Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Is it me or has there been more people using screen shots instead of actual text?

Another site I visit is really bad with it, but I notice it here also.

Personally I have trouble reading the pictures as I never remember how to magnify and do not want to spend a lot of time on a single post that may not be of interest.

• djj - Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:18 AM

Is it me or has there been more people using screen shots instead of actual text?

Personally I have trouble reading the pictures as I never remember how to magnify and do not want to spend a lot of time on a single post that may not be of interest.

The new forums are having a bit of trouble with the pictures and magnification at the moment. Or at least I don't think it's been fixed yet Supposedly you can just click on the picture and it magnifies, but some of us found it wasn't working.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Koen Verbeeck - Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:54 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, February 2, 2017 6:44 AM

YAY, Koen!

The drinks are on you now, right?

Sure. At the table counter in  the tent in the dessert.
    I'm not drinking any alcohol this month btw, so it's only water πŸ˜‰
    More info: http://sqlkover.com/tourneeminerale2017/

Well done, Koen.  Congratulations!

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:21 AM

djj - Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:18 AM

Is it me or has there been more people using screen shots instead of actual text?

The new forums are having a bit of trouble with the pictures and magnification at the moment. Or at least I don't think it's been fixed yet Supposedly you can just click on the picture and it magnifies, but some of us found it wasn't working.

Even if the pictures don't work, people should not be posting pictures of text instead of the text itself.  That's a real pet peeve of mine.  If people want help on a particular problem, there's no reason to make it difficult for people who want to help.  I get this in work email occasionally and my reaction is to send it back for actual text instead of pictures.  Sorry if I went off on a rant.

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:28 AM

Even if the pictures don't work, people should not be posting pictures of text instead of the text itself.  That's a real pet peeve of mine.  If people want help on a particular problem, there's no reason to make it difficult for people who want to help.  I get this in work email occasionally and my reaction is to send it back for actual text instead of pictures.  Sorry if I went off on a rant.

I know you're the only one that gets annoyed by it. When you get an image of "sample" data that has about 20 rows and 12 columns, the last thing I'm going to do is type that all out in SQL.

Also, congrats Koen!

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:28 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:21 AM

I know I just love getting screen caps of a few lines of green screen cobol with a here's the business logic for that question you asked me about.  Someday I'll be in an exceptionally bad mood and send a random screen shot from somewhere in my ETL and say here's how your data's getting processed you figure it out.

• Koen Verbeeck - Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:03 PM

Happy, delighted, humbled and overall gleeful to announce that I'm awarded the Microsoft Data Platform MVP award.
    Yes, it's not January, April, July or October. Microsoft has changed the cycle for new MVP awardees to a monthly basis.
    Renewal is now once a year at July.

Brilliant mate, keep up the good stuff!
    😎

• ZZartin - Thursday, February 2, 2017 9:07 AM

Ed Wagner - Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:28 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:21 AM

I know I just love getting screen caps of a few lines of green screen cobol with a here's the business logic for that question you asked me about.  Someday I'll be in an exceptionally bad mood and send a random screen shot from somewhere in my ETL and say here's how your data's getting processed you figure it out.

I think the most frustrating is when people post pics of their query plans when asking about performance problems.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Well half the company got notice of layoff yesterday, including yours truly. 
    I am to old for this! 
    So what job sites do people use these days?

• Oh no! How much notice did you get, and where are you based?

• Last day Feb 17.  Do not know about severance package yet.

I am in central Ohio, and unfortunately would like to stay there (family).

• djj - Friday, February 3, 2017 5:04 AM

Last day Feb 17.  Do not know about severance package yet.

Best of luck. I've been in a similar position, as I'm sure have many others here. For me, it ended up being an unexpected opportunity to emigrate and broaden my horizons. Hope that severance package is large enough to give you the time to move on in style.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• djj - Friday, February 3, 2017 4:45 AM

Well half the company got notice of layoff yesterday, including yours truly. 
    I am to old for this! 

Sorry about that.

Dice.com is a good website. Also, you might want to check Allstate's website. The company is letting a lot of our computer people work from home with occasional travel to the head office (which is Chicago). So it wouldn't hurt for you to take a look.

EDIT: For those of you in Europe, we have a Belfast office too. And a Toronto office in Canada and I don't know where our India office is. Point is, depending on where a person is located and what job she gets, she might report closer to home than Chicago if she's working for Allstate.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• djj - Friday, February 3, 2017 4:45 AM

Well half the company got notice of layoff yesterday, including yours truly. 
    I am to old for this! 

I'm sorry. That's a crap load to take on board right after major surgery.
    Your age is just a number! Sod that. Remember what Jeff and others have said about attempting to recruit staff - you're lucky if any of the candidates can offer a means of getting the current date and time.
    Get in there, and good luck.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• djj - Friday, February 3, 2017 5:04 AM

Last day Feb 17.  Do not know about severance package yet.

Sorry to hear about the bad news.  I've faced it once myself and it wasn't fun.

Central Ohio...Are you close to Columbus?  They've had SQL Saturday events in the past.  Do you attend the PASS chapter meetings?  Check out their site at http://columbus.sqlpass.org/ and take a look at the topic of the meeting on 2/9/2017.  πŸ˜€ 

At normal chapter meetings here in Metro Detroit, companies sometimes make announcements that they're looking for people and recruiters frequently sponsor the meetings.  They view it as a target-rich environment for them.  The next Columbus meeting looks target-rich for you as well.

I really hope this helps.

Viewing 15 posts - 57,331 through 57,345 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply