Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Geez, now someone doesn't even understand that the code they are running generates and runs dynamic SQL.

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Interesting book. I had to read it after watching the not so good Part I and Part II movies based on the book.

You could almost call her a prophet.

• Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

To be honest, I actually blame Microsoft a bit here. It used to be that "Books Online" would install with the product. Now, it's a separate install unless you want your server to have direct web access (no thanks).

I hate this. It's such a pain to get installed, I've started going without it and managing my syntax issues by alternating experiments with curses at MS employees.

• I do love showing people Jeff's DelimitedSplit8K function and pointing them to his article.

• GilaMonster (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

I must be getting cynical. Too many people are losing the ability to think for themselves and solve problems needing everything handed to them on silver platters.

Not being nasty, but maybe you need a short break from here?

what is nasty?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Geez, now someone doesn't even understand that the code they are running generates and runs dynamic SQL.

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Interesting book. I had to read it after watching the not so good Part I and Part II movies based on the book.

Speaking of John Gault, just imagine if ALL the heavy hitters ALL took a week off from ALL forums at once. Would it actually make a difference in the world?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

I do love showing people Jeff's DelimitedSplit8K function and pointing them to his article.

:blush: I'm honored, ol' friend. It's not mine though. We've all made improvements to it over time. I'm just the caretaker of a wonderful community effort.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Speaking of John Gault, just imagine if ALL the heavy hitters ALL took a week off from ALL forums at once. Would it actually make a difference in the world?

Nope. Someone else would step up and try to answer the questions and emergencies. I wouldn't want to be the recipient of some of those answers.

Plus I think it would be really hard to stay away, just saying.

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Nope. Someone else would step up and try to answer the questions and emergencies. I wouldn't want to be the recipient of some of those answers.

So you admit to having an addiction?

Congratulations on taking that step to recovery.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Don't we all! 😀

Come on, admit it!

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Don't we all! 😀

Come on, admit it!

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Ayn Rand's character is Galt, not Gault. John Gault was the encased stamp guy, not a fictional character.

Tom

• TomThomson (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Ayn Rand's character is Galt, not Gault. John Gault was the encased stamp guy, not a fictional character.

Yea, but we all knew what was meant.

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What, you wouldn't like to have someone tell you that the best way to stay dry is to jump regularly into lakes? Don't you find it amusing? 😀

I get unhappy when those people tell their stories to innocent seekers for assistance, but not when they give their answers to me.

Tom

• TomThomson (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

Heh... yeah... I had a lotta "gault" pangs getting that wrong. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

Doesn't it involve fireworks and music?

ISTR there was some sort of libation involved, but I can't figure out if an minimum age applied as well.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 48,406 through 48,420 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply