Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (6/3/2009)

Adam:

I hate to sound so quantum (reference to today's cartoon from the front page), but I think the principle of publishing even when there are problems with it, is both right and wrong at the same time. Kind of like a lot of Wikipedia articles.

So, I'm observing the post, but can't tell. Is your cat dead or not?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Is there a good way to search for a particular QotD? If I use the search bar, it seems to focus on Articles/Forums/Scripts, even if I put "Question of the Day" before my search item.

Reason I'm asking, is I pulled question 53 out of the "Two-Minute Stumpers" and threw it at my team for fun. While I can find the reference on MSDN with the answer (different article than referenced, btw: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176089.aspx), I can't get a default len of 30 out of the function, and I'm getting nit-picked to death. :w00t: (my fault for not testing it first)

select len(cast(year(getdate()) as char)) -- returns 4

select len(cast(month(getdate()) as char)) -- returns 1

Is this specific to 2008? We're on 2000 and 2005. I was hoping to find the discussion on this QotD and see if that came up, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks, 😀

Jon

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• select len(cast(year(getdate()) as char)) -- returns 4

LEN does an implicit right trim. Try DATALENGTH instead.

--
    Adam Machanic
    whoisactive

• What do I do to deserve this 🙁

Before you click on the link, be aware that they OP has posted vast quantities of data - twice - it now crashes my IE6 browser and I can't get back into the thread. Someone with the latest EeetSh1tKill Xenon Mega9000 PC (or possibly Firefox) will have to take it up.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost728231.aspx

And I still haven't found out what he actually wants.

• Adam Machanic (6/3/2009)

LEN does an implicit right trim. Try DATALENGTH instead.

beautiful, thanks Chef for helping me remember all those things I'd forgotten 😉

Another good question for the team.

Still have that question about finding the QotD on the site. Anyone?

• WayneS (6/2/2009)

Steve, as I was typing this, I came up with an idea... Is there anyway that articles that have been rated below a certain level can have some kind of web site inserted mumbo-jumbo notice on the top of the page made to be quite prominent that peers at SSC have rated this article at a low level, and that the reader should treat the article lightly, and be sure to read the article discussion for why?

Good idea. I'll add this as an enhancement as well.

• Tom Brown (6/3/2009)

What do I do to deserve this 🙁

Before you click on the link, be aware that they OP has posted vast quantities of data - twice - it now crashes my IE6 browser and I can't get back into the thread. Someone with the latest EeetSh1tKill Xenon Mega9000 PC (or possibly Firefox) will have to take it up.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost728231.aspx

And I still haven't found out what he actually wants.

download IE7, it'll prompt you to kill the script before it takes your browser out. I tried to restate what I think he's asking for based on your script not working for him, we'll see what the response is. Not sure why that would be helpful to the call center, but his requirement, not mine.

• jcrawf02 (6/3/2009)

Is there a good way to search for a particular QotD? If I use the search bar, it seems to focus on Articles/Forums/Scripts, even if I put "Question of the Day" before my search item.

Reason I'm asking, is I pulled question 53 out of the "Two-Minute Stumpers" and threw it at my team for fun. While I can find the reference on MSDN with the answer (different article than referenced, btw: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176089.aspx), I can't get a default len of 30 out of the function, and I'm getting nit-picked to death. :w00t: (my fault for not testing it first)

Is this specific to 2008? We're on 2000 and 2005. I was hoping to find the discussion on this QotD and see if that came up, but can't seem to find it.

Thanks, 😀

Jon

Which volume are you referencing? Volume 1, question 53, pertains to maximum RAM for SQL 2000 EE 64bit.

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• jcrawf02 (6/3/2009)

download IE7, it'll prompt you to kill the script before it takes your browser out.

I wish I could, but - its corporate PC - controlled by some central bureaucracy, circa 2002, 1.8GHz Stick of Celery with 256Mb RAM, the only thing I have internet access on while at work. I'll look again when I get home tonight.

• Ok, cleaned up the sample data, should load now.

FYI FF3 asks to kill the script as well. There's a "do not ask me again" box that you don't want to check.

• Gus and Gail have both been to this one, but I had to put it here. I'd like to know what resources he has read on triggers.

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Hi Jack,

Yeah I saw that one as well, first thing that I thought when I saw him say

I'm quiet new to sql but I have already made a few nice triggers by searching the net etc..

was trouble in the house 😉

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Steve Jones - Editor (6/3/2009)

I think you're architecturally confused.

I like that reply.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• I posted that one on Twitter. Wonder if anyone else has a better way to explain it.

Popup from a trigger is a new one on me.

• Popup from a trigger? I like the idea, but I'm afraid that just can't work.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 5,266 through 5,280 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply