Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SSMS is decoupled from SQL. You need to install that separately.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/1/2016)

SSMS is decoupled from SQL. You need to install that separately.

That was the issue. Figured that out about 2 seconds after I hit "post"

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Grant Fritchey (6/1/2016)

yb751 (6/1/2016)

Grant Fritchey (6/1/2016)

yb751 (6/1/2016)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/1/2016)

yb751 (6/1/2016)

Christmas in June!!!

The purchase of some Red Gate tools finally got approved by my boss. 😀

Feels like I've been begging forever. I'm not trying to promote those tools over any other ones mind you. However, I will say that the tools I did demo were very intuitive and I was able to put them to good use right away.

In retrospect, not having some of these types of tools at first probably helped me in the long run though. Had to learn to do some things the old fashioned way. lol

Yeah. Good to hear, and let us know what things you want improved. There is some movement and refocus to update and improve the tools here and there, outside of the big work on Compare and Monitor.

I'm guessing you probably can't mention anything about the 'big work' on Monitor but I will mention the same thing I told the sales rep. I do wish there was a little more focus on SQL Azure (PaaS). I realize that there are no exposed perfmon metrics/WMI on that platform but you already query DMV's on local instances so why not on Azure? That would be my only gripe but overall I'm pretty happy thus far. SQL Compare has been an absolute joy!

I'm interested. What would you want to see for Azure monitoring? DTU certainly, but you can get that from the portal. What else?

It's true the portal does offer a variety of charts to choose from for monitoring, but it would be nice to consolidate all that information in one location. That being said the usual suspects would be great.

-Query Performance

-Wait Stats

-DB Sizes

-Connections

Also I do believe Azure v12 includes some new DMV's to choose from.

OK. Fair enough. Pretty much the stuff I expect. There are new DMVs too. sys.dm_db_wait_stats is my favorite, waits for a database.

I put in a request to ask for this last month, via connect? I love using this DMV in Azure SQL Database.

• Happy National Leave the Office Early Day!!![/url]

So, who's going to celebrate this day today?

😀

• jasona.work (6/2/2016)

Happy National Leave the Office Early Day!!![/url]

😀

I wish, but I've got a social club meeting from 5pm til 6.

I think I'll celebrate it tomorrow.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jasona.work (6/2/2016)

😀

I must admit that it looks like as good a reason as any, but I don't think I'll ever have my long-term list done. Aside from normal work, there's the "nothing urgent, get it done when I have time" stuff that I actually want to do.

• I'll leave the office early, to take a vehicle in for service.

But I have to come back :hehe:

• Ed Wagner (6/2/2016)

jasona.work (6/2/2016)

😀

I must admit that it looks like as good a reason as any, but I don't think I'll ever have my long-term list done. Aside from normal work, there's the "nothing urgent, get it done when I have time" stuff that I actually want to do.

Gail was kind enough to point out to me that this is just permission to leave the office early. It doesn't mean you stop working...

Yeah, she's depressing like that.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• jasona.work (6/2/2016)

😀

I did that yesterday. I now have a hole in my head.

(Left for appointment to remove basal cell carcinoma.)

• jasona.work (6/2/2016)

😀

After leaving the office after 8pm everyday for 2 years, I've been celebrating this everyday for the last year. 😀

Somehow, 4pm seems too early to leave the office.

EDIT: Who stole my second "o" in too?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (6/2/2016)

jasona.work (6/2/2016)

😀

After leaving the office after 8pm everyday for 2 years, I've been celebrating this everyday for the last year. 😀

Somehow, 4pm seems to early to leave the office.

The looks I get for leaving at 4pm, yet they do not know that I walk in at 7am.

• BLOB_EATER (6/2/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/2/2016)

jasona.work (6/2/2016)

😀

This is always a problem for early-starters.

I suggest that you return the favour to those who just about manage to rumble in at 9am.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil Parkin (6/2/2016)

BLOB_EATER (6/2/2016)

Luis Cazares (6/2/2016)

jasona.work (6/2/2016)

😀

This is always a problem for early-starters.

I suggest that you return the favour to those who just about manage to rumble in at 9am.

I'm in the same boat. I've always been one to start early and leave on time.

• Who has the crystal ball? Mine's not working.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1791754-3077-1.aspx

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I read this and suddenly felt millions of DBAs cry out in horror...

(Yes, it's the Daily WTF, scarily it might even be (mostly) true)

Viewing 15 posts - 54,406 through 54,420 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply