Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange - Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:22 PM

Ed Wagner - Thursday, May 25, 2017 11:46 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:23 AM

Ed Wagner - Thursday, May 25, 2017 8:08 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:56 AM

jonathan.crawford - Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:22 AM

they also keep switching case on their variable names, it's driving me nuts. @variable1 vs @VARIABLE1 vs @Variable1, all the same.

If this is in a Dev environment, switch the Database collation CS from CI and let them test their code on their own. @=)

This tip brought to you from Evil DBA Overlords.

Oh, now that is a somewhat evil and twisted thing to do.  Love it. :hehe:

That is why I write all my code as if I was working in a case sensitive environment.

I do too.  I'm not in a case-sensitive environment, but I code like I am.  I think it's safer.

I have the worst of both worlds. Most of our systems are case insensitive but our new ERP is case sensitive.

We are also both.  

And, I actually did that about 15 years ago.  The database was SQL, the code was all Java.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Sean Lange - Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:22 PM

they also keep switching case on their variable names, it's driving me nuts. @variable1 vs @VARIABLE1 vs @Variable1, all the same.

If this is in a Dev environment, switch the Database collation CS from CI and let them test their code on their own. @=)

That is why I write all my code as if I was working in a case sensitive environment.

I do too.  I'm not in a case-sensitive environment, but I code like I am.  I think it's safer.

I have the worst of both worlds. Most of our systems are case insensitive but our new ERP is case sensitive.

You had to bring up that nasty environment.  Knowing something about it, I'll try to forget the painful memories before attempting to sleep tonight.  I don't want the nightmares and voices to come back.

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:11 PM

Sean Lange - Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:22 PM

You had to bring up that nasty environment.  Knowing something about it, I'll try to forget the painful memories before attempting to sleep tonight.  I don't want the nightmares and voices to come back.

Java, Java, Java.  The drink, not the language.  Wait, I don't drink java.

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:11 PM

Sean Lange - Thursday, May 25, 2017 12:22 PM

Don't get me started. Of course you know all too well just how truly hideous this ERP is...

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• I've been interviewing after being laid of in March (my place was acquired and they reorganized a number of us out of the company) and two things came up this week that surprised me.

At one place, they were looking for a developer / DBA with the work being about 80% development and 20% what they called "light DBA work."  They asked some basic questions related to backups / restores.  They then told me that they had a number of candidates who couldn't answer these questions at all (they were happy with my answers).  While I know DBA (like Agile and Business Intelligence) means different things to different people / organizations, I would think you should know some basics of administering a database if you're applying for a DBA role.  Whenever I interviewed a DBA candidate and asked them "what are your first three priorities when you come in," I better hear "check that databases are being backed up (and restores being tested periodically)."

At another place, one of the DBAs was interviewing me and saw I had upgraded our BI environment to 2016 and asked me why.  They are on 2012.  I explained about the improvements to the database engine, Create or Alter (should be reason enough), and a lot of improvements to the BI stack (while I got my SSAS cubes to 2016, I wasn't able to implement a tabular instance :().  He had no idea about any of the changes that came with 2016.  I'm definitely not someone who obsesses over SQL.  I don't build databases just for fun after hours but I do follow a number of blogs (and some forums) to keep track of what's going on in the SQL Server community (I could definitely be more active in the community).  I do set up test instances at work (at least I did) to try things and see if they're practical for my needs.  One of the things I love about working in technology is that it's constantly evolving which means there are always new things to learn.

Am I crazy to be surprised or have you found this to be semi-normal?

• Tom_Hogan - Friday, May 26, 2017 8:44 AM

I've been interviewing after being laid of in March (my place was acquired and they reorganized a number of us out of the company) and two things came up this week that surprised me.

At one place, they were looking for a developer / DBA with the work being about 80% development and 20% what they called "light DBA work."  They asked some basic questions related to backups / restores.  They then told me that they had a number of candidates who couldn't answer these questions at all (they were happy with my answers).  While I know DBA (like Agile and Business Intelligence) means different things to different people / organizations, I would think you should know some basics of administering a database if you're applying for a DBA role.  Whenever I interviewed a DBA candidate and asked them "what are your first three priorities when you come in," I better hear "check that databases are being backed up (and restores being tested periodically)."

At another place, one of the DBAs was interviewing me and saw I had upgraded our BI environment to 2016 and asked me why.  They are on 2012.  I explained about the improvements to the database engine, Create or Alter (should be reason enough), and a lot of improvements to the BI stack (while I got my SSAS cubes to 2016, I wasn't able to implement a tabular instance :().  He had no idea about any of the changes that came with 2016.  I'm definitely not someone who obsesses over SQL.  I don't build databases just for fun after hours but I do follow a number of blogs (and some forums) to keep track of what's going on in the SQL Server community (I could definitely be more active in the community).  I do set up test instances at work (at least I did) to try things and see if they're practical for my needs.  One of the things I love about working in technology is that it's constantly evolving which means there are always new things to learn.

You aren't crazy.  I keep abreast of changes to SQL Server and try to keep those around in the know.  Unfortunately, it doesn't always mean that we are going to move to the latest and greatest.  My boss tried get us to move from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2016 but failed.  Instead we are moving what is our legacy product to SQL Server 2012 since we had purchased those licenses and then used them to continue installing 2008 R2.

I am sure there are more companies and individuals out there that aren't at least tracking the changes to SQL Server and seeing if those changes would be of benefit to the company.  Also, there are those bound by what 3rd party vendors support as well.

I've been interviewing after being laid of in March (my place was acquired and they reorganized a number of us out of the company) and two things came up this week that surprised me.

At one place, they were looking for a developer / DBA with the work being about 80% development and 20% what they called "light DBA work."  They asked some basic questions related to backups / restores.  They then told me that they had a number of candidates who couldn't answer these questions at all...

At another place, one of the DBAs was interviewing me and saw I had upgraded our BI environment to 2016 and asked me why.  

I do set up test instances at work (at least I did) to try things and see if they're practical for my needs.  One of the things I love about working in technology is that it's constantly evolving which means there are always new things to learn.

Now look what you've done. The start of a long weekend imminent and you've depressed me. You've brought so many things back to me by giving those examples.
    In my opinion, it is quite common to find people that call themselves DBAs and can't even backup or restore databases. Some SQL Developers never get to play with the server but I'd still expect them to be able to backup and restore, just to move a dev database or suchlike. Some DBAs should be tied out under the sun and have ants poured over them, for the claims that they make and the skills they actually have. 
    I once worked with a contractor who claimed to be a expert at replication. We had to ban him from touching it - every time he tried to make changes it was like he dropped a hand-grenade into the configuration.
    I've worked with a SQL Developer who could only set backups via the Maintenance Plans and didn't understand recovery models. A full backup followed by a log backup once a day.
    I don't consider myself to be particularly experienced DBA because there are so many things I believe I still need to learn. Also, a couple of years ago I was mentored by Paul Randall and I'm still working through the list of areas he believes a DBA needs to claim a particular level of skill. I'm not sure I'll ever get the end of that list.
    Then I see what others are claiming makes them a DBA and a whole series of dark thoughts occupy my time.
    I probably work a 60/40 split between dev and production and enjoy the mix. It isn't uncommon to have 'sandpit' instances to play on. I couldn't post any of my articles without having those to play with. That and pure curiosity - somewhere to play.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

I have to agree with Lynn and Steve - it's normal.  I've also met DBAs who couldn't do a backup or restore without a third-party tool because that's all they've ever used.  Some don't know the first thing about security.  So no, you aren't crazy - about this at least. 😉

I also find that there are so many different areas of SQL Server that  there are very few people who are well-versed in all of them.  I know people who have a great depth of knowledge in some areas, but have no idea about others.  Using myself as an example, I can talk for a while about backups, recovery, security, performance, indexes, etc., but can hardly spell SSIS.  We all have our areas of specialty, but I'd think backup and recovery would be primary topics for most DBAs.

• So, today I got this beauty for deployment. Things like these make me want to either slap or choke the developers.

CREATE TYPE [dbo].[udtbl_ParentSomeColumnXXID_ParentSomeOtherColumnXXID_ChildSomeColumnXXID_ChildSomeOtherColumnXXID_FlipFlag] AS TABLE

ParentSomeColumnXXID INT,
        ParentSomeOtherColumnXXID INT,
        ChildSomeColumnXXID INT,
        ChildSomeOtherColumnXXID INT,
        FlipFlag VARCHAR(1)
    )

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares - Friday, May 26, 2017 10:16 AM

So, today I got this beauty for deployment. Things like these make me want to either slap or choke the developers.

CREATE TYPE [dbo].[udtbl_ParentSomeColumnXXID_ParentSomeOtherColumnXXID_ChildSomeColumnXXID_ChildSomeOtherColumnXXID_FlipFlag] AS TABLE

ChildSomeColumnXXID INT,
        FlipFlag VARCHAR(1)
    )

Oh my.  Did you let the high-velocity pork chop fly?

So, today I got this beauty for deployment. Things like these make me want to either slap or choke the developers.

ChildSomeColumnXXID INT,
        FlipFlag VARCHAR(1)
    )

Holy cow!!! That is shocking on many levels. Nice that the name of the type is current columns....sure hope that never changes. Reminds of our marketing guy. He decided he was going to work on the css for the main website. He named his css classes with all the attributes of the class.  So classes like RedFontUnderlineSize12. Then he would always ask me to do a find/replace on the whole site when he wanted to change the css because he had to change the class name as the name no longer matched. It took me telling him to do it himself one time before he realized that a bit more generic name was appropriate. 🙂

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Obviously, the column names were changed, but I left the length exactly the same.
    Several pork-chop airstrikes where ordered for this.
    I'm not sure if data types are subject to change as you need to drop and recreate them. You would also need to drop any object that references them.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • JustMarie - Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:45 AM

Actually I might suggest this to our DBAs after seeing some of the code out there.

Heh.. welcome to the "BSOFH" club. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

ChildSomeColumnXXID INT,
        FlipFlag VARCHAR(1)
    )

I'm so glad I finished lunch before I read this. I'd hate to be choking right now. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

ChildSomeColumnXXID INT,
        FlipFlag VARCHAR(1)
    )

Totally wonky.  Everyone knows it should really be...

CREATE TYPE [dbo].[udtbl_intParentSomeColumnXXID_intParentSomeOtherColumnXXID_intChildSomeColumnXXID_intChildSomeOtherColumnXXID_vtxFlipFlag] AS TABLE
    (
        intParentSomeColumnXXID INT,
        intParentSomeOtherColumnXXID INT,
        intChildSomeColumnXXID INT,
        intChildSomeOtherColumnXXID INT,
        vtxFlipFlag VARCHAR(1)
    )

😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 15 posts - 58,726 through 58,740 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply