Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:11 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:46 PM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:29 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:40 AM

Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:29 AM

When I was a child my mom would save the fat from cooking bacon.  Didn't know people still did that.  I don't, but then I don't do a lot of cooking.

Believe it or not, I also do canning (as in shelf-stable preserving), smoke my own BBQ, make my own pasta (not as hard as it sounds) and will even grind my own meat when needed.  Cooking is something I really enjoy.

I obviously enjoy cooking since I spent a decade of my life dedicated to the craft. I really like making my own sausage. I am sure some of you remember I have been curing my own bacon. And I am going to try my hand at curing pepperoni this summer.

What kinds of pasta do you make Ed? Sheets and fettucine are pretty easy with a standard roller. Then orchiette is pretty easy since you can shape them by hand. But the more complex shapes typically require some extrusion to do well.

Not sure why but the last 2-3 months I have been giving my fryer a workout. The kids love fresh chicken strips and I can get pretty creative frying up other delicious tidbits.

Fettuccine, linguine and spaghetti are all standard fare.  I do have an extruder for my Kitchen Aid, so penne, macaroni, the little spirals, etc. are all fair game.  I also do tagliatelle, pappardelle, orecchiette, but they require manual cuts or shaping.  I've been rumored to invent my own shapes, just to see how it turns out.  I really like making ravioli, my favorite (and the hardest one) has to be ravioli al uovo.  It's the ravioli with the egg yolk inside, surrounded by an herbed ricotta.  The trick it to make the pasta really thin and cook it just enough to cook the pasta and heat the cheese, but leave the egg yolk runny.

Oh yeah, I love Italian food. 😉

Yeah I have ravioli press so I can make them pretty fast and super consistent. That is left over my chef days. My signature dish is my roasted eggplant ravioli. Odd really...I am one the world's most ravenous carnivores and my signature dish is vegetarian, although not vegan as their is of course eggs in the pasta and some parmesan cheese in the filling and butter in the sauce. If you are interested I would be happy to share my recipe but it is quite involved. And of course I have no quantities to anything, just the list of ingredients. Drives my wife nuts. She likes to look at my recipes and still can't understand why it is just a list of stuff. I always explain they are in a certain order so I remember the process. 😀 Of course the order is just the order that they appear in the dish.

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind, PM me your recipe for the ravioli.  I've never been a chef and don't have a ravioli press, so I do them by hand.
    I also have some dishes that I just make without a recipe.  It doesn't drive my wife nuts because she just lets me cook.  The only time it becomes a problem is when she wants to make it because I'm not home yet.  Then it's a lot of "until it feels right" and other non-measurable terms.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:36 PM

Yeah, if you wouldn't mind, PM me your recipe for the ravioli.  I've never been a chef and don't have a ravioli press, so I do them by hand.
    I also have some dishes that I just make without a recipe.  It doesn't drive my wife nuts because she just lets me cook.  The only time it becomes a problem is when she wants to make it because I'm not home yet.  Then it's a lot of "until it feels right" and other non-measurable terms.

Heh sounds a lot like the way food works in our house. Well except that your wife is willing to go in the kitchen and try. She doesn't even attempt to make stuff without a clear recipe. And like you I have tons of things I just make. It really drives her nuts when there is a recipe and I refuse to measure ingredients. Well I refuse to use the traditional measuring process. I just pour dry ingredients into my hand until I have the amount that is called for. And liquids I just pour. I have demonstrated to her a number of times that I can do that accurately. Even doing things like pouring a cup of milk into a mixing bowl and then letting her pour it into a measuring cup to see. It is actually funny to see her shock when it is really close. She gave up questioning that years ago. Of course baking is a whole different story because accuracy is pretty important sometimes because of the chemistry involved.

I don't have my ravioli recipe written down anywhere. It is in my head but I will write it down and send it your way.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• The two best kitchen purchases I've made in the last few years: pressure cooker and bread maker.

I can and have made bread by hand, but it was always a tedious process with average results. Bread maker makes it so easy and results are excellent (once I adjusted the recipes for altitude)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:34 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:37 PM

GilaMonster - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:28 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:03 AM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:17 AM

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 9:03 AM

Heh... or a constant drip of bacon fat. 😉

LOL. I actually strain and use my bacon fat. I then use it to cook with. Things like eggs, veggies etc are absolutely delicious when cooked with bacon fat. I use about 1/3 bacon fat and 2/3 olive oil. Keeps the flavor up and drops the nasty "bad" stuff a bit. Well at least it makes me feel better about myself.

So do I.  I think of it as culinary gold. It's good for almost any application that requires fat - which is a lot of them.

When I was a child my mom would save the fat from cooking bacon.  Didn't know people still did that.  I don't, but then I don't do a lot of cooking.

Believe it or not, I also do canning (as in shelf-stable preserving), smoke my own BBQ, make my own pasta (not as hard as it sounds) and will even grind my own meat when needed.  Cooking is something I really enjoy.

I've done some preserves recently, very satisfying. Home-made pickled beetroot is far superior to what I get in the shops here (yes, I like beetroot). Maybe next spring/summer I'll try onions, lemons (preserved in salt) and cauliflower, see how they go.

I find that most of the home-made preserves and anything pickled are better than what's available in the stores.  By the way, cauliflower pickles very well.

Excellent. Next spring I'll get some good cauliflower, baby onions, baby beetroot and more jars.
    I added a dried chilli to the pickling vinegar for the beetroot. Was a nice addition, not hot, but a little extra spice that went very well with the beetroot.

I had to look up the phrase beetroot to make sure it referred to what I thought it referred to.  I just knew them as beets.  Yes, I like them too, but I'm alone in the house liking them pickled.

I've added chili peppers to pickles before, but never to beets.  No particular reason for not trying it, but I'll have to give it a whirl this year.

• Michael L John - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 2:30 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:46 PM

Sean Lange - Wednesday, May 24, 2017 12:29 PM

I obviously enjoy cooking since I spent a decade of my life dedicated to the craft. I really like making my own sausage. I am sure some of you remember I have been curing my own bacon. And I am going to try my hand at curing pepperoni this summer.

What kinds of pasta do you make Ed? Sheets and fettucine are pretty easy with a standard roller. Then orchiette is pretty easy since you can shape them by hand. But the more complex shapes typically require some extrusion to do well.

Not sure why but the last 2-3 months I have been giving my fryer a workout. The kids love fresh chicken strips and I can get pretty creative frying up other delicious tidbits.

Fettuccine, linguine and spaghetti are all standard fare.  I do have an extruder for my Kitchen Aid, so penne, macaroni, the little spirals, etc. are all fair game.  I also do tagliatelle, pappardelle, orecchiette, but they require manual cuts or shaping.  I've been rumored to invent my own shapes, just to see how it turns out.  I really like making ravioli, my favorite (and the hardest one) has to be ravioli al uovo.  It's the ravioli with the egg yolk inside, surrounded by an herbed ricotta.  The trick it to make the pasta really thin and cook it just enough to cook the pasta and heat the cheese, but leave the egg yolk runny.

Oh yeah, I love Italian food. 😉

So, what time is dinner???

Michael, if you two want to drive for 5 hours, I'll be more than happy to make you an Italian feast.  Come to think of it, if we ever get around to having a SQL Saturday here, I believe I still owe you a dinner anyway.

• I like to spice up my pickles. A few of the guys I fish with enjoy these, although they tend to back way down if any are left after 2 days.
    They also ask how many peppers I used. I learned 8 or 9 is well beyond their comfort zone.

I start with claussen hearty garlic dills. If I can only find the regular ones, I just slice up some garlic and add my own.
    I found 4 or 5 habaneros, when sliced and heated on a paper towel for 20 seconds will let you start enjoying the pickles the next day.
    Jalapenos - started with them, but they just take up too much room. And up here, they just seem to vary a lot in the heat level. 

• I'm looking forward to getting the smoker out at weekend.  As I said, we haven't got an oven, we're stuck in all day on Saturday waiting for one to be delivered and the weather's supposed to be good, what better day to cook outside.  I've definitely got some apple and I hope I've got some oak left.  I'm doing brisket so I'd prefer to use oak but needs must.

I've done my own pasta, bacon, ham, sausages, beer, cider, cassis, preserves and loads of breads.  I'll give most things a go.  Mrs B was a chef previously and she's as keen on cooking as I am.  She prefers doing Asian food which goes some way to counter-acting my attempts to make us fat.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton - Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:17 AM

I'm looking forward to getting the smoker out at weekend.  As I said, we haven't got an oven, we're stuck in all day on Saturday waiting for one to be delivered and the weather's supposed to be good, what better day to cook outside.  I've definitely got some apple and I hope I've got some oak left.  I'm doing brisket so I'd prefer to use oak but needs must.

I've done my own pasta, bacon, ham, sausages, beer, cider, cassis, preserves and loads of breads.  I'll give most things a go.  Mrs B was a chef previously and she's as keen on cooking as I am.  She prefers doing Asian food which goes some way to counter-acting my attempts to make us fat.

Which one did you get, Neil? We've been shopping around for smoker / barbie recently, only JLP and Dobbies so far. One of them had what looked to me like a decent gadget and I was tempted to buy it, but a recommendation is always good.

Edit: this - https://www.johnlewis.com/landmann-tennessee-charcoal-200-smoker-black/p2991753

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:47 AM

Neil Burton - Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:17 AM

I'm looking forward to getting the smoker out at weekend.  As I said, we haven't got an oven, we're stuck in all day on Saturday waiting for one to be delivered and the weather's supposed to be good, what better day to cook outside.  I've definitely got some apple and I hope I've got some oak left.  I'm doing brisket so I'd prefer to use oak but needs must.

Which one did you get, Neil? We've been shopping around for smoker / barbie recently, only JLP and Dobbies so far. One of them had what looked to me like a decent gadget and I was tempted to buy it, but a recommendation is always good.

Edit: this - https://www.johnlewis.com/landmann-tennessee-charcoal-200-smoker-black/p2991753

I got this one.  I did a bit of looking around and it hit the sweet spot of budget and recommendations.  I can't fault it, the only time I have any trouble is on windy days when I can struggle to get the temperature up.  That's not the fault of the kit though and I don't think I'd have much more success with a more expensive smoker.  If\when I need a replacement I'll probably buy the same one.

I'd stay away from cheap bullet smokers though, The one I bought was only good for taking up space in the cellar but with hindsight I could have seen that coming.  I'd certainly spend a lot on one of those if I were to buy another one.

What I can't recommend enough is one of these.  It better than halves the time to get things lit.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton - Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:11 AM

ChrisM@Work - Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:47 AM

I got this one.  I did a bit of looking around and it hit the sweet spot of budget and recommendations.  I can't fault it, the only time I have any trouble is on windy days when I can struggle to get the temperature up.  That's not the fault of the kit though and I don't think I'd have much more success with a more expensive smoker.  If\when I need a replacement I'll probably buy the same one.

I'd stay away from cheap bullet smokers though, The one I bought was only good for taking up space in the cellar but with hindsight I could have seen that coming.  I'd certainly spend a lot on one of those if I were to buy another one.

What I can't recommend enough is one of these.  It better than halves the time to get things lit.

Haha they're the same Chinese-made kit with different brand names!
    Yours is cheaper than the JLP model. £180 vs £230 is quite a difference.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:21 AM

Neil Burton - Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:11 AM

ChrisM@Work - Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:47 AM

Haha they're the same Chinese-made kit with different brand names!
    Yours is cheaper than JLP, possibly the 5y guarantee.

They do look very similar don't they.  I can't complain with the build quality of mine. There was a bit of escaping smoke between the firebox and the cooking chamber but some high temp silicone fixed that.  The chimney fell off when it blew over one night but that's not actually a major problem because it means that I can put a generic barbecue cover over it and just push the chimney into place before use.

• I have a couple of weeks left on my contract my current 'gig', well almost as the agency did the contract to June 7th which is a Wednesday!
    But they haven't really said one way or the other as to whether they are extending or not...
    I assumed not as they have decided to go a different direction with things and not look to hire a FTE DBA, but use a company for remote DBA work.
    Only...
    One of the dev's here just asked me when I finish as he's been told he needs to move desk soon!
    :hehe:

Rodders...

• cleaning up someone else's code is always fun. modifying something to work for all states instead of the one, and whoever wrote this one put (NOLOCK) after every local temp table they're accessing.

don't want anyone else accidentally locking rows on your temp table, that's good thinking. Especially when you're populating a variable value within a loop using a SELECT, and not doing any data modification.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:27 AM

cleaning up someone else's code is always fun. modifying something to work for all states instead of the one, and whoever wrote this one put (NOLOCK) after every local temp table they're accessing.

don't want anyone else accidentally locking rows on your temp table, that's good thinking. Especially when you're populating a variable value within a loop using a SELECT, and not doing any data modification.

Absolutely! Don't you know how much chaos that would cause?

Obviously, you haven't read The Manual of Useless Coding lately. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 58,696 through 58,710 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply