Are the posted questions getting worse?

• djj - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:02 PM

Well I have been out of a job for a few weeks now, and I must say reading this thread does not show recruiters in a good light.  I have talked to several recruiters but have only had one interview with a real company.  

With my resume being parsed by the job sites, I see jobs as a server at local restaurants (my resume say SQL Server), full blown .NET developer (my resume say I have worked with VB.NET), and other jobs I would not know where to start to do.  Also I try to indicate everywhere that I want to stay in central Ohio.  But still get questions about AZ, PA, MI...

By-the-way I have seen several jobs listing ITIL.  I had not heard of this until now.  Is this something I should invest time to learn?  

Trying not to be too depressed over the hole thing.  🙂

It's not a bad idea to know the general path behind ITIL. Few places fully implement it, so memorizing it all is a waste of time. However, reading through the core requirements and processes is a good idea.

Remember, don't rely on recruiters and job web sites. Work your contacts. Go to your local user groups, dev & dba, to see what's there. I know more people getting jobs that way than the old way.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:56 AM

djj - Wednesday, March 8, 2017 1:02 PM

Well I have been out of a job for a few weeks now, and I must say reading this thread does not show recruiters in a good light.  I have talked to several recruiters but have only had one interview with a real company.  

With my resume being parsed by the job sites, I see jobs as a server at local restaurants (my resume say SQL Server), full blown .NET developer (my resume say I have worked with VB.NET), and other jobs I would not know where to start to do.  Also I try to indicate everywhere that I want to stay in central Ohio.  But still get questions about AZ, PA, MI...

By-the-way I have seen several jobs listing ITIL.  I had not heard of this until now.  Is this something I should invest time to learn?  

Trying not to be too depressed over the hole thing.  🙂

It's not a bad idea to know the general path behind ITIL. Few places fully implement it, so memorizing it all is a waste of time. However, reading through the core requirements and processes is a good idea.

Remember, don't rely on recruiters and job web sites. Work your contacts. Go to your local user groups, dev & dba, to see what's there. I know more people getting jobs that way than the old way.

ITIL is pretty much the norm over in the UK for Government organisations. Worked for a local authority a few years ago and it was a big thing there. I've seen it at one other company so far. 

Funny enough, my new contract is the first one in a few years that is via a recruitment agency. The last three were all direct via contacts in the SQL community! Its a bit odd working with an agency again. And yes I had some "fun" with agencies in looking for a new contract.

Rodders...

• Thank you everyone for your insights and comments.  I would list you but I might miss someone. 😀

I do try and let everyone know my strengths and weaknesses as I believe if I am honest I will not have to remember the lie. 🙂

Anyway I am headed to the user group meeting tonight.  This will be my second month in a row and I intend on continuing.  Now if I can start to network it would help.

Guess I will look into the free training for ITIL for an overview and start learning more SSRS/SSIS.

Thanks again!

• Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:43 AM

Ed Wagner - Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:22 AM

Even the outage map for DTE (the power company) was out.

Hrmmm. Are you sure the Amazon Cloud Services tech doesn't suddenly work for DTE now?

I mean, your comment sounds awfully familiar to a news story I read in the past week or so... @=)

Maybe DTE relies on a cloud-based service.  Or maybe the internet service of their ISP was down. 😉  My internet service at home is down. :crazy:

Then again, I'm just thankful that the large tree that came down in my neighbor's yard didn't hit any houses.  It came about as close as it could without doing any damage, but no major impact on any buildings.

• Hugo Kornelis - Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:44 AM

Neil Burton - Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:21 AM

Do you know when you've explained to a user at least twice that unless they fix their data and pay for the changes necessary to map two entities directly, the problem will happen again and again, and they do nothing about it for months and then ring up screaming because the problem's happened again; that.

All.
    The.
    Time.

It's not their problem, it is yours. 😀

And yes, all the TIME!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR - Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:31 AM

Hugo Kornelis - Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:44 AM

Neil Burton - Thursday, March 9, 2017 1:21 AM

Do you know when you've explained to a user at least twice that unless they fix their data and pay for the changes necessary to map two entities directly, the problem will happen again and again, and they do nothing about it for months and then ring up screaming because the problem's happened again; that.

All.
    The.
    Time.

It's not their problem, it is yours. 😀

And yes, all the TIME!

Reminds me of a quote one of my old bosses had in his office.
    "Poor planning on your part doesn't DOES constitute an emergency on my part... SO PLAN BETTER!"

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I could use some help with Availability Groups if anyone has time to take a peek.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I'll be extremely happy the day that JC admits he's wrong in a forum post. Every time he's proven wrong, he just avoids the subject and posts more unrelated nonsense. If he simply admitted his mistakes (blaming his eyes doesn't count) I would, at least, have some respect for his internet persona.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Monday, March 13, 2017 4:17 PM

I'll be extremely happy the day that JC admits he's wrong in a forum post. Every time he's proven wrong, he just avoids the subject and posts more unrelated nonsense. If he simply admitted his mistakes (blaming his eyes doesn't count) I would, at least, have some respect for his internet persona.

Doubt that would happen.  I called him out a few years ago when the code he posted failed to run in SSMS.  Nary a peep from him regarding the unusable code he posted.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 13, 2017 4:33 PM

Luis Cazares - Monday, March 13, 2017 4:17 PM

I'll be extremely happy the day that JC admits he's wrong in a forum post. Every time he's proven wrong, he just avoids the subject and posts more unrelated nonsense. If he simply admitted his mistakes (blaming his eyes doesn't count) I would, at least, have some respect for his internet persona.

Doubt that would happen.  I called him out a few years ago when the code he posted failed to run in SSMS.  Nary a peep from him regarding the unusable code he posted.

That will not happen. Ever.
    About 10 years ago, before Usenet started to disappear into irrelevance, I often clashed with him on the sqlserver newsgroups. When I responded I always made sure to double check my facts, and to make sure all my comments were completely accurate. I soon noticed a pattern, where he would respond to other people in the thread (who I agreed with but who were less accurate in their wording) while ignoring my words. I first thought he needed more time to think about his response to me, but soon realized that he is simply too childish to admit defeat.
    After that I stopped putting in the effort to respond to him. I did not care about winning or losing (I'll admit that the first silent treatment did taste like victory; after that it just left me with a bitter taste in my mouth). I cared about informing and educating the community (and, perhaps, Joe) by pointing out the things where Joe had a point and the things where he completely missed it. An acknowledging response from him would have helped, but I knew that would never happen. Joe did (and apparently still does) not care a single flying hoot on educating the community, he only cares about growing his own ego. Publicly opening the door to the idea that in theory The Great Celko (TM) couild in theory also be wrong does not fit in how he sees himself.

Ignore him. Theres nothing you can do to prevent him from posting his copy/paste messages in every place where they appear to mildly fit, there's nothing you can do to stop him from belittling people, and there's nothing you can do to educate him on either databases or social interaction. And, sadly, there is nothing you can do to prevent people from taking his ill-headed advice.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis - Monday, March 13, 2017 6:27 PM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, March 13, 2017 4:33 PM

Luis Cazares - Monday, March 13, 2017 4:17 PM

That will not happen. Ever.
    About 10 years ago, before Usenet started to disappear into irrelevance, I often clashed with him on the sqlserver newsgroups. When I responded I always made sure to double check my facts, and to make sure all my comments were completely accurate. I soon noticed a pattern, where he would respond to other people in the thread (who I agreed with but who were less accurate in their wording) while ignoring my words. I first thought he needed more time to think about his response to me, but soon realized that he is simply too childish to admit defeat.
    After that I stopped putting in the effort to respond to him. I did not care about winning or losing (I'll admit that the first silent treatment did taste like victory; after that it just left me with a bitter taste in my mouth). I cared about informing and educating the community (and, perhaps, Joe) by pointing out the things where Joe had a point and the things where he completely missed it. An acknowledging response from him would have helped, but I knew that would never happen. Joe did (and apparently still does) not care a single flying hoot on educating the community, he only cares about growing his own ego. Publicly opening the door to the idea that in theory The Great Celko (TM) couild in theory also be wrong does not fit in how he sees himself.

Ignore him. Theres nothing you can do to prevent him from posting his copy/paste messages in every place where they appear to mildly fit, there's nothing you can do to stop him from belittling people, and there's nothing you can do to educate him on either databases or social interaction. And, sadly, there is nothing you can do to prevent people from taking his ill-headed advice.

I think I would have to agree.  I am seeing a general dislike of him on this forum and on other websites as well.  I tried to question him on some stuff and was promptly ignored.  Plus what feels like his advertising that he wrote books and helped on the ANSI/ISO standard that I realized is in every one of his posts (and I expect is actually his signature) instead of trying to help the OP's.
    That being said, he does sometimes have good information, but I do agree that it would be nice if he would follow up.  With some end users it would be nice if they followed up as well.  I know I have been bad for that in the past, but as I have been improving in this community and starting to get my name more known (hopefully), I am hoping that I will do a better job following up with people and getting to know everybody.

Speaking of which... I think it may be time for me to finally upload an avatar.  I just need to find a good picture of me to put on there.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I applied for a job yesterday, and they sent me a SQL test to take.  I thought all of the questions were poorly worded, but one in particular was very badly worded.  It also used a data type that is invalid in SQL Server (unless they've introduced it in 2016)  INT(2).  In my answer, I included my thoughts about how poorly worded it was.  I wonder if will help or hurt me getting the job.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:15 AM

I applied for a job yesterday, and they sent me a SQL test to take.  I thought all of the questions were poorly worded, but one in particular was very badly worded.  It also used a data type that is invalid in SQL Server (unless they've introduced it in 2016)  INT(2).  In my answer, I included my thoughts about how poorly worded it was.  I wonder if will help or hurt me getting the job.

Drew

That's used in MySQL as far as I know. Maybe some other RDMS as well.
    I wonder if they got the job spec wrong, or can't use Google to know the differences between different databases!

Rodders...

I applied for a job yesterday, and they sent me a SQL test to take.  I thought all of the questions were poorly worded, but one in particular was very badly worded.  It also used a data type that is invalid in SQL Server (unless they've introduced it in 2016)  INT(2).  In my answer, I included my thoughts about how poorly worded it was.  I wonder if will help or hurt me getting the job.

Drew

Depends on how carefully you worded the response and even more on the mentality, knowledge & mood of the person reading it. But you have maintained your integrity. I'd hire you & fire the question-setter.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Drew

Yikes... that is a strange data type.  I can't even think what that would be.  A 2 byte INT?  an INT with a default value of 2?  An array with 2 INTs in it?  None of those really make sense though.
    I hope you get the job and that the comments helped.  I know if I was doing the hiring and somebody put a comment of "INT(2) is not a valid data type in SQL Server", I'd be questioning the person who wrote the original question.
    A quick google of it though makes it sound like it is a MySQL data type, not a SQL Server data type.  Were they hiring a SQL Server DBA or a MySQL DBA?
    I wonder if the test would make more sense knowing they were looking for a MySQL DBA?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 15 posts - 57,691 through 57,705 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply