• Brandie Tarvin (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/13/2015)

Gazareth (2/13/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (2/13/2015)

Gail and Jeff, I really want to thank you for your input on the SQL Server licensing issue. Not only were we able to get Developer edition added to the request for our Dev and Test instances, we found out that Microsoft is running a special (at least for us). For every current licensed Enterprise edition with maintenance, we get two free Developer editions. Plus apparently someone in corporate did the Core math wrong and was almost charging us for our passive instance.

We went from 26 Enterprise licenses down to 6. Saved a BUNDLE, especially since that special got us all our Dev / Test / QC instances for free.

Happy days. Happy days.

Thank you again for the suggestion of Developer edition. Boss is really happy now.

Seems like very good news!

Normally I just haunt this thread as my daily entertainment, but I have to share my pain on this topic. We actually have Enterprise on every single instance, regardless of what it's used for. They stopped wanting to buy SQL 2012 because licensing cost so much. Suggestions of Developer Edition have been met with wild ideas of support concerns and the "headaches" of sorting it out.

Let me guess. None of these complainers are actual DBAs.

Presumably they're not Accountants either πŸ™‚

I hear you there. My company won't buy EE because of the cost. I've heard it referred to as "Expensive Edition" before. πŸ˜›

Oh no, every DBA has tried to convince them that this is a good idea. The problem is so far up the chain that I don't even think we are talking to the source yet. The really sad part is that there are complaints about needing to cut the budget, but then we have Enterprise Edition on development boxes...

So find out your licensing setup (Cores or ... the other one). Get a price for the licensing and maintenance. Multiply the number of licenses in Dev, Test, and QC times that price. Then take it to upper management and say "How would you like me to save you X thousands of dollars?"

In my case, we saved hundreds of thousands of dollars (over a quarter million dollars).

I would think that should get someone's attention, even if you do end up having to pay the $50 per seat for the Dev edition.

Awesome savings Brandie.

In addition to your licensing savings, how much are you saving yearly?

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/13/2015)

Gazareth (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Gail and Jeff, I really want to thank you for your input on the SQL Server licensing issue. Not only were we able to get Developer edition added to the request for our Dev and Test instances, we found out that Microsoft is running a special (at least for us). For every current licensed Enterprise edition with maintenance, we get two free Developer editions. Plus apparently someone in corporate did the Core math wrong and was almost charging us for our passive instance.

We went from 26 Enterprise licenses down to 6. Saved a BUNDLE, especially since that special got us all our Dev / Test / QC instances for free.

Happy days. Happy days.

Thank you again for the suggestion of Developer edition. Boss is really happy now.

Normally I just haunt this thread as my daily entertainment, but I have to share my pain on this topic. We actually have Enterprise on every single instance, regardless of what it's used for. They stopped wanting to buy SQL 2012 because licensing cost so much. Suggestions of Developer Edition have been met with wild ideas of support concerns and the "headaches" of sorting it out.

I hear you there. My company won't buy EE because of the cost. I've heard it referred to as "Expensive Edition" before. πŸ˜›

Oh no, every DBA has tried to convince them that this is a good idea. The problem is so far up the chain that I don't even think we are talking to the source yet. The really sad part is that there are complaints about needing to cut the budget, but then we have Enterprise Edition on development boxes...

So find out your licensing setup (Cores or ... the other one). Get a price for the licensing and maintenance. Multiply the number of licenses in Dev, Test, and QC times that price. Then take it to upper management and say "How would you like me to save you X thousands of dollars?"

In my case, we saved hundreds of thousands of dollars (over a quarter million dollars).

I would think that should get someone's attention, even if you do end up having to pay the $50 per seat for the Dev edition.

It would save hundreds of thousands here too, but someone influential has convinced them there is a lack of support associated with Developer and that scares them more than price, even though I've yet to hear exactly what the problem is. The DBA team has managed to fix a few things, but it's all very slow going, and requires a lot of convincing. Let's just say I'm in a very bureaucratic environment. I'm hopeful that licensing will be dealt with this year.

• WayneS (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/13/2015)

Gazareth (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Happy days. Happy days.

Awesome savings Brandie.

In addition to your licensing savings, how much are you saving yearly?

I believe that cost includes maintenance for the first year. So I'm not sure how the rest of the math works out.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/13/2015)

Gazareth (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Happy days. Happy days.

It would save hundreds of thousands here too, but someone influential has convinced them there is a lack of support associated with Developer and that scares them more than price, even though I've yet to hear exactly what the problem is. The DBA team has managed to fix a few things, but it's all very slow going, and requires a lot of convincing. Let's just say I'm in a very bureaucratic environment. I'm hopeful that licensing will be dealt with this year.

Don't you get DEV with an MSDN subscription?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sioban Krzywicki (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Ed Wagner (2/13/2015)

Gazareth (2/13/2015)

SqlSanctum (2/13/2015)

Happy days. Happy days.

Probably, but for how many seats?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Sioban Krzywicki (2/13/2015)

Depends on the level of the subscription. I have seen 5 licenses with 50 cals each per subscription quite regularly.

That is something that could be cleared with the MS rep handling your licensing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (2/13/2015)

Sioban Krzywicki (2/13/2015)

Depends on the level of the subscription. I have seen 5 licenses with 50 cals each per subscription quite regularly.

That is something that could be cleared with the MS rep handling your licensing.

And I was thinking the subscription might come with a level of support that was sufficient to quell some qualms

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• WayneS (2/13/2015)

Happy days. Happy days.

They both get a kick-back right? 5% of the savings sounds fair... πŸ˜€

Either that or a lifetime of free Jimmy John's #9 sandwiches. πŸ˜›

Thanks for the feedback, Brandie.

Just so you know it wasn't a speculation on my part, we did similar here. My NetOps group is large and in-charge of licensing. We had a shedload of boxes that were licensed for Enterprise and I never thought to check (they're not all my boxes) until we started on our 2012 upgrades. They understandably got a little pissy when I told them that I wanted replacements no only for Dev, Staging, and Prod, but also a new separate box for the QA department. THAT's when I found out that the Dev and Staging boxes in multiple areas weren't setup as the Dev Edition. Because of some deal that was made with the Microsoft Authorized seller that we go through and the number of dev licenses we bought, we get the dev licenses for $35 USD each. We saved more money than you can shake a stick at and used some of that money to really beef up the production server and the related storage. That helped save even more money because it's beefy enough to allow us to consolidate some of the other servers.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• ... Mark one off, 14 days on the calendar to go. 14 days on the calendar to go, 14 days to go, ...

• Lynn Pettis (2/14/2015)

... Mark one off, 14 days on the calendar to go. 14 days on the calendar to go, 14 days to go, ...

Only two weeks, almost there!

😎

• Lynn Pettis (2/7/2015)

TomThomson (2/7/2015)

Grant Fritchey (2/5/2015)

Really? Yankees fans? Are they even human?

Usually not - they're mostly American.

Okay, I'm insulted and I am not a Yankee fan.

That sounds as if you understood my point - well said.

Tom

• TomThomson (2/14/2015)

Lynn Pettis (2/7/2015)

TomThomson (2/7/2015)

Okay, I'm insulted and I am not a Yankee fan.

That sounds as if you understood my point - well said.

Actually, I was insulted.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (2/7/2015)

TomThomson (2/7/2015)

Tom, must say that I find this comment totally inappropriate

😎

How can it be appropriate to question whether Yankee fans are human but no to question whether Americans are human? You should recognise a pretty ordinary means of calling into question a piece of stupidity, generalisation to include the author of the stupidity into its range.

I imagine you wil have collected a lot of comments agreeing with you - hence one can deduce the validity of my generalisation.

Tom

• TomThomson (2/14/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (2/7/2015)

TomThomson (2/7/2015)

😎

How can it be appropriate to question whether Yankee fans are human but no to question whether Americans are human? You should recognise a pretty ordinary means of calling into question a piece of stupidity, generalisation to include the author of the stupidity into its range.

I imagine you wil have collected a lot of comments agreeing with you - hence one can deduce the validity of my generalisation.

One is talking smack between sports fans and is interpreted as such by anyone who does it. The other is not.

• TomThomson (2/14/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (2/7/2015)

TomThomson (2/7/2015)

😎

Grant -- Are they even human?

Tom -- usually not - they're mostly American

Hence, I was offended by your answer to Grant's question.

Viewing 15 posts - 47,446 through 47,460 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply