Are the posted questions getting worse?

• DesNorton - Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:08 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, July 5, 2017 8:48 AM

Speaking of excellence... If someone puts "expert at ..." on their resume, how large a grain of salt do you take it with? Is it an automatic turnoff or a warning flag?

Or do you accept it at face value until interview time?

I sat in on an interview of candidate for a Dev position that was an "expert" at SQL.  She was very proud of the fact that she had worked with every version since SQL6.5.

I gave her a piece of paper, that had a single question.

DECLARE @Num INT;
    Please write a SQL statement that will evaluate @Num, and return one of the following results
    If @Num is divisible by 3, return "Fizz"
    If @Num is divisible by 5, return "Buzz"
    If @Num is divisible by 15, return "FizzBuzz"

She stared at the paper for about 5 mins, then burst into tears.  The request was way beyond her ability

I'd need to check what the modulo operator is in SQL (% ? ), since I don't use it particularly often, but other than that, it's a trivial problem.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thom A - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:07 AM

GilaMonster - Thursday, July 6, 2017 5:55 AM

DesNorton - Wednesday, July 5, 2017 11:13 PM

@Grant Fritchey

I believe that congratulations are in order, sir.

Or condolences, whiskey and a shoulder to cry on. πŸ™‚

How about a monkey Shoulder?
    Image result for Monkey Shoulder with glass

Now we're talking!

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• GilaMonster - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:37 AM

DesNorton - Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:08 PM

Speaking of excellence... If someone puts "expert at ..." on their resume, how large a grain of salt do you take it with? Is it an automatic turnoff or a warning flag?

I sat in on an interview of candidate for a Dev position that was an "expert" at SQL.  She was very proud of the fact that she had worked with every version since SQL6.5.

DECLARE @Num INT;
    Please write a SQL statement that will evaluate @Num, and return one of the following results

She stared at the paper for about 5 mins, then burst into tears.  The request was way beyond her ability

I'd need to check what the modulo operator is in SQL (% ? ), since I don't use it particularly often, but other than that, it's a trivial problem.

We can always make this a little more interesting
    😎
    DECLARE @Num INT =15;

SELECT
      ISNULL(UNCOMPRESS(NULLIF(SIGN(@Num % 3),1) + 1181317754),N'')
     +
      ISNULL(UNCOMPRESS(NULLIF(SIGN(@Num % 5),1) + 1114995322),N'');

...and now the interviewer is cryingπŸ˜›

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:40 AM

Thom A - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:07 AM

@Grant Fritchey

Image result for Monkey Shoulder with glass

Now we're talking!

Should go nice with Ed's pig shoulder
    😎
    (from the smoker :D)

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:56 AM

GilaMonster - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:37 AM

DesNorton - Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:08 PM

DECLARE @Num INT;

We can always make this a little more interesting
    😎
    DECLARE @Num INT =15;

SELECT
      ISNULL(UNCOMPRESS(NULLIF(SIGN(@Num % 3),1) + 1181317754),N'')
     +
      ISNULL(UNCOMPRESS(NULLIF(SIGN(@Num % 5),1) + 1114995322),N'');

...and now the interviewer is cryingπŸ˜›

FizzBuzz is an interesting programming problem, and just for kicks I posted my own single SELECT solution a few months back. However, in my opinion it's actually not a good SQL Server interview question, because it's not typical of the type query that a T-SQL programmer would be tasked with coding day to day on the job. You might as well ask them if they know how to tie balloon animals.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:30 AM

FizzBuzz is an interesting programming problem, and just for kicks I posted my own single SELECT solution a few months back. However, in my opinion it's actually not a good SQL Server interview question, because it's not typical of the type query that a T-SQL programmer would be tasked with coding day to day on the job. You might as well ask them if they know how to tie balloon animals.

For me, it can work great as screening question. It can be a simple select statement or it can be really complex, so you can see a bit more of the coding style and way of thinking of the candidate. I wouldn't offer a position based only on that, but it can help in many ways.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2

Do you know how to tie balloon animals?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

DECLARE @Num INT;

BTW, 10 year old article on this.

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:02 AM

Grant Fritchey - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:40 AM

@Grant Fritchey

Now we're talking!

😎

It turned out great.  The shoulders had one of the best crusts I've ever developed, pulled easily and had great flavor.  The pork loin had a nice, deep smoke ring and, because I smoked it to temperature, didn't dry out at all.  My grand experiment was smoked macaroni and cheese and it got rave reviews.  All in all, the many-hour vigil was well worth it.

• Just started walking through the procedures / SSIS packages for the application I'm now responsible for at my new gig.

Why do so few developers care about maintainability?  There's no documentation and barely any comments in the code.  In the SSIS, the control flow doesn't really flow.  There are multiple tasks called File System Task, SQL Task, etc.  In several package, I have multiple database connections for the same database (same type too) which are each used in the various tasks.  They also point to localhost.  Everything is hard-coded in the package so moving from Dev to Test to Prod must have been fun.  It's going to take me weeks to figure out what's going on (there's probably some good stuff here, I just need to find it).  I wish this was the first time I've run into this.

I do think I've figured out my specialty - "Tom Hogan, Sr Database Developer / Development DBA; specializes in figuring out what the previous developers did and making it maintainable."

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:59 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:02 AM

Grant Fritchey - Thursday, July 6, 2017 6:40 AM

@Grant Fritchey

Now we're talking!

😎

It turned out great.  The shoulders had one of the best crusts I've ever developed, pulled easily and had great flavor.  The pork loin had a nice, deep smoke ring and, because I smoked it to temperature, didn't dry out at all.  My grand experiment was smoked macaroni and cheese and it got rave reviews.  All in all, the many-hour vigil was well worth it.

A few weeks ago now I picked up the same smoker Neil Burton was raving about and since then I've had the chance to fire it up three or four times. Each time has been quite a learning experience, especially maintaining a low, steady temperature. Some of the results have been spectacular, but only the chicken so far. Whole legs soaked overnight in spices and maple syrup were particularly good smoked with oak logs, as was a large corn-fed chicken, spatchcocked.
    I'd love to know how you do a whole pork shoulder, it sounds just awesome - but if the small-ish joint I tried is anything to go by, you can say goodbye to crispy crackling, which is highly prized over here.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

DECLARE @Num INT;

Well, I have worked with SQL Server since SQL 6.5, and I am glad for it (wouldn't necessarily say very proud) as it started me on the path I followed the past 20+ years.  I did learn as each new version came out that it was getting harder to be an expert on the entire product suite.  As for the FizzBuzz, not posting it but I did just write one in less than 5 minutes that did it for values of n from 1 to 10,000.  Of course I have also seen this numerous times over the years.

My question, did you care how it was written or for how many values it was to run?  I'm just curious.  More than 12 years ago I would have used a cursor as I didn't know about Tally or Number tables.  Today I would use a dynamic Tally table.

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:45 AM

Eric M Russell - Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:30 AM

Do you know how to tie balloon animals?

Ummm... YES! While employed at ABC Corp I was the balloon animal team lead, responsible for mentoring junior DBAs in tying techniques and implemented best practices for deployment to production. But I was told by the recruiter that balloon tying would not be required?? :unsure:

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

As mentioned, I wouldn't use it to base an offer but it can serve as a way to learn about how an individual solves a problem.  Just from the description given there are several questions that could be asked before one even starts writing a single line of code.

• Tom_Hogan - Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:06 AM

Just started walking through the procedures / SSIS packages for the application I'm now responsible for at my new gig.

Why do so few developers care about maintainability?  There's no documentation and barely any comments in the code.  In the SSIS, the control flow doesn't really flow.  There are multiple tasks called File System Task, SQL Task, etc.  In several package, I have multiple database connections for the same database (same type too) which are each used in the various tasks.  They also point to localhost.  Everything is hard-coded in the package so moving from Dev to Test to Prod must have been fun.  It's going to take me weeks to figure out what's going on (there's probably some good stuff here, I just need to find it).  I wish this was the first time I've run into this.

I do think I've figured out my specialty - "Tom Hogan, Sr Database Developer / Development DBA; specializes in figuring out what the previous developers did and making it maintainable."

localhost as default instance is fairly good practice, IMO, assuming all dev work is done locally. Of course, there should be a single connection for each relevant DB on localhost to allow easy parameterization at deploy time.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 59,131 through 59,145 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply