Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Lynn Pettis (5/27/2009)

There is nothing inherently wrong with this post, but I have to wonder off to my tent in the desert. What do we do as DBA's that isn't technical in nature??

Well, when I was DBA for a small window coverings company, I had to be close enough to the business to propose projects and sell them to senior management, discuss process improvements with line managers, back up some operational folks (on the mainframe), and a host of other non-technical stuff (including making the coffee when I took the last cup).

At another place I worked, the guys whose job descriptions read "DBA", just watched for red lights on HP Openview and reacted as needed.

DBA can mean many things.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• Tom Brown (5/27/2009)

Roy Ernest (5/27/2009)

Lynn Pettis (5/27/2009)

GSquared (5/27/2009)

I have an outline and structure in mind. Now it's a matter of fleshing it out. Won't be immediate, but should be fast.

If there is anything you need help with like research, code testing, etc, I'd be glad and help. I think it would be valuable experience for me.

I too volunteer for that part. Research and Code testing is good for me too... 🙂

Lynn Congrats... 🙂

Not sure if I could add anything on the subject of indexing, however you can have my services for proof reading, code checking, und so weiter.

Don't say

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (5/27/2009)

Don't say

:kiss:

• Ah, the secret formula for building up points without actually demonstrating SQL acumen or adding value to conversations, yet not risking saying something completely wrong....

• Wow.

I posted, went to bed, and here we are the following morning with five (count 'em!) pages of posts to catch up on. You (y'all) have been busy! Sixteen posts to 5000!

Special mention for Bob's "what's an index" post - I fell off my chair laughing at that.

I feel that the definitive work on indexing should certainly include such humour. Not enough laughs in your average SQL tome IMNSHO.

My guess would be that the technical content of such a book would not be the challenge for you lot - staying on topic might be though 😛

Actually, the hard part would be getting the structure and overall flow of the thing right - something I suck at royally.

Paul

• john.arnott (5/27/2009)

Ah, the secret formula for building up points without actually demonstrating SQL acumen or adding value to conversations, yet not risking saying something completely wrong....

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

Ah, the secret formula for building up points without actually demonstrating SQL acumen or adding value to conversations, yet not risking saying something completely wrong....

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

john.arnott (5/27/2009)

[font="Courier New"]Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32).

Case expressions may only be nested to level 10.

Syntax error at line 5.[/font]

[font="Courier New"]Post count was incremented succesfully.[/font]

• Paul White (5/27/2009)

[font="Courier New"]Maximum stored procedure, function, trigger, or view nesting level exceeded (limit 32).

Case expressions may only be nested to level 10.

Syntax error at line 5.[/font]

[font="Courier New"]Post count was incremented succesfully.[/font]

ROFL....

Thanks, Paul.

("Twelve bottles of beer on the wall, twelve bottles of beer.....")

• Well now that's just strange. What the heck?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• And because I can...

10 bottles of beer on the wall, 10 bottles of beer...

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (5/27/2009)

And because I can...

10 bottles of beer on the wall, 10 bottles of beer...

Make that 9. I just opened one.

😎

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• 9 bottles of beer on the wall, 9 bottles of beer! Take 1 down pass it around, 8 bottles of beer on the wall!!

• 8 bottles of beer on the wall, 8 bottles of beer! Take 1 down pass it around, 7 bottles of beer on the wall!!

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Hello, Expert Gurus!!!!

I need to know what "SQL" means.

Is an index the opposite of an outdex?

IF U DON"T KNOW, PLEAS DOn't AnSer me.

Urgent, urgent, urgent..... My database fundamentals instructor told me that if I offer eight bottles of beer, you will do all my homework for me.

(Something about the approach of a BIG [font="Comic Sans MS"]ROUND NUMBER[/font] makes me giddy)

• john.arnott (5/27/2009)

Hello, Expert Gurus!!!!

I need to know what "SQL" means.

Is an index the opposite of an outdex?

IF U DON"T KNOW, PLEAS DOn't AnSer me.

Urgent, urgent, urgent..... My database fundamentals instructor told me that if I offer eight bottles of beer, you will do all my homework for me.

(Something about the approach of a BIG [font="Comic Sans MS"]ROUND NUMBER[/font] makes me giddy)

You forgot, I don't accept links as answers.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Viewing 15 posts - 4,981 through 4,995 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply