Are the posted questions getting worse?

• I would love to have input from everyone here on this thread. All your expertise on this thread is appreciated very much... 🙂

Edit : My grammar is going down the drains... 🙁

-Roy

• GilaMonster (6/15/2009)

When I got the invitation to submit a spotlight I just changed one of the existing ones from general to spotlight. Was easier than coming up with a new one. They accepted my one on stats as a spotlight and my one of the indexing DMVs as a general, and then classified the one on the plan cache as an alternate. I'm glad about the last one, I have no idea if I could talk for an hour on the plan cache. Talking for an hour on the four indexing DMVs is going to be difficult enough.

Proving, yet again, as if it was needed, that you're smarter than I am. I wish I'd thought to do that. Instead I came up with a whole new presentation. Actually, it's working out. I needed a more advanced presentation anyway.

But, because my DMV one got selected as an alternate, I've still got to come up with the full presentation there. Joy.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Crap, The Thread passed me this weekend and I didn't even notice. It's officially the 15th highest poster on SSC now.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/15/2009)

But, because my DMV one got selected as an alternate, I've still got to come up with the full presentation there. Joy.

I honestly wouldn't bother, unless you want to use it for UG presentations. The chance of it changing from alternate to accepted is slim. I mean, how many presenters are going to pull out and how many alternates have they selected? At best I'd do an outline.

Couple years back my submission was 'alternate'. Never heard another word from PASS about it.

I'm not even going to do an outline for my 3rd one. If PASS asks me to do it, I'll ask them to find someone else. Two presentations is enough. I want time to enjoy the conference as well.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Paul White (6/14/2009)

Alvin Ramard (6/14/2009)

Paul White (6/14/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/14/2009)

What shall we name it? 😛

Troll Name Generator

I sure won't use that tool for a troll name!!

😎

For those too busy to try it for themselves:

Alvin Ramard = "Tie Me To A Tree & Make Me Squeal Like A Pig Troll"

Jeff might want top steer clear of it too :w00t:

Aye! Roger that! 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• RBarryYoung (6/14/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/14/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/14/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/14/2009)

I've got a spotlight and an alternate in the regular sessions.

"Regular Sessions"? Are you talking about "general" sessions? I've not received anything one way or the other yet. If you know of a site different than the the summit site where this information is contained, I'd sure like to know what it is.

Yeah, sorry, general session. I would have thought you'd receive notice by now.

Jeff: I got mine late on Friday. I know that there are still some sessions up in the air that are supposed to be decided by Monday. So I would say that if you haven't heard one way or another by Monday evening to contact them on Tuesday. I'll send you the contact info that I have if you need it.

Sending the contact info would be a big help, Barry. I'm up to my ears in aligators and anytime someone can save me a little time is much appreciated. Thanks.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster (6/15/2009)

I honestly wouldn't bother, unless you want to use it for UG presentations. The chance of it changing from alternate to accepted is slim. I mean, how many presenters are going to pull out and how many alternates have they selected? At best I'd do an outline.

Couple years back my submission was 'alternate'. Never heard another word from PASS about it.

I'm not even going to do an outline for my 3rd one. If PASS asks me to do it, I'll ask them to find someone else. Two presentations is enough. I want time to enjoy the conference as well.

Oh, I don't expect to do it. I don't want to do it. I just thought I was contractually required to be ready to do it.

• The troll generator gave me good name...Sticky Buns Troll..:hehe:

-Roy

• Roy Ernest (6/15/2009)

The troll generator gave me good name...Sticky Buns Troll..:hehe:

Heh... TMI, Roy. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey (6/15/2009)

ubernoob (6/14/2009)

Sorry for my quoted post above everyone. It was Grant Fritchey that posted under Steve's account and made the false accusations about my e-mail being bogus. Thanks for clearing this up Grant.

I assumed that since the post came from Steve, that he said those things, but it was apparently Grant. My apologies Steve.

That's it?

Sorry I bothered.

Go on about your business citizens. Nothing to see here. Move along.

How about those Red Sox?

>Gus Gwynne wrote:

>Since you seem to have removed all your posts from SQL Server Central, I can't tell what you're upset about, but you >do seem to be upset. What is the problem causing that?

>

>DXMER wrote

> I guess since you don't know it's none of your business.

>

>Gus Gwynne wrote:

> So, with that attitude, I'm going to assume the problem was self-induced and leave it at that.

Making presumptions again I see. Thanks for confirming my postings. For someone that knows nothing about the thread, I'm not sure why you e-mailed me in the first place?

Also, I would just like to make sure that you are an actual employee of SQLServerCentral or RedGate software as I don't understand how you would obtain my personal information. According to the privacy policy SQLServerCentral.com "will not disclose voluntarily provided details to third parties or use the information in any other way without prior consent".

1.4 Disclosures

SQLServerCentral.com will not disclose voluntarily provided details to third parties or use the information in any other way without prior consent. On all pages where personal data is collected, specific details on the use of this information will be provided.

Other than the disclosures referred to in this policy we will not disclose any personal information without your permission unless we are legally obliged or entitled to do so (for example, if required to do so by Court order or for the purposes of fraud or other crime).

We will only disclose your personal information to a third party either as part of a reorganisation or a sale of the assets of our owner Red gate Software, or having ensured that steps have been taken to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.

• As far as I know, he has no idea what your e-mail address is. When you e-mail someone all you see is their User Name, and it is then sent to whichever e-mail address you have stored in SSC.

EDIT: It also seems that whenever anyone is actually trying to rectify the situation you react very immaturely. I'm beginning to think that all twenty of the people that have spoken negatively about you cannot possibly all be wrong.

• Oh please ubernoob or whatever name you have now... Why dont you just leave if you are not interested in learning more from this site. If you dont like answers or the way the answers are given, just leave. You do not have show your attitude. All of the people who responded to your thread have knowledge that is way over your head.

Instead of trying to learn from them, you take your attitude and diss people off.

-Roy

• Under options on your forum account there are email settings. One of them is to allow others to send you email via the board. Might want to look at who sent the email before you start jumping to conclusions cause I bet ya it was SSC that sent the email, not GSquared.

Not sure why you're getting all huffy about it anyway, GSquared calmly asked what the problem was. As to how he "knew" about "the problem", there are posts this thread (and links to those posts) showing that there was an upset. He wasn't being insulting, just asking what the problem was. I'm sure, if you had told him what it was in a calm manner, he would have tried to answer your question as best he could.

Your response to his email was rude, as was the post you put on this thread. If you felt your privacy was compromised, then it is a matter for the site administrators to handle, not the regular posters on the board. You should have sent your complaint to them directly, rather than wasting our time with it.

edited to fix typo (sigh)

-- Kit

• ubernoob (6/15/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/15/2009)

ubernoob (6/14/2009)

Sorry for my quoted post above everyone. It was Grant Fritchey that posted under Steve's account and made the false accusations about my e-mail being bogus. Thanks for clearing this up Grant.

I assumed that since the post came from Steve, that he said those things, but it was apparently Grant. My apologies Steve.

That's it?

Sorry I bothered.

How about those Red Sox?

>Gus Gwynne wrote:

>Since you seem to have removed all your posts from SQL Server Central, I can't tell what you're upset about, but you >do seem to be upset. What is the problem causing that?

>

>DXMER wrote

>

>Gus Gwynne wrote:

> So, with that attitude, I'm going to assume the problem was self-induced and leave it at that.

Making presumptions again I see. Thanks for confirming my postings. For someone that knows nothing about the thread, I'm not sure why you e-mailed me in the first place?

Also, I would just like to make sure that you are an actual employee of SQLServerCentral or RedGate software as I don't understand how you would obtain my personal information. According to the privacy policy SQLServerCentral.com "will not disclose voluntarily provided details to third parties or use the information in any other way without prior consent".

1.4 Disclosures

SQLServerCentral.com will not disclose voluntarily provided details to third parties or use the information in any other way without prior consent. On all pages where personal data is collected, specific details on the use of this information will be provided.

Other than the disclosures referred to in this policy we will not disclose any personal information without your permission unless we are legally obliged or entitled to do so (for example, if required to do so by Court order or for the purposes of fraud or other crime).

We will only disclose your personal information to a third party either as part of a reorganisation or a sale of the assets of our owner Red gate Software, or having ensured that steps have been taken to ensure that your privacy rights continue to be protected.

Okay, so you don't want to communicate about the problem, but you do want to post about it.

No, I'm not an SSC employee. Never said I was. Never implied it. Just thought maybe a private conversation would allow you to give your point of view on the issue without distractions. I've used that technique many, many times to help people resolve issues, here and elsewhere. It's a pretty normal thing for human beings to do - communicate as part of an effort in resolving something.

SSC did not reveal your e-mail to anyone. There's an annonymous link that allows people to send e-mails to members, without them knowing the e-mail addresses. Pretty normal feature for community sites. By replying, you did reveal your e-mail address to me, but that was you revealing it, not SSC.

If you don't understand why your comments, e-mails, et al, are upsetting people, you need to find out. Once you've figured out what you're doing that's upsetting people, you'll have made some progress in this. The first step is you need to understand that YOU are upsetting people who are trying to help you.

Till then, have a good one.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• ubernoob (6/15/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/15/2009)

ubernoob (6/14/2009)

That's it?

Sorry I bothered.

How about those Red Sox?

>Gus Gwynne wrote:

>

>DXMER wrote

>

>Gus Gwynne wrote:

1.4 Disclosures

I was doing good ignoring you, but this requires a response.

I can send you an email without knowing your email address. There is a feature in SSC for doing that.

Your account had been removed, which would prevent people from being able to do so, but YOU chose to return. If you really don't want to be a part of this community, and your action speak volumes in this regard, simply send Steve Jones - Editor a PM asking to have your account deleted and he will do so.

Then, just stay away and we won't bother you. To be honest, we won't even think about you either.

It comes down to what you want, not what we want. You need to make a decision. If you want to be a part of this community, you need to change how you are perceived by the rest of us.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,701 through 5,715 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply