Are the posted questions getting worse?

• And then there's Australian Rules Football....

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• john.arnott (5/22/2009)

Christopher Stobbs (5/22/2009)

Which is why I like Rugby, as "hardcore" and rough a sport as it is, there is hardly ever any swearing at the ref, and if there was it would be dealt immediately 🙂

Lynn funny you mentioned that have you red this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8043277.stm

So I guess there's some truth to the old chestnut that "Soccer is a gentleman's sport played by ruffians and rugby is a ruffian's sport played by gentlemen."

Actually, both are a gentleman's sport. Rugby was the only school that didn't take part in the formation of Soccer, and went off to form their own sport. I don't think I have my Referee Instructor material in the car (I'll check) but I'd be happy to get the details for you as soon as possible.

• Jack Corbett (5/22/2009)

I like both American football and soccer. I did not like soccer until I had the opportunity to coach it at the Junior High/Middle School level and really learned how it should be played. I have found that many people who don't like soccer don't understand the nuances and intricacies of the game. No offense to any non-soccer lovers out there, I really like all sports, well, except field hockey.

I'm somewhat in the same boat, although my preference to to participate in various sports rather than watch them. I enjoy chasing after a small white ball err.. golfing however watching it on TV is like watching paint dry. Same with baseball, basketball, etc. Actually I'd much rather watch golf than baseball.

About the only things I watch on TV are football and hockey depending on the time of year. It's been a good year to be a Pittsburgh fan...

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• This is what i was looking for:

The “modern” game dates from 1863 when the first “Laws of the Game” were

produced as the result of a meeting, in Fleet Street, London, between a number

of “young gentlemen’s schools” that wished to play against each other and

therefore needed a single set of Laws. Note: At that meeting one school

declined to participate and decided to produce laws for a game of their own. The

declining school was Rugby. The game of Rugby Football is also played

worldwide and provided the basis of the game of “Football” known by Americans.

• Luke L (5/22/2009)

Jack Corbett (5/22/2009)

I like both American football and soccer. I did not like soccer until I had the opportunity to coach it at the Junior High/Middle School level and really learned how it should be played. I have found that many people who don't like soccer don't understand the nuances and intricacies of the game. No offense to any non-soccer lovers out there, I really like all sports, well, except field hockey.

I'm somewhat in the same boat, although my preference to to participate in various sports rather than watch them. I enjoy chasing after a small white ball err.. golfing however watching it on TV is like watching paint dry. Same with baseball, basketball, etc. Actually I'd much rather watch golf than baseball.

About the only things I watch on TV are football and hockey depending on the time of year. It's been a good year to be a Pittsburgh fan...

My wife has suddenly become a hockey fan after attending an AFA Hockey game. It is an interesting sport.

This, of course, does not mean she watches it on TV. She has decided that she is going to attend AFA Hockey games next season. Season tickets aren't all that expensive.

• Luke L (5/22/2009)[hr.... I enjoy chasing after a small white ball err.. golfing however watching it on TV is like watching paint dry. Same with baseball, basketball, etc. Actually I'd much rather watch golf than baseball.

Golf on TV can occassionally be spellbinding. I was lucky enough to have tuned in to Tiger Woods winning his third US Amateur championship a dozen or so years ago over Steve Scott with a come-from-behind 38-hole victory. I wasn't, nor am I now, a true golf fan, but that day and of course his Masters win last year on a bum knee were marvelous performances.

I have to agree that baseball on TV can never measure up to watching the sport live. It's so spread out and the flow of the game just aren't as suited to the medium as football (American or Soccer), hockey or basketball.

• john.arnott (5/22/2009)

Luke L (5/22/2009)[hr.... I enjoy chasing after a small white ball err.. golfing however watching it on TV is like watching paint dry. Same with baseball, basketball, etc. Actually I'd much rather watch golf than baseball.

Golf on TV can occassionally be spellbinding. I was lucky enough to have tuned in to Tiger Woods winning his third US Amateur championship a dozen or so years ago over Steve Scott with a come-from-behind 38-hole victory. I wasn't, nor am I now, a true golf fan, but that day and of course his Masters win last year on a bum knee were marvelous performances.

I have to agree that baseball on TV can never measure up to watching the sport live. It's so spread out and the flow of the game just aren't as suited to the medium as football (American or Soccer), hockey or basketball.

A sport made for radio? My dad doesn't like to watch baseball, but loves to listen to it on the radio.

• Lynn Pettis (5/22/2009)

A sport made for radio? My dad doesn't like to watch baseball, but loves to listen to it on the radio.

I love baseball on radio, except on close plays, then I wish for instant replay!

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• I have gone to a few Colorado Springs SkySox games (they are the minor league feeder club for the Rockies), and something I learned there, you don't go to watch the game but to spend time with friends and family.

• AFA as in the Air Force Academy? Yeah I'd imagine their games are pretty decent and that they would get some good teams to come and play them. But if she really starts to like it, I'd suggest supporting the local CHL team in your area, the Colorado Eagles, or splurging to see an Avalanche game here and there. If it's anything like the AHL teams we get to see, tickets can be had for a song, but you still get to see great hockey played by NHL hopefuls. Though I would imagine that you might see better games at the AFA when Michigan and some of the other power houses from that region come calling.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

I have gone to a few Colorado Springs SkySox games (they are the minor league feeder club for the Rockies), and something I learned there, you don't go to watch the game but to spend time with friends and family.

Yup the minor league baseball games can be tedious, but can be a great intro tot he sport for kids. They get to see something in a decent sized stadium, but still get up close and personal with the players. I have found memories of heading to those games with my family making certain to get there for batting practice where the players would stand at the fence talking to and signing balls for all of the kids.

I have gone to a few Colorado Springs SkySox games (they are the minor league feeder club for the Rockies), and something I learned there, you don't go to watch the game but to spend time with friends and family.

A bit of a drive to see either of the Colorado teams in the CHL. Broomfield and Loveland are about a 2 to 3 hour drive.

With the AFA and CC in our backyard, I think that's pretty good. I know the girls would love to see an Av's game, but tickets to one of those games can almost pay for the AFA season tickets.

• I live in Chicago, on the nortwest side. Wrigley, as you may be know, most attendees are there to see and be seen - more amusing than the games sometimes. I follow the Cubs but really only in the papers or when I visit my mom who is a huge fan, but only via radio for her. Her beloved Ron Santo broadcasts the game and she couldn't be any happier. I personally love all sports (basketball and fishing are my favorites) but prefer everything except football in person. That could've been due to the seats I had for the one Bears game I went to. Saw maybe 30 percent of the action.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

john.arnott (5/22/2009)

As any afficianado of baseball knows, even if a player or manager curses up a storm in arguing a call with an umpire, he'll be tolerated so long as he doesn't use the "Y" word. He can say "that was a [horrible] call", using whatever nasty adjective one can think of for "horrible", with little consequence. But as soon as he says "You blew that call", he's likely to be headed for the clubhouse.

Which is why you won't see baseball players or managers playing or coaching soccer, they'd get warned (dissent by word or action) or sent off (foul and/or abusive language).

I like watching professional soccer. You rarely see the coaches getting angry on the touchline with the officials (not saying the don't).

Hehe, our head coach (baseball), in reply to a really bad decision said, "Umpire, you may reconsider this decision". 😎

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Something new for this threads topic:

Copying a database

:w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 4,786 through 4,800 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply