Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (5/27/2015)

Looks like I hit a few nerves with Sunday's editorial....

Two words...

Ugh

Troll

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (5/27/2015)

GilaMonster (5/27/2015)

Two words...

Ugh

Troll

Yes, I know, don't feed the troll and all that nonsense. Just can't seem to help myself.

Hi, my name is Lynn and I feed the trolls.

• SQLRNNR (5/27/2015)

GilaMonster (5/27/2015)

Two words...

Ugh

Troll

I'd reply and point out the flaw in his logic (he's got scientific method and scientific consensus the wrong way around in cause and effect), but since he's already told me that he doesn't expect me to agree with him or to be right, I'll maybe save the effort.

Steve, maybe that thread needs a reminder on how to behave?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

SQLRNNR (5/27/2015)

GilaMonster (5/27/2015)

Two words...

Ugh

Troll

I'd reply and point out the flaw in his logic (he's got scientific method and scientific consensus the wrong way around in cause and effect), but since he's already told me that he doesn't expect me to agree with him or to be right, I'll maybe save the effort.

No matter how far south the discussion goes, Gail, I liked your editorial.

• Grant Fritchey (5/22/2015)

Question for the crew since this is a fairly international audience, plagiarism

I understand that some cultures look at it very differently than most Western European-based ones do. There's the whole "I'm showing respect by not altering your words" thing, that I actually understand. BUT, does that mean that you're showing respect by lifting the entire work? You like my script for querying the XML in a query plan so you use it in a presentation. I get it. Attribution would be nice, but not the end of the world. You like my presentation on execution plans so you copy the entire thing and start submitting it to SQL Saturday events, SQLBits, whatever, I'm not really down with that. I have a hard time believing that any culture would be. Am I wrong? Educate the stupid 'Merican please.

I'm bringing this up because I'm aware of two different incidents recently from two different countries, one decidedly Western-oriented, the other mostly so, where people have just been lifting entire presentations and abstracts and submitting them to events without permission or even informing the owner of the material. That just smacks of a clear wrong that no one should need to be told. But, maybe I'm just ignorant.

Nah, copying presentations is just plain wrong. Nothing wrong with your gut feeling ๐Ÿ˜€

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Maybe. I think more this is a little sniping and arguing, more for the sake of argument than any rational purpose.

No misbehavior. Just nonsensical.

SQLRNNR (5/27/2015)

GilaMonster (5/27/2015)

Two words...

Ugh

Troll

Gail perhaps someone needs that link you posted some time back to dogs and kittens interrupting people when you are trying to read.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/27/2015)

GilaMonster (5/27/2015)

Maybe. I think more this is a little sniping and arguing, more for the sake of argument than any rational purpose.

My thought's exactly! Argument for Argument's sake

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/27/2015)

GilaMonster (5/27/2015)

Mistakes are usually how we learn.

Assumptions are just that until you have tested and proved it out.

And discussing different results also leads to improvement.

I liked the article, some of the comments were insightful, while some comments showed the poster certainly didn't know it all.

And the InfoBright comment showed exactly why with different variables you still may want to test again.

Things can change, and sometimes new technologies add a different set of variables.

Jeff's comment on scalability was also a gem, highlighting Gail's point of larger test sets.

Climate change - list the variables that can affect the outcome.

Is it a mystery that it's debated by many?

I only know enough that some of the change is likely caused by man, some by nature.

And it is totally possible that it is a natural cycle.

But I would find it very difficult to control all the variables and replicate testing.

Testing - done correctly - is a very important basic skill to have.

Which the article pointed out very well.

Overall from the comments, you see a wide variety of opinions and skill levels of the readers.

Some are just opinions, and just that until proven.

Then better discussion will happen.

• Ed has the crystal ball today, plus nerves of steel and the patience of a person with a tent guarded by a hippo..

โ€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.โ€ - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (5/28/2015)

Ed has the crystal ball today, plus nerves of steel and the patience of a person with a tent guarded by a hippo..

I really wish someone would pass me the crystal ball. I could use it over at my workplace this week.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• ChrisM@Work (5/28/2015)

Ed has the crystal ball today, plus nerves of steel and the patience of a person with a tent guarded by a hippo..

We need to get a GPS tracker on that bl%$ยฃy ball, last time I knew it was broken and being taken to a repair shop down in Peeters land

๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Is there just one? If there's a separate one for VS Online, pass it over.

• Well, unless someone used DBCC Timewarp() on it, the last I checked there was only one. But then again, someone did say DBCC Timewarp() was outdated and being downgraded. I don't remember what it was supposed to be replaced with, but maybe that new function / proc / whatever managed to duplicate another crystal ball for us.

And then someone ran off with it without mentioning that there was a new one...

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/28/2015)

Is there just one? If there's a separate one for VS Online, pass it over.

"There can be only one" although AlwaysOn might come in handy here:-P

๐Ÿ˜Ž

Viewing 15 posts - 48,646 through 48,660 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply