Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Not to be weird, but...

YAY! I HAVE MY FIRST SUSPECT DATABASE!

It's a non-prod reporting database that doesn't get backed up, so now I can really some practice in. @=)

Of course, I could cheat and just restore it from the OLTP database that it usually gets restored from, but that's too easy of a solution.

(rubs hands together gleefully). Is it twisted that I'm about to enjoy myself this morning?

I don't think it's completely twisted that you enjoy it, but it's pretty nice that you have an ace up your sleeve to rebuild it if nothing else works. So, I guess congratulations are in order on your suspect database and a chance to play. 😉

And now I am heart broken. It's only a space issue. Some nimrod (probably me) restored the DB to the wrong drive.

Bleargh. And here I thought I was going to be able to do SCHTUFF. Still, I might as well follow the insufficient drive space issue along to see what else I can find before I fix it.

Sorry for your loss. I know what you mean about wanting to try stuff out.

Doesn't Paul Randall have some suspect databases and ones that have integrity check errors available for download? It's been a while, but I think I remember downloading some a while back for testing. You might be able to play after all.

Well, I put it in emergency mode and am running DBCC CheckDB (no params) against it to see what comes up. We'll see what I get to learn (although, I already know to avoid the repair with data loss option).

Paul has corrupt databases available at http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/corruption-demo-databases-and-scripts/.

Enjoy and have fun with it.

• Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Not to be weird, but...

It's a non-prod reporting database that doesn't get backed up, so now I can really some practice in. @=)

Of course, I could cheat and just restore it from the OLTP database that it usually gets restored from, but that's too easy of a solution.

(rubs hands together gleefully). Is it twisted that I'm about to enjoy myself this morning?

I don't think it's completely twisted that you enjoy it, but it's pretty nice that you have an ace up your sleeve to rebuild it if nothing else works. So, I guess congratulations are in order on your suspect database and a chance to play. 😉

And now I am heart broken. It's only a space issue. Some nimrod (probably me) restored the DB to the wrong drive.

Bleargh. And here I thought I was going to be able to do SCHTUFF. Still, I might as well follow the insufficient drive space issue along to see what else I can find before I fix it.

Doesn't Paul Randall have some suspect databases and ones that have integrity check errors available for download? It's been a while, but I think I remember downloading some a while back for testing. You might be able to play after all.

Well, I put it in emergency mode and am running DBCC CheckDB (no params) against it to see what comes up. We'll see what I get to learn (although, I already know to avoid the repair with data loss option).

Paul has corrupt databases available at http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/corruption-demo-databases-and-scripts/.

Thanks for the link!

My db, predictably, has "CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database". Heartbroken, I tell you. I'm just heartbroken.

And now I'm trying to take it offline. And apparently failing miserably.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Not to be weird, but...

Thanks for the link!

My db, predictably, has "CHECKDB found 0 allocation errors and 0 consistency errors in database". Heartbroken, I tell you. I'm just heartbroken.

If you want to corrupt your own database, you can always use DBCC WRITEPAGE[/url].

I'm not sure I would do it on my databases: it would feel like poisoning my own children...

-- Gianluca Sartori

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (3/3/2015)

Not to be weird, but...

Thanks for the link!

Brandie, if you want, I can send you a script to create and then corrupt a database. I use this in the hand's on portion of an interview where I judge someone's ability to handle this situation.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

Welcome home Lynn. Enjoy!

a few hours to kill in London then off to the Excel centre to help with setting up and bag packing, etc.

Safe trips for those of you are making it over to London over the next few days. Hopefully I'll get to catch up with most, if not all of you, in Person.

I'll be the one if the green shirt... Oh there are a few of us! And a camera!!

Cheers,

Rodders...

I really, really, really wish I could afford to go to London.

Brandie lets aim for next years event? Although it might not be in London...

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

a few hours to kill in London then off to the Excel centre to help with setting up and bag packing, etc.

Safe trips for those of you are making it over to London over the next few days. Hopefully I'll get to catch up with most, if not all of you, in Person.

Cheers,

Rodders...

Rodders...

I'm certainly willing to try.

Where does SQLBITS usually get held? What continent?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/4/2015)

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Rodders...

Always been UK based. The Committee likes to go around the country. Haven't done Scotland or Northern Island yet. Once in Wales. This is the third in London out of 14 events.

Hope that helps,

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (3/4/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (3/4/2015)

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Rodders...

Always been UK based. The Committee likes to go around the country. Haven't done Scotland or Northern Island yet. Once in Wales. This is the third in London out of 14 events.

Hope that helps,

Rodders...

I've always wanted to visit the UK. I have heritage from Wales and Ireland (plus there's an entire village named after me! Well, okay, maybe my surname comes from the village, but I prefer thinking of it the other way around @=).

• Brandie Tarvin (3/4/2015)

rodjkidd (3/4/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (3/4/2015)

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

rodjkidd (3/3/2015)

Cheers,

Rodders...

Rodders...

Hope that helps,

Rodders...

I've always wanted to visit the UK. I have heritage from Wales and Ireland (plus there's an entire village named after me! Well, okay, maybe my surname comes from the village, but I prefer thinking of it the other way around @=).

Nice 🙂

Well both Gail and Brent Ozar have used previous visits to include holiday sight seeing.

Gail went to Stonehenge.

Brent did a tour of castles in the West last year. Missed Warwick for some silly reason - probably the most famous one in the West Midlands;-)

Quite funny when I pointed it out to him

Rodders...

• Is it just that it's been so long that I haven't posted one, or does the Article Contribution Center (article editor) not play well with IE11?

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (3/5/2015)

Is it just that it's been so long that I haven't posted one, or does the Article Contribution Center (article editor) not play well with IE11?

I haven't tried it with IE 11 yet.

• dwain.c (3/5/2015)

Is it just that it's been so long that I haven't posted one, or does the Article Contribution Center (article editor) not play well with IE11?

I would say it doesn't play well with IE11. Lot's of things don't play well with IE11. Have you tried compat mode? Or another browser?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

I would say it doesn't play well with IE11. Lot's of things don't play well with IE11. Have you tried compat mode? Or another browser?

To pile on, one of our vended solutions is having issues with IE11, so I would agree with this comment.

• Brandie Tarvin (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

To pile on, one of our vended solutions is having issues with IE11, so I would agree with this comment.

There are more and more sites that just don't work with IE. I have been seeing more sites with messages about being optimized for Chrome or FF and no guarantee that it will work with IE.

As somebody who has been working as web developer for 15+ years I can tell you the process currently is to write your site to work with all the "other" browsers, then go back and rewrite large portions of it so it will work with the abomination know as IE. 😉

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

There are more and more sites that just don't work with IE. I have been seeing more sites with messages about being optimized for Chrome or FF and no guarantee that it will work with IE.

As somebody who has been working as web developer for 15+ years I can tell you the process currently is to write your site to work with all the "other" browsers, then go back and rewrite large portions of it so it will work with the abomination know as IE. 😉

Amen. Do you remember the browser wars between IE and Netscape? Netscape was superior up until about 4.5, then it started to go downhill fast. IE just worked. Now the tide has turned the other way.

I guess MS hasn't learned yet that it can't redesign its end user products every few years and break backward compatibility and just expect that the rest of the world will follow due to their market dominance. Their own COM specification in the days of yesteryear dictated that backward compatibility was to be maintained when writing COM components. I guess the spirit of it died along with COM.

Chrome was quite buggy when it first came out, but at least Google fixed things. MS doesn't bother with IE. As for me, I'll continue to use FF.

Viewing 15 posts - 47,731 through 47,745 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply