Are the posted questions getting worse?

• ChrisM@Work (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/27/2015)

... Mark one off, 31 days on the calendar to go. 31 days on the calendar to go, 31 days to go, ...

A standard month. It will be over in a ...blimey I was going to say "flash" but I don't think so.

It will be over before you know it.

It will be over soon. The days may be long and slow but the weeks go fast. This Saturday I will be down to 4 weeks.

• Lynn Pettis (1/28/2015)

ChrisM@Work (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/27/2015)

... Mark one off, 31 days on the calendar to go. 31 days on the calendar to go, 31 days to go, ...

A standard month. It will be over in a ...blimey I was going to say "flash" but I don't think so.

It will be over soon. The days may be long and slow but the weeks go fast. This Saturday I will be down to 4 weeks.

Aside from coming home, it has to be nice knowing that your job is waiting for you when you come home. It turns out that those extensions worked themselves out with the best possible outcome.

• Ed Wagner (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/28/2015)

ChrisM@Work (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/27/2015)

Aside from coming home, it has to be nice knowing that your job is waiting for you when you come home. It turns out that those extensions worked themselves out with the best possible outcome.

Yes, it is. Takes some of the stress off of coming home.

• Lynn Pettis (1/28/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/28/2015)

ChrisM@Work (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/27/2015)

Now all you have to worry about is travel arrangements, packing up everything you own that you have there, not leaving anything behind and no troubles during travel. The destination, however, will be worth it.

• Ed Wagner (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/28/2015)

Ed Wagner (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/28/2015)

ChrisM@Work (1/28/2015)

Lynn Pettis (1/27/2015)

Now all you have to worry about is travel arrangements, packing up everything you own that you have there, not leaving anything behind and no troubles during travel. The destination, however, will be worth it.

Packing isn't an issue. I did not acquire very much while here and what I plan on shipping home will fit in two gorilla boxes. That leaves me with one backpack with work laptop to carry home, going as light as possible for the trip home. Anything I leave behind can be used by others or simply thrown out.

Travel is already booked: Bagram to Dubai, Dubai to Atlanta, Atlanta to Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City to Colorado Springs! The longest part of the journey in the air is Dubai to Atlanta, 16 hours. Longest layover is in Dubai, 7 hours.

• Sean Lange (1/26/2015)

Oh the cursors are unbelievably stuipd. They are used to count!!!

set @Counter = 1

while exists(select * from StupidlyLargeHeap (nolock) where someColume = @Counter) begin

set @Counter = @Counter + 1

end

Then at the very end this proc sends a database mail. Gee I can't imagine why it is slow. :w00t:

The terrifying thing about that is that it may be looking for the first gap rather than doing a count - after all it's equivalent to

select @counter = select min(I) from Tally t

where I > 0 and

not exists (

select 1/0 from StupidlyLargeHeap(nolock) where someColume = t.I

)

(assuming you have a table Tally with column I taking integer values from 0 (or less) up to somthing big enough) or some equally silly code.

edit: I hope that everyone has noticed that that will soon be illegal SQL. 😛

Tom

• ... Mark one off, 30 days on the calendar to go. 30 days on the calendar to go, 30 days to go, ...

• TomThomson (1/28/2015)

Sean Lange (1/26/2015)

Oh the cursors are unbelievably stuipd. They are used to count!!!

set @Counter = 1

while exists(select * from StupidlyLargeHeap (nolock) where someColume = @Counter) begin

set @Counter = @Counter + 1

end

Then at the very end this proc sends a database mail. Gee I can't imagine why it is slow. :w00t:

The terrifying thing about that is that it may be looking for the first gap rather than doing a count - after all it's equivalent to

select @counter = select min(I) from Tally t

where I > 0 and

not exists (

select 1/0 from StupidlyLargeHeap(nolock) where someColume = t.I

)

(assuming you have a table Tally with column I taking integer values from 0 (or less) up to somthing big enough) or some equally silly code.

edit: I hope that everyone has noticed that that will soon be illegal SQL. 😛

That what will soon be illegal in SQL? (You have an unclear antecedent for the second "that" in your edited comment.)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Opps. Double-post.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/29/2015)

That what will soon be illegal in SQL? (You have an unclear antecedent for the second "that" in your edited comment.)

The omission of the WITH on the nolock hint. Might be others, but that's the one I know about. Been deprecated for a while.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (1/29/2015)

The omission of the WITH on the nolock hint. Might be others, but that's the one I know about. Been deprecated for a while.

So will the omission of the semicolon at the end of a statement. I noticed that the SET statement above doesn't have one. I have a feeling that this one will impact a lot of people.

• GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

I have also seen code like this:

SELECT *

FROM SomeTable NOLOCK

The developer was complaining that the NOLOCK hint didn't work...

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (1/29/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

SELECT *

FROM SomeTable NOLOCK

Sure it did. It was used as an alias for SomeTable - exactly as it was written. 😛

• Ed Wagner (1/29/2015)

spaghettidba (1/29/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

SELECT *

FROM SomeTable NOLOCK

Sure it did. It was used as an alias for SomeTable - exactly as it was written. 😛

Great idea. let them use NOLOCK, but just teach them to use it as a hint instead. This could be awesome. :w00t:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Ed Wagner (1/29/2015)

GilaMonster (1/29/2015)

So will the omission of the semicolon at the end of a statement. I noticed that the SET statement above doesn't have one. I have a feeling that this one will impact a lot of people.

I suspect that the missing WITH will break long before ; is required everywhere.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 47,191 through 47,205 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply