Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Paul White (6/6/2009)

BTW on behalf of Cancerians everywhere, what's all this with the crabbin'??? 🙂

BWAA-HAA! It's just me trying to get used to the kinder words so I don't come out with a whole bunch of sailor/IT lingo at a new job coming up. I was told that there's a whole bunch of people at the new job who wouldn't say s--t if they had a mouthful. It's one of those super professional jobs where everyone wears a suit and tie, has enough gew in the hair to lube a Mac truck, and walks around like they're trying to carry a quarter without the use of pockets. On days that I have to go in (working remotely mostly), I have to leave the BSOFH, the Navy, and IT lingo at home.

Since one form of food figures prominently in my innuendo, I figured one more wouldn't hurt. :hehe:

And, lordy, no... I didn't think you were being snarky a bit. You should know me better than that by now. In this limited form of communication, I was just trying to say "Yep, knew you knew that" with a half-fast attempt to say I was just crabbin' 😀 about the lack of documentation on the subject with some huffin'n'puffin' about other folks that keep trying to install the "don't used undocumented features" handrails on my hiney. 😛

I wonder if the folks at the new job like pork chops. ;-):-P:-D

Heh... I should write a post like this just before I have to go into work... helps me get it out of my system.

Anyway, we're all good on this side, Paul... not to worry.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GilaMonster (6/6/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/6/2009)

Gail's BOL link doesn't work for me when I paste it into the help URL field. I'm still using 2k5 if that matters.

It does matter. That link's from the 2k8 BoL. Use the index and look for "Table variables (SQL Server)". Should get you to the right place, though I won't promise it says the same thing.

Cool... on my way to the index. Thanks, Gail.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Yep... found it that way in 2k5, as well, just like Paul said. As Gail pointed out, they still haven't said anything explicit about using a table alias as the target of an UPDATE.

I'm actually kind of happy about that. A lot of the folks that squawk about undocumented features at work and locally here in the Detroit use a table aliases all the time in the Update clause 'cause they think it's "sexy" and (yeach) "kewl". I love it when people hand me pork chops and then open their mouth. 😀 That's when I transfer the handrails, as well. 😛

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (6/5/2009)

Here is another OMG moment.

Classic case of RTFM. :doze: It amazes that people do not know or refer to BOL at all. :blink: I have refer to it all the time, gets bloody monotonous but then maybe I'm just a dumb s**t and should know better :blush:

Hopefully they installed it when they installed the server.

Wow! God relying on hope, where's the charity :rolleyes:

My habit is to use AS on column aliases but to omit it on table aliases. It's just how I code.

Me too and I enclose column aliases in [] for clarity

... throwing them one at a time with a pause to see the effect is more than half the fun

But more time for the deflected rebound to smack you in the face 😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• David Burrows (6/6/2009)

But more time for the deflected rebound to smack you in the face 😛

BWAA-HAA!!! There in lies the secret... you have to learn how to catch them before you start throwing them. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Anyone with more knowledge or information in this area, please hop in and add your 2 cents worth.

• Lynn Pettis (6/6/2009)

Anyone with more knowledge or information in this area, please hop in and add your 2 cents worth.

Gail & Paul got on the Algebrizer before I could.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/7/2009)

Now there's a phrase you won't hear every day. 😀

• Paul White (6/7/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/7/2009)

Now there's a phrase you won't hear every day. 😀

By the way, where is the sign-up list? I would like to get a turn on the Algebrizer before the weekend is over. 😀

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Yeah, but it appears that he at least read it over some. I mean, how often would someone that seems to be complete ignorant about the restore come back about one of the options of the command? Now, you're right in that BOL does plainly state that. But he had to get the idea from somewhere, and I think he got it from reading BOL after you pointed him to it.

My 0.02.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• But if he read the BOL entry for RESTORE FILELISTONLY, why ask the question? :w00t:

• Lynn Pettis (6/7/2009)

But if he read the BOL entry for RESTORE FILELISTONLY, why ask the question? :w00t:

To wind you up? :rolleyes:

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• whats this all about? :blink:

---------------------------------------------------
    The Greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you can't do! 🙂

MS-ACCESS DBA!! :hehe:

• Hey Barry. How about some basic Computer Science theory to start the day?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic730611-8-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 5,446 through 5,460 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply