Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/14/2015)

Question for the people here...

Over the years I've been very careful to keep my blog completely non-commercial, no adverts, no plugs for my company, nothing. Partially because when I started it that was a condition my boss required (no link whatsoever to the bank I worked for then) and partially because I hate sites of the form 'here's a scrap of info, pay me for the rest'.

I'm considering changing that, adding a bit to the side bar advertising my services, mostly database tuning, and maybe books I've written/contributed to and probably more later on.

What are your feelings?

A) Why didn't you do that years ago?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

C) I will never read your blog again!!1!!!11!!!

A, most definitely. There is nothing wrong with monetizing your blog, especially for advertising your own services and contributions. In fact, listing books you've written or contributed to adds validity to the content of your posts by making you look like even more of an authority.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Tom Brown (5/14/2015)

even Sci-Fi authors/books - on amazon click through, (I'm sure I remember picking up book recommendations from your site in the past)

That's kinda been there for a long time. The reading list in the sidebar links through to Amazon with my associate ID so I get some credit from Amazon if anyone clicks through and buys a book. I think I've got somewhere around $8 in total out of that in the last 5 or so years.

Never any tracking cookies

Never anything that moves/plays sound/pops up and blocks half your screen

Never anything you don't see and approve the content before it goes on your site

And Never any of those random 5 celebrity fact things (or I'll never visit your site again! :hehe:)

Definitely not, I'm the only author of that site, no way anything (other than comments) could show up without my being aware.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Over the years I've been very careful to keep my blog completely non-commercial, no adverts, no plugs for my company, nothing. Partially because when I started it that was a condition my boss required (no link whatsoever to the bank I worked for then) and partially because I hate sites of the form 'here's a scrap of info, pay me for the rest'.

I'm considering changing that, adding a bit to the side bar advertising my services, mostly database tuning, and maybe books I've written/contributed to and probably more later on.

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

Definitely A. You aren't talking about advertising, you are talking about making your own blog more of your own brand. I say it is long overdue.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

A unless I'm allowed to go for D) Providing links to other resources you've contributed to written or rate is something I personally would regard as an additional benefit.

Look at it this way, if you saw something on SQL Skills highlighting something Paul had contributed to you weren't aware of, you'd probably be quite pleased I'd guess?

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, as long as it doesn't become what you described - here's a tiny scrap of info surrounded by so much advertising, flashing banner ads and junk that you can barely find the content of the page.

Here's something to think about, but you've probably considered it already. Why are people are reading your blog about SQL Server? There could be many reasons, but I'd bet the main ones fall into the following categories:

1. They want to learn something to expand their understanding of SQL Server because they're interested.

2. They want to learn something so they can solve a problem they're facing now.

3. They're looking for help.

For those seeking help and in over their heads, I think that knowing they can hire you to help them would be helpful to them.

For those looking to learn for whatever reason, knowing what books you've written on the subject would also be a help to them.

Advertising database stuff on your blog is very targeted to the audience. Advertising Kendo sticks, bicycle sales in Taiwan and the weather isn't pertinent. A lot of sites do it, but it serves to turn people off to the site. I honestly believe that, done right, advertising won't turn people off.

• Ed Wagner (5/11/2015)

WayneS (5/11/2015)

Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

I do love showing people Jeff's DelimitedSplit8K function and pointing them to his article.

:blush: I'm honored, ol' friend. It's not mine though. We've all made improvements to it over time. I'm just the caretaker of a wonderful community effort.

Yes, the community has made improvements... but it was your insight that got it to the point where it was a high performing piece of black-arts SQL in the first place.

Jeff, you know Wayne is right. Allow me to add that it was your explanation of it that made the black-arts code understandable to a great many people.

:blush: Gosh, folks. I'm totally humbled. I don't know how to respond except to say thank you for all that you do for this community.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

Advertising your services in a side bar, or plugging things that you've done? That would be a A.

Making it the main focus of your site? That would be a B. If it's completely about your services, or in your face, then even a C.

Have you thought of a page (or pages) that has links to:

1. Books that you have authored / co-authored

2. Books that you recommend

3. Books that you have reviewed (links to the reviews)

4. Articles that you recommend

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

Go for it....there's advertising and then there is 'advertising'. You aren't charging me to view your blog. You aren't 'harassing' me with advertisements for stuff I don't care about. You aren't throwing advertisements in my face (pop-ups...splashes, etc). You are just posting on YOUR blog the things that YOU do as a business person. I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. I also see nothing wrong with trying to make money from a blog by accepting advertisements....I just don't want them to interfere with my experience....don't have videos that auto-play, don't have pop-ups, splashes, etc...don't have advertisements that have no relation to what I'm viewing.

So that's my input.

-SQLBill

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

a.

Do it. Easy to ignore. Good to have if someone wants to hire you.

• I agree with what the others have said. Your community service and that blog have been well above and beyond the call of duty and you advertising yourself to possible paying customers would certainly not be a detractor for me or prevent me from continuing to provide links to your wonderful articles. Go for it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

A

😎

• Tom Brown (5/14/2015)

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

Definitely (A)

For sure advertise your own stuff - a no brainer really

And maybe other database software that you have no objections to, or related publications, even Sci-Fi authors/books - on amazon click through, (I'm sure I remember picking up book recommendations from your site in the past)

You didn't mention it, and I wouldn't even expect you to entertain the possibility, but just to be sure:

Never any tracking cookies

Never anything that moves/plays sound/pops up and blocks half your screen

Never anything you don't see and approve the content before it goes on your site

And Never any of those random 5 celebrity fact things (or I'll never visit your site again! :hehe:)

I'm 100% in agreement with that.

Tom

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

I love your blog, SSC articles and books Gail. The more people that know about them them better. Plug away.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• WayneS (5/14/2015)

GilaMonster (5/14/2015)

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

Advertising your services in a side bar, or plugging things that you've done? That would be a A.

Making it the main focus of your site? That would be a B. If it's completely about your services, or in your face, then even a C.

Gail - of all the responses so far I'd have to say I'm most in agreement with Wayne's.

Avoid popups and pop unders. Those are like totally annoying.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (5/14/2015)

WayneS (5/14/2015)

GilaMonster (5/14/2015)

What are your feelings?

B) Meh, ok, if you must.

Gail - of all the responses so far I'd have to say I'm most in agreement with Wayne's.

Avoid popups and pop unders. Those are like totally annoying.

+1

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 15 posts - 48,436 through 48,450 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply