Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:12 AM

Concerning that someone who has probably created at least 100 topics on this forum is now asking what ISNULL, MAX and CAST "means".

Thom, I urgently need your help with something. Can you explain what SELECT is and why I need it?

:Whistling:

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:12 AM

Concerning that someone who has probably created at least 100 topics on this forum is now asking what ISNULL, MAX and CAST "means".

Not when you go and look at some of those 100 topics.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:27 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:12 AM

True, but after 100 topics, "one" would hope that they have learned.

Too optimistic? 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:31 AM

Too optimistic? 🙂

Yes.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:26 AM

Thom, I urgently need your help with something. Can you explain what SELECT is and why I need it?

Um, is it bad if I ran this in production a week ago:
    UPDATE ANNUALSALARY SET SALARY = 'POTATO';

The bosses were saying something today about there being problems with this weeks payroll and we might not get paid...
    Does what I did have anything to do with it?
    :crazy::hehe:

• jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:45 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:26 AM

The bosses were saying something today about there being problems with this weeks payroll and we might not get paid...

I think the fact that it didn't error is the biggest problem. WHOOP!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:51 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:45 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:26 AM

I think the fact that it didn't error is the biggest problem. WHOOP!

How the heck did you get into our database, Jason?

Grant, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why it didn't error. I needed to update some salaries to "BAZILLION" and the money datatypes don't go that high.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:45 AM

OH don't get me started on that. Someone was asked to update the name of someone last week, as it had been entered incorrectly. The SQL?
    UPDATE misys_users
    SET surname = 'Lapine';

Yeah... That took that software off line for good 30 minutes. We were scrambling to work out why no one could login, and they finally piped up 20 minutes later to tell us they may have "made a mistake"... To add insult to injury, Lapine was also not the correct spelling. :pinch:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:26 AM

Apparently, we have to blame SQL Prompt for this :hehe::hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:56 AM

jasona.work - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:45 AM

OH don't get me started on that. Someone was asked to update the name of someone last week, as it had been entered incorrectly. The SQL?
    UPDATE misys_users
    SET surname = 'Lapine';

Yeah... That took that software off line for good 30 minutes. We were scrambling to work out why no one could login, and they finally piped up 20 minutes later to tell us they may have "made a mistake"... To add insult to injury, Lapine was also not the correct spelling. :pinch:

HAHA!!! This reminds me of very first job as a dev. I had to update the employee table to change somebody's name. I ran a very similar update statement without a where clause that was supposed to disable one users account but instead disabled the whole table. To pour salt on the wound they had a trigger on that table that checked to see if the account was disabled and if so, it used some sp_OACreate stuff (sql 7) and disable their AD account. I managed to disable the entire company's AD accounts. Close to 5,000 employees nation wide. It was a bit of a nightmare to say the least that took almost two days for the whole IT staff to unravel.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:10 AM

HAHA!!! This reminds me of very first job as a dev. I had to update the employee table to change somebody's name. I ran a very similar update statement without a where clause that was supposed to disable one users account but instead disabled the whole table. To pour salt on the wound they had a trigger on that table that checked to see if the account was disabled and if so, it used some sp_OACreate stuff (sql 7) and disable their AD account. I managed to disable the entire company's AD accounts. Close to 5,000 employees nation wide. It was a bit of a nightmare to say the least that took almost two days for the whole IT staff to unravel.

That's sounds like a barrel of laughs :hehe: It does, however, make me wonder why Dev was linked to the live AD 😛 Lessons learned from your mistakes I suppose 🙂

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:31 AM

GilaMonster - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:27 AM

Too optimistic? 🙂

Is this the multi-personality SS?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:28 AM

Thom A - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 8:31 AM

Too optimistic? 🙂

No, he's way higher than 100 posts.

Gail Shaw

• SQLRNNR - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:28 AM

Too optimistic? 🙂

As Thomas Rushton so eloquently put it, that's the Canine from Cymru.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• GilaMonster - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:31 AM

SQLRNNR - Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:28 AM

Too optimistic? 🙂

No, he's way higher than 100 posts.

I figured it was 100 unique topics and about 100 posts in each topic.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 57,931 through 57,945 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply