Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Grant Fritchey (11/22/2008)

Terribly late to the party, rude of me, I know.

Did ya bring anything to eat? I'm getting ready to vent... best way I know of to clear a table...:D

and scary depths of knowledge seperate out those very few at the top from those of us who just enjoy hacking around.

But none of us has written a book like some of the good folks we know. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Wow... it's a huge understatement to say that a good number of the "greats" have joined in on this thread... I've learned a huge amount from all of you folks over the years. Thank you one and all.

Something unexpected that I've learned is patience and, even though there are many that don't deserve it, kindness, though I'll never be as good at it as some of you folks. It's not only helped me with my posts on this good forum, but in my job, as well. In particular, I've got to thank our rock solid Web Master and confidant, Steve Jones and my "testing buddy", Matt Miller for a lot of that although it seems that everyone who I consider to be a "great" also seems to have those wonderful attributes on top of everything else they have to offer.

As David Poole once said, the "extraordinary DBA is someone who you go to first... not as a last resort."

Heh... using your good examples, I've actually been removing the bone from the porkchops before I launch them. 😀 Still get's the point across and I feel much better about it... :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Ok... Going way back to the original post on this thread, lemme ask what you folks think... read the original post on the following thread... don't read the other posts, yet... just read the original post...

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic604064-146-1.aspx#bm604064

Now, a couple of questions...

1. Are these questions "interview questions" that someone was asked during an interview, or are these questions that someone was asked on the job?

2. Should a senior DBA be able to answer those questions without having to resort to a forum?

3. If you needed answers to those questions, what would YOU do to find the answers? Would you take the time to find out on your own or just post to a forum because you're "too busy"?

4. Is the person that posted these questions a Sr. DBA in truth or in title only?

Ok... read down in the posts and find the OP's responses to answer the final question...

5. Is the OP an arrogant dumba$$ and discredit to the word "DBA" or not? Don't you secretly envision having this dude tied to a chair with a couple of buckets of porkchops at the ready for some point blank range target practice? 😛

I think that thread is a typical example of what Michael Earl (the OP of this thread) was talking about...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (11/22/2008)

1. Are these questions "interview questions" that someone was asked during an interview, or are these questions that someone was asked on the job?

Well, they look like interview/exam type questions.

2. Should a senior DBA be able to answer those questions without having to resort to a forum?

Certainly you should know where to look for performance issues, the first question. As far as log-shipping, I guess it depends on your definition of Senior DBA. Now I don't necessarily consider myself a Senior DBA since I have never just had a SQL Server or DBA job,m but have been a "jack of all trades", but I wouldn't, didn't, don't know the answer to the log-shipping questions. Although I can disconnect users.

3. If you needed answers to those questions, what would YOU do to find the answers? Would you take the time to find out on your own or just post to a forum because you're "too busy"?

All the questions should be able to be found in BOL, but unfortunately people seem to refuse to use it. I work and have worked with people like this. Call someone else instead of looking it up.

4. Is the person that posted these questions a Sr. DBA in truth or in title only?

Well, apparently in title anyway.

Ok... read down in the posts and find the OP's responses to answer the final question...

5. Is the OP an arrogant dumba$$ and discredit to the word "DBA" or not? Don't you secretly envision having this dude tied to a chair with a couple of buckets of porkchops at the ready for some point blank range target practice? 😛

That's probably a bit extreme, but I think Gail had it right in her response to the OP. I'd add that if he can't get some classes, he get some books starting with the Inside SQL Server series

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (11/22/2008)

Matt Miller (11/22/2008)

And Jack has got the jack of of trades thing going on, covering most ares in a single bound.

Thanks, but don't forget the the second half of the "jack of all trades" quote, "master of none".

Considering the quality of your responses - I don't believe that applies in your case. Really.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Jack Corbett (11/22/2008)

Oh, and based on your tweets it didn't seem like you were late to any of the PASS Summit parties!:D:P

Grant late for a party? That'll be the day. 😉

Grant Fritchey (11/22/2008)

Gail goes barefoot a lot.

Indeed. Including during my presentation. I was wondering if anyone would notice.

To stay on topic, a bit, was it me or did the posting slack off in this last week (I don't mean by me, I didn't post squat). It seemed like there were quite a few less posts.

I think so. I haven't been posting much (waaay too busy and hotel's internet access is shaky) but there have been fewer pages than usual in the posts today page and fewer post notifications in my mail.

Lynn's been doing an absolutely heroic job of keeping things under control while some of us have been lounging around in Seattle.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Matt Miller (11/22/2008)

Jack Corbett (11/22/2008)

Matt Miller (11/22/2008)

And Jack has got the jack of of trades thing going on, covering most ares in a single bound.

Thanks, but don't forget the the second half of the "jack of all trades" quote, "master of none".

Considering the quality of your responses - I don't believe that applies in your case. Really.

Agreed... should be "Jack of all trades, master of many."

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• GilaMonster (11/22/2008)

Lynn's been doing an absolutely heroic job of keeping things under control while some of us have been lounging around in Seattle.

Yeh, it has been a killer week telling everyone to read Jeff's article on how to post better questions over and over. I feel like a broken record (of course how many people out there know what a vinyl record is today).

I'll be glad to start reading and learning from those of you who were at Pass. Hopefully one day I'll be able to go. Heck, I couldn't even get work to pay for it when it was in Denver!

• Lynn Pettis (11/22/2008)

Yeh, it has been a killer week telling everyone to read Jeff's article on how to post better questions over and over. I feel like a broken record (of course how many people out there know what a vinyl record is today).

I think the account creation process should include it as part of the process. It would save us all some time. Either that or we need to be able to create a default response like a signature and have it as a button along with reply, quote.

I'll be glad to start reading and learning from those of you who were at Pass. Hopefully one day I'll be able to go. Heck, I couldn't even get work to pay for it when it was in Denver!

I'll second both of those. I'm starting to save up for the SUMMIT next year now, so I can go. And I just want to be able to go for the networking, I mean to be able to meet Gail, Grant, and all would be great. I think it would be good for Grant, too, as he wouldn't have to worry about being "the dumbest guy in the room" (from his blog[/url]) if I'm in the same room.

Jack Corbett

• GAAAA!!!

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic606992-65-1.aspx

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Yep, the record's stuck, the record's stuck, the record's stuck, the record's stuck...

• Lynn Pettis (11/22/2008)

I have a macro tool on my home pc where I can easily put in some pre-written answers. I'll see if I can find a site for it. When I get home, that it.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Jeff Moden (11/22/2008)

And he's writing another one. A full, published dead-tree book...

Gail Shaw

Lynn Pettis (11/22/2008)

I have a macro tool on my home pc where I can easily put in some pre-written answers. I'll see if I can find a site for it. When I get home, that it.

That would be great to have. Certainly will reduce my time on-line. Look forward to seeing it somewhere.

Yeah, you definitely traveled a loooong way to make it to PASS. Would you do it even if you weren't presenting?

Jack Corbett

Jeff Moden (11/22/2008)

And he's writing another one. A full, published dead-tree book...

Wow, I don't know how anyone can write a book. I struggle to get an article written for SSC, a short blog post, or putting together a presentation for a user group. To have to write more than a couple of pages is agonizing.

Jack Corbett

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply