Are the posted questions getting worse?

• SQLBill - Friday, January 27, 2017 3:19 PM

BrainDonor - Friday, January 27, 2017 1:30 AM

Naw, I want this one:

https://www.sunfrog.com/LifeStyle/SQL-SERVER-DATABASE-ADMINISTRATOR-BADASS-Black-Guys.html

-SQLBill

I have this one but instead of DBA it is "Soccer Coach" and doesn't say bad ass. My favorite coaching one though has to be "If at first you don't succeed try doing what you coach told the first time". My second favorite (which can easily be converted to DBA) is "I'm the soccer coach. Let's just save time and assume I am never wrong.". πŸ˜€

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Naw, I want this one:

https://www.sunfrog.com/LifeStyle/SQL-SERVER-DATABASE-ADMINISTRATOR-BADASS-Black-Guys.html

-SQLBill

Make it more useful:

Naw, I want this one:

-SQLBill

Oh yeah!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• BrainDonor - Friday, January 27, 2017 1:30 AM

Got one, now my previous client want's the one that was wearing it πŸ˜€
    😎

• Wow, it's quiet here...

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Ray K - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:41 AM

Wow, it's quiet here...

Clearly the questions being asked have gone up in calibre and so no one needs visit the thread any more. :w00t:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:58 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 11:47 AM

Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 8:18 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:45 AM

My article is expanding and might be a two parter or a three parter, depending on how much code I throw in there.

I've actually figured out (FINALLY) how to read the XML of SSIS packages in MSDB, so I'm kinda excited. New code to add to it!

Brandie, sorry but my short term memory sucks, what is this article again?

I'm writing an article on database dependencies. I posted a few days back asking for beta readers, but no one responded on the Thread.

BTW, if anyone has responded via PM, I never got the PM or the notification.

I'll read it.

I want to thank everyone who has volunteered. I was out at the end of last week and just now finished the two articles (part 1 & 2). I will reach out to people shortly for this.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• BWFC - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:32 AM

I'm going to be a DBA.  

After a lengthy period of a declining volume of BI work (because politics)  and an increasing volume of DBA work (because old infrastructure), the boss of bosses has put to me and my boss that he'd like us to take on the DBA work.  We're both off on courses next month and there's, hopefully, a contract DBA coming in for a while but it means a big change in role and responsibility.  I'm both nervous and excited about this.  Stuff of which I previously had only a passing knowledge will have to be learned in much greater depth and there's things I don't even know I don't know.  We're not being thrown in at the deep end at least.  We already work with the ops guys when database problems do arise so there'll be a handover period with them and if the contract bod ever does get employed we'll be shadowing them pretty closely.  We've also got a dev\sandbox server we can use for practising.

I can't wait.

YAY!

Remember, you are responsible for bringing in the donuts now. Because if you don't bring in the sugar to help you through this job, no one else will. @=)

I wish you the best of luck. I love being a DBA because I get to do so many things that I wouldn't have been able to do if I'd just stuck with server administration or programming.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thom A - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:45 AM

Ray K - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:41 AM

Wow, it's quiet here...

Clearly the questions being asked have gone up in calibre and so no one needs visit the thread any more. :w00t:

Clearly you haven't seen the latest post in SQL Server 2012 - T-SQL.

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:45 PM

BWFC - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:32 AM

I'm going to be a DBA.  

After a lengthy period of a declining volume of BI work (because politics)  and an increasing volume of DBA work (because old infrastructure), the boss of bosses has put to me and my boss that he'd like us to take on the DBA work.  We're both off on courses next month and there's, hopefully, a contract DBA coming in for a while but it means a big change in role and responsibility.  I'm both nervous and excited about this.  Stuff of which I previously had only a passing knowledge will have to be learned in much greater depth and there's things I don't even know I don't know.  We're not being thrown in at the deep end at least.  We already work with the ops guys when database problems do arise so there'll be a handover period with them and if the contract bod ever does get employed we'll be shadowing them pretty closely.  We've also got a dev\sandbox server we can use for practising.

I can't wait.

YAY!

Remember, you are responsible for bringing in the donuts now. Because if you don't bring in the sugar to help you through this job, no one else will. @=)

I wish you the best of luck. I love being a DBA because I get to do so many things that I wouldn't have been able to do if I'd just stuck with server administration or programming.

We've actually got a table in the office especially for cake so we never let the sugar levels drop too far πŸ™‚

I'm now booked on a course in Leeds next week.  Actually the same course that in the past I've been told they wouldn't pay for because I didn't need but I digress... I've spent the last couple of weeks reading and practising on the Dev box with no major disasters so far.  It'll be interesting to see what the future brings now.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:13 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:45 PM

I'm going to be a DBA.  

I can't wait.

YAY!

I'm now booked on a course in Leeds next week.

Would you like to meet for lunch (or beers after work)?

John

• BWFC - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:13 AM

I'm going to be a DBA.  

I can't wait.

YAY!

We've actually got a table in the office especially for cake so we never let the sugar levels drop too far πŸ™‚

I'm now booked on a course in Leeds next week.  Actually the same course that in the past I've been told they wouldn't pay for because I didn't need but I digress... I've spent the last couple of weeks reading and practising on the Dev box with no major disasters so far.  It'll be interesting to see what the future brings now.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that bit I bolded is NOT a good thing. You need to break the Dev box. Seriously. Hammer that sucker until you have to rebuild either the instance or the databases. Bring on a major disaster because you need the experience on fixing the major disaster.

I'm not kidding here. This is the most valuable experience a DBA can have, especially when they are starting out. Once you get it under your belt, you can move forward without worries because you KNOW without doubt you can fix the major disasters.

EDIT: Of course, you might want to warn your boss and coworkers that's what you're doing before you do it. Just so they don't panic when the Dev box goes down. @=)

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:36 AM

BWFC - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:13 AM

I'm going to be a DBA.  

I can't wait.

YAY!

Don't take this the wrong way, but that bit I bolded is NOT a good thing. You need to break the Dev box. Seriously. Hammer that sucker until you have to rebuild either the instance or the databases. Bring on a major disaster because you need the experience on fixing the major disaster.

I'm not kidding here. This is the most valuable experience a DBA can have, especially when they are starting out. Once you get it under your belt, you can move forward without worries because you KNOW without doubt you can fix the major disasters.

EDIT: Of course, you might want to warn your boss and coworkers that's what you're doing before you do it. Just so they don't panic when the Dev box goes down. @=)

I guess people would prefer if you break a box that it's not used by a whole team.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:36 AM

BWFC - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:13 AM

I'm going to be a DBA.  

I can't wait.

YAY!

While this isn't entirely bad advice, I might lean towards getting the OK to stand up your own "practice" box, whether it be a virtual machine or a physical machine.  Something that if you break it, it doesn't stop others from working.  Maybe, if given the OK, put copies of your database(s) on it so you've got "real" data to work with.

Then, break it, and break it hard.
    Practice taking backups and restoring them.
    Use an editor to manually edit a database file to corrupt it, then try to fix it.
    Break the permissions on the various directories used by SQL Server to learn how to figure out that's what happened (SQL error logs, Windows event logs are your first stops)
    But as Brandie said, *BREAK* that box.

Just not the one that will cause people to come after you with pitchforks and torches...

• Just not the one that will cause people to come after you with pitchforks and torches...

Picky, picky, picky.

:hehe:

Viewing 15 posts - 57,286 through 57,300 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply