Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Getting back to the original question that started "The Thread"...

No need to pile on but the following link is what this world has come to and why so many managers just want to puke when they hear the term "DBA" and why the term has been devalued so very much.
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1873561/Table-Changes

Why, on this good Green earth, would anyone turn on a feature such as "Change Tracking" and not realize that they're going to have to eventually be able to pull out what changed and then not even try a Google?  That's a rhetorical question because I do know all of the stupid reasons why people do such things.

And, sorry for the rant but between the interviews I've conducted over the last decade, those I'm conducting now, and the gall of the people that have gotten high paying jobs by faking and posing not to mention having a sense of entitlement, I had to get it off my chest before I declare martial law and the free use of high velocity pork chops.

The good part is that I'm yet again able to say, "Yes, much worse" to the original question of "Are the posted questions getting worse"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Monday, May 1, 2017 2:10 PM

Getting back to the original question that started "The Thread"...

No need to pile on but the following link is what this world has come to and why so many managers just want to puke when they hear the term "DBA" and why the term has been devalued so very much.
    https://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1873561/Table-Changes

Why, on this good Green earth, would anyone turn on a feature such as "Change Tracking" and not realize that they're going to have to eventually be able to pull out what changed and then not even try a Google?  That's a rhetorical question because I do know all of the stupid reasons why people do such things.

And, sorry for the rant but between the interviews I've conducted over the last decade, those I'm conducting now, and the gall of the people that have gotten high paying jobs by faking and posing not to mention having a sense of entitlement, I had to get it off my chest before I declare martial law and the free use of high velocity pork chops.

The good part is that I'm yet again able to say, "Yes, much worse" to the original question of "Are the posted questions getting worse"?

And it is individuals like this that keep contractors that know what they are doing in business cleaning up other peoples messes.  Too bad I am not in that business, but I don't have a years salary in the bank to support that kind of business.  Plus I still need to provide Health/Dental/Vision insurance for myself and and two of my girls.  The fact I pay nothing for this where I work is a good reason to stay in an FTE position.

• Some day, Jeff, we need to setup a Skype "interview" and see just how well I'd do in an interview with you.

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, May 1, 2017 3:28 PM

Some day, Jeff, we need to setup a Skype "interview" and see just how well I'd do in an interview with you.

It would be futile.  You're smarter than I am and you're a whole lot smarter about SQL Server than the people I've been interviewing..  😉

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, May 1, 2017 4:10 PM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, May 1, 2017 3:28 PM

Some day, Jeff, we need to setup a Skype "interview" and see just how well I'd do in an interview with you.

It would be futile.  You're smarter than I am and you're a whole lot smarter about SQL Server than the people I've been interviewing..  😉

You know, that's not a bad idea, though. For those of us looking for jobs, we could (with the "interviewer's" permission) set up mock interviews with each other to refresh our skills and see what it is we might be missing, etc. So why not?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:30 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, May 1, 2017 4:10 PM

You know, that's not a bad idea, though. For those of us looking for jobs, we could (with the "interviewer's" permission) set up mock interviews with each other to refresh our skills and see what it is we might be missing, etc. So why not?

Ooo!
    I want to be interviewed by Gail, just so I can feel completely inadequate!
    :Whistling:
    Jeff I think I could snooker...
    :hehe:

• jasona.work - Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:31 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Tuesday, May 2, 2017 4:30 AM

Ooo!
    I want to be interviewed by Gail, just so I can feel completely inadequate!
    :Whistling:
    Jeff I think I could snooker...
    :hehe:

I'm sure that I can make Jeff feel completely inadequate. I'll just start asking questions about SSIS and explain him that bcp is not an option because we won't allow xp_cmdshell. 😀
    But I guess that's not the point. :hehe:

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Jeff Moden - Monday, May 1, 2017 4:10 PM

:blush: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but then why do I feel inferior after reading many of your articles?  Of course that could be due to my not having to use the techniques you have written about, hierarchies and nested sets for example.  Although I have written code to reflect the hierarchies of our lookup values.

• UPDATE Brandie
    SET Status = 'EXISTENTIAL SCREAM'
    WHERE Status = 'Mildly alarmed'

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/05/when-it-comes-to-password-security-greyhound-com-is-truly-awful/

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lynn Pettis - Tuesday, May 2, 2017 9:21 AM

:blush: Thanks for the vote of confidence, but then why do I feel inferior after reading many of your articles?  Of course that could be due to my not having to use the techniques you have written about, hierarchies and nested sets for example.  Although I have written code to reflect the hierarchies of our lookup values.

That's "just" T-SQL.

Do you know how to stand up a VM?  Can you do more that make a simple SSIS package like one that will cycle through files and do parallel imports based on the file names and or directory names?  Do you know how to setup a matrix driven report in SSRS and color every other line as if it were "green bar" paper.  Have you ever successfully setup a data warehouse for SSAS?  Do you know how to use Service Broker?  Can you setup log shipping or transactional replication?  Can you shred simple XML without having to lookup how to do it?  Do you think that "BI" is something other than an oxymoron? 😉

I don't even know how to get into the IDE for most of those (mostly because I've not needed to), haven't done some of those in nearly two decades, and won't do some of those even if you hold a gun against my head.  Don't get me wrong.  I've made a pretty good living at making some of those things unnecessary for the kind of work I've had to do (ETL is a prime example there) but there's a lot that I'd have to study to use any of the things I mentioned and more. 

Every one has their specialties and their generalities.  Mine don't include any of the things I've included above.  If yours do (and I'm pretty sure they do), then you're a whole lot smarter than me (unless you consider avoiding those things as "smart" and then I might be the king of the hill 😉 )

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:21 PM

Do you know how to stand up a VM?  Can you do more that make a simple SSIS package like one that will cycle through files and do parallel imports based on the file names and or directory names?  Do you know how to setup a matrix driven report in SSRS and color every other line as if it were "green bar" paper.  Have you ever successfully setup a data warehouse for SSAS?  Do you know how to use Service Broker?  Can you setup log shipping or transactional replication?  Can you shred simple XML without having to lookup how to do it?  Do you think that "BI" is something other than an oxymoron? 😉

1. Only on my PC
    2. Yes done it before
    3. Yes and yes
    4. Yes
    5. No
    6. Last touched replication back on SQL2000 and only with a barge pole
    7. Barely, sometimes yes and sometimes no.
    8. Not intelligent enough to know 😉

Now if only I could get a handle on that T-SQL thingy :blink:

(unless you consider avoiding those things as "smart" and then I might be the king of the hill)

Be careful of that hill, that high, it is a long way down when you fall 😛

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Someone must have the data to sensibly answer this question! At the very least it could be done by analysing the number of likes per post across time.
    Surely someone could take a sample of questions from across time and set up a reliable means of rating the qualities that users feel makes them good or bad.
    Maybe some ratings scales or yes/no questions. e.g.
    Was the question clear and concise?
    Was a clear example given?
    Was sample data given?
    Was a sample script given?
    Was additional information required?
    etc...
    Maybe make the data and results could be made available to the forum users?
    Perhaps add a ratings scale to each question so that you can start collecting this information and moderating questions more effectively?
    Perhaps report a question for being unclear, duplicate, missing sample scripts and data etc.

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:21 PM

RE: the VM. I've done the SQL install portion of one, but never the OS and actual VM itself. I fairly confident in my ability to learn how to do a VM quickly, though. If only because after listening to people here and the SO, I know where to go to find the instructions.

SSIS? Easy peasy. Done that before. But I wouldn't call the package simple, unless all the files have exactly the same formats and data types. I've done the SSRS stuff before, though it's been years since I touched it (we now have a reporting team to do that stuff), so I'd have to refresh my memory before doing it again. The color coding thing is easy. Just an expression to check odd vs even numbered rows ISTR.

SSAS I've only done in class room practice. Never for the job. Service Broker, never touched. I've done Replication, but it's been awhile so would have to refresh my memory. XML? Yikes. I have to look that up every time I use it.

And yes, BI is an ox and a moron. But quit calling it names. @=)

• allinadazework - Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:47 AM

Someone must have the data to sensibly answer this question! At the very least it could be done by analysing the number of likes per post across time.
    Surely someone could take a sample of questions from across time and set up a reliable means of rating the qualities that users feel makes them good or bad.
    Maybe some ratings scales or yes/no questions. e.g.
    Was the question clear and concise?
    Was a clear example given?
    Was sample data given?
    Was a sample script given?
    Was additional information required?
    etc...
    Maybe make the data and results could be made available to the forum users?
    Perhaps add a ratings scale to each question so that you can start collecting this information and moderating questions more effectively?
    Perhaps report a question for being unclear, duplicate, missing sample scripts and data etc.

Welcome to The Thread, Andy. If you're trying to read it all the way through from the start, congratulations on being a braver soul than many. This particular thread has evolved into a water cooler kind of place where we post about everything and anything, so don't feel constrained by the original topic.

I hope you brought cookies. @=)

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, May 3, 2017 4:58 AM

Welcome to The Thread, Andy. If you're trying to read it all the way through from the start, congratulations on being a braver soul than many. This particular thread has evolved into a water cooler kind of place where we post about everything and anything, so don't feel constrained by the original topic.

I hope you brought cookies. @=)

And scotch.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 58,381 through 58,395 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply