Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden (6/17/2009)

...All they really need to do is make SUM() OVER work according to ANSI standards (or so I've heard). Of course, that particular documented feature change will break the hell out of a lot of folks code when they do. 😛 Not likely they'll wait for a couple of cycles and a deprecation notice for that one, either.

Actually, I think that MS may be OK on that. I just checked the (draft) standard and it looks like the ORDER BY is optional for the old aggregates, though I have not found a clear definition of what it should mean. My guess is that MS would implment it to act like today's if there is PARTITON BY but no ORDER BY, and otherwise do the running totals.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Tom Brown (6/17/2009)

Time for a nice Merlot.

[font="Verdana"]I like my merlots, I admit. But I have been more keen on syrahs (shiraz for you aussies) of late.[/font]

• RBarryYoung (6/17/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/17/2009)

...All they really need to do is make SUM() OVER work according to ANSI standards (or so I've heard). Of course, that particular documented feature change will break the hell out of a lot of folks code when they do. 😛 Not likely they'll wait for a couple of cycles and a deprecation notice for that one, either.

Actually, I think that MS may be OK on that. I just checked the (draft) standard and it looks like the ORDER BY is optional for the old aggregates, though I have not found a clear definition of what it should mean. My guess is that MS would implment it to act like today's if there is PARTITON BY but no ORDER BY, and otherwise do the running totals.

I believe it's the change in the way that PARTITION BY works that would break a lot of code.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (6/17/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/17/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/17/2009)

I believe it's the change in the way that PARTITION BY works that would break a lot of code.

Thing is, I can't find anywhere that SUM's behavior with PARTITION BY is defined unless ORDER BY is also defined. Since right now SUM con only be used with PARTITON BY and no ORDER BY, there should be no conflict. Unless I've missed something...?

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• This is getting way tooooo serious 🙂

The THREAD's gonna get ya 😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Bruce W Cassidy (6/17/2009)

Tom Brown (6/17/2009)

Time for a nice Merlot.

[font="Verdana"]I like my merlots, I admit. But I have been more keen on syrahs (shiraz for you aussies) of late.[/font]

I can thoroughly recommend Wilga Tree shiraz - (I think it was 2007) , I bought one on impulse - it was excellent! The local wine shop has now sold out. I'd never seen the brand before or since.

• Tom Brown (6/18/2009)

Bruce W Cassidy (6/17/2009)

Tom Brown (6/17/2009)

Time for a nice Merlot.

I can thoroughly recommend Wilga Tree shiraz - (I think it was 2007) , I bought one on impulse - it was excellent! The local wine shop has now sold out. I'd never seen the brand before or since.

Heh.. Mainstreamers! 😛

You may never heard Lugana but it's definitely the best wine I know. 😉

• Spoiled grapes, blech! Whiskey for me, thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Jeff Moden (6/17/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/17/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/17/2009)

What are the details of that required change?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Scotch... and beer. Or beer... and scotch.

Single malt (Highland or Orkney) followed by a good ESB... ah, makes life worth living.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I had a short stint working for the marketing manager of a hospitality retailer. He often got free samples of the various offerings of breweries, wine merchants, cider makers etc, which were shared with his staff. Free beer at work - O happy days. 😀

Pity I couldn't cycle to that job.

• Tom Brown (6/18/2009)

I had a short stint working for the marketing manager of a hospitality retailer. He often got free samples of the various offerings of breweries, wine merchants, cider makers etc, which were shared with his staff. Free beer at work - O happy days. 😀

reminding me of college, there was a band named 'Free Beer' that was very popular, for some reason . . .

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Working my way though college (and later) as a bartender/waiter, got to try lots of things I might not otherwise have done so.

Now I like to relax with a nice glass of Sambuca or B&B on occasion.

• jcrawf02 (6/18/2009)

Tom Brown (6/18/2009)

I had a short stint working for the marketing manager of a hospitality retailer. He often got free samples of the various offerings of breweries, wine merchants, cider makers etc, which were shared with his staff. Free beer at work - O happy days. 😀

reminding me of college, there was a band named 'Free Beer' that was very popular, for some reason . . .

This is pretty genius. Talk about causing some problems for the bar trying to book them. I can see it now, in big bold letters "TONIGHT: FREE BEER"

• David Burrows (6/18/2009)

This is getting way tooooo serious 🙂

The THREAD's gonna get ya 😛

Pfftttt! That's they told me about Jabba the Hut too.

😀

[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 5,821 through 5,835 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply