus doing things for work. Azure should be fine for a "home" lab setup.

Understood but, if I'm not using it at work and no one I work with nor any of my clients use it, why would I use it at home?

This is a good point but on the other side, would you feel comfortable advising your clients on it if you didn't have the experience?

๐Ÿ˜Ž

If I had clients on it, then yes, I'd fire that puppy up so that I could advise and demonstrate to my clients why I think they should not be on it. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Sorry MS.

This here Implement Window Functions in SQL Azure is one of the stumbling blocks, between a rock and a hard place SLA is the tipping point. Again you are dead on, MS should be sorry!

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• GilaMonster (1/19/2015)

Well this is fun.

Officially, according to the government, South Africa uses the , as the decimal point. In reality, everyone, including the government, uses the .

Windows 7, when used with English (South Africa) had the decimal separator for numbers as .

Windows 8, when used with English (South Africa) has the decimal separator for numbers as ,

It's gonna be a looooog week.

I have to deal with this day to day basis as here in Finland , is decimal point.

So when I want to export data from SSMS output grid into excel I have to go through each and every column if I have to do some modifications to output because SSMS uses . as decimal separator for numbers, but if I convert number to varchar then separator is , ๐Ÿ™

Our client has also numbering of stands so that it is represented in text nn.m

Basically this means that if I paste into excel I get text in place of number. Numbers or dates in place of text.

Best solution so far has been pasting into LibreOffice, which asks what locale to use. Then I select some English and go through columns if there is this one stand number field which I force to text. From LibreOffice I can paste to Excel ๐Ÿ™‚

• Ed Wagner (1/20/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (1/20/2015)

Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

We are finally starting to move our ERP to a new system (well new to us but still rather antiquated). In the process of looking at vendors our mainframe system doesn't really have the ability to handle international addresses. To get around these limitations our users are extremely creative in putting garbage into the system. During some analysis for data migration here is a gem that was uncovered.

State = HO

Zip = NDURA

Zip Ext = S

I will answer you and Brandie at the same time. We have our own in house RPG system that was extended from MAPICS. We are moving to Infor M3. Infor is the company that bought MAPICS so we are basically moving to a "new" system that has a java front end in front of the same old crappy sql tables. All table and column names are extremely cryptic 8 character abbreviations. Apparently they used some sort of tool that converted the existing RPG programs into java so in order to run various pieces of the system you have to know the cryptic 8 character program name. So much for progress. We are spending countless dollars and hours for what is essentially a massive lateral "improvement".

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 โ€“ Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Ville-Pekka Vahteala (1/20/2015)

GilaMonster (1/19/2015)

Well this is fun.

Officially, according to the government, South Africa uses the , as the decimal point. In reality, everyone, including the government, uses the .

Windows 7, when used with English (South Africa) had the decimal separator for numbers as .

Windows 8, when used with English (South Africa) has the decimal separator for numbers as ,

It's gonna be a looooog week.

I have to deal with this day to day basis as here in Finland , is decimal point.

So when I want to export data from SSMS output grid into excel I have to go through each and every column if I have to do some modifications to output because SSMS uses . as decimal separator for numbers, but if I convert number to varchar then separator is , ๐Ÿ™

Our client has also numbering of stands so that it is represented in text nn.m

Basically this means that if I paste into excel I get text in place of number. Numbers or dates in place of text.

Best solution so far has been pasting into LibreOffice, which asks what locale to use. Then I select some English and go through columns if there is this one stand number field which I force to text. From LibreOffice I can paste to Excel ๐Ÿ™‚

Use the SSMSBoost addin. IT can export the grid results to several formats, including Excel (xml format, but it works). It takes care of conversions and keeps the original data type.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/20/2015)

Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

State = HO

Zip = NDURA

Zip Ext = S

I will answer you and Brandie at the same time. We have our own in house RPG system that was extended from MAPICS. We are moving to Infor M3. Infor is the company that bought MAPICS so we are basically moving to a "new" system that has a java front end in front of the same old crappy sql tables. All table and column names are extremely cryptic 8 character abbreviations. Apparently they used some sort of tool that converted the existing RPG programs into java so in order to run various pieces of the system you have to know the cryptic 8 character program name. So much for progress. We are spending countless dollars and hours for what is essentially a massive lateral "improvement".

Isn't M3 (Lawson?) a really old version of Movex?

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (1/20/2015)

Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/20/2015)

Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

State = HO

Zip = NDURA

Zip Ext = S

Yes that is another of the companies they have assimilated into the Borg. Movex is one of the modules available for purchase...and the powers that be went with it.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 โ€“ Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

dwain.c (1/20/2015)

Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/20/2015)

Sean Lange (1/20/2015)

State = HO

Zip = NDURA

Zip Ext = S

Yes that is another of the companies they have assimilated into the Borg. Movex is one of the modules available for purchase...and the powers that be went with it.

So Lawson/Infor/Borg are all part and parcel of M3/Movex. As I recall when looking at this a few years back they had some pretty tight and cool integration with MS Office. Strong in the garments vertical too as I recall.

Sounds like it could be fun!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Hi everyone,

I have a bit of an announcement and a question.

I'm Transgender. I've come out as a woman in nearly every aspect of my life now and am at my first day of work as a woman. I hope everyone here is ok with it too, I've come to like you all quite a bit.

The question is if I can get my name changed on the articles I've written here. : -)

I see how to change my name on my account and I'll go do that here in a minute. I'm just not sure it'll cascade to everything else.

Anyway, hi! I'm Sioban. Sioban Jeanne Krzywicki. If you want the full name (that it'll be as soon as I finish all the legal paperwork, probably a month or so of filing papers) it is Sioban Jeanne Ayla Kara Krzywicki.

Bonus points to anyone who knows where the third and fourth names come from.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/21/2015)

I see how to change my name on my account and I'll go do that here in a minute. I'm just not sure it'll cascade to everything else.

It cascades to all your forum replies, but it isn't replaced in the texts of people who have quoted you.

Anyway, I admire your courage and I hope all the best for you.

Good luck.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (1/21/2015)

Stefan Krzywicki (1/21/2015)

It cascades to all your forum replies, but it isn't replaced in the texts of people who have quoted you.

Anyway, I admire your courage and I hope all the best for you.

Good luck.

That should be plenty. Thanks!

And thanks for that too.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (1/21/2015)

Anyway, hi! I'm Sioban. Sioban Jeanne Krzywicki. If you want the full name (that it'll be as soon as I finish all the legal paperwork, probably a month or so of filing papers) it is Sioban Jeanne Ayla Kara Krzywicki.

Sioban, congratulations and I wish you every success and happiness.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Although I've been in lurk-more-than-post mode lately...

Hello there, Sioban! You've been super-awesome and helpful around here, and that earns my respect ahead of anything else. I'm part of a minority group that tends to get lumped in with yours, so it's nice to see someone in a similar group here, too ๐Ÿ˜€

- ๐Ÿ˜€

• BrainDonor (1/21/2015)

Stefan Krzywicki (1/21/2015)

Sioban, congratulations and I wish you every success and happiness.

Thanks!

• Andrew Kernodle (1/21/2015)

Although I've been in lurk-more-than-post mode lately...

Hello there, Sioban! You've been super-awesome and helpful around here, and that earns my respect ahead of anything else. I'm part of a minority group that tends to get lumped in with yours, so it's nice to see someone in a similar group here, too ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks! Whatever group you are, it is always nice to not feel alone. : -)

Viewing 15 posts - 47,011 through 47,025 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply