Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Florian Reischl (6/26/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/26/2009)

Florian Reischl (6/26/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)

I only hope he reads the blog, but I doubt it.

I hope (s)he did. Next posts have been really okay.

Heh... I'm not sure where the link is for this one... could someone post it?

Sure: I have a vision and you have a task

He, he, he. He was just trying to be funny. he, he, he.

I'll have to wait a bit before replying directly as all I can come up with are snide comments about having to earn the right to be funny like that. He just doesn't have the rep yet to do things like that.

• Went back to Slave Boy's thread just now, and I'm wondering, is it just me or do some posts just magically appear where I hadn't seen them before?? This isn't the first time I felt I have seen posts appear in between other posts either.

• Lynn Pettis (6/26/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/26/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)

I'll have to wait a bit before replying directly as all I can come up with are snide comments about having to earn the right to be funny like that. He just doesn't have the rep yet to do things like that.

Noticed the answer and don't really believe it. However - from my side - sometimes saying nothing says all.

• Here's a legitimate and, in my opinion, interesting question about indexes and included columns. I've tried to help but don't know enough to answer the real question. Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

Noticed the answer and don't really believe it. However - from my side - sometimes saying nothing says all.

I absolutely agree... I hate feeding trolls whether they're malicious or not. Sometimes it's just not worth the post count to reply. To wit, let the code do the talking... trying to reform some folks just isn't worth the time. Eventually, those folks will hang themselves in their professional lives when their alligator mouth overloads their humminbird hiney.

On the other hand, it's sometimes fun to poke them in the ribs to see which way they'll duck before launching a full volley of very high velocity pork chops in the form of code. Even then, I hate to feed a troll correct answers because they typically don't deserve answers to begin with.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Lynn Pettis (6/26/2009)

I'll have to wait a bit before replying directly as all I can come up with are snide comments about having to earn the right to be funny like that.

My recommendation is to just don't bother. Too many brain cells have been wasted on posts like that to begin with.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jack Corbett (6/26/2009)

Here's a legitimate and, in my opinion, interesting question about indexes and included columns. I've tried to help but don't know enough to answer the real question. Anyone else want to take a shot at it?

Good question. I don't know the answer. Guess I have a bit of studying to do when I get a little time.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• May I request someone to help this OP .. I do not have SQL 2000 on any machine that has Excel 2007 and having a devil of a time with attempting to answer his/her needs properly

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic741843-150-1.aspx#bm742162

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Jeff Moden (6/26/2009)

Jeff Moden (6/26/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/25/2009)

It appears that he repented but I have to say that was a really nice initial pork chop you whipped on that boy. 😀 Short, sweet, fast, and right in the kisser. 😛

Learned from the master of pork chops :hehe:

• lmu92 (6/24/2009)

Hi folks,

would someone with execution plan background mind to take a look at this post and verify if I'm on the right track or misguiding the OP?

The more interesting part of it is the performance comparison of PIVOT vs. MAX(CASE...). But I think the rough time measurement is not really useful since to me it looks like there are missing indexes.

@Jeff

Just saw your post here

Maybe you missed this post by Lutz. There is a case where PIVOT seems to be much faster than cross-tab here.

lmu92 (6/24/2009)

Hi folks,

would someone with execution plan background mind to take a look at this post and verify if I'm on the right track or misguiding the OP?

The more interesting part of it is the performance comparison of PIVOT vs. MAX(CASE...). But I think the rough time measurement is not really useful since to me it looks like there are missing indexes.

@Jeff

Just saw your post here

Maybe you missed this post by Lutz. There is a case where PIVOT seems to be much faster than cross-tab here.

Not if you do it right... 😉 See the following article and then revisit Lutz's post.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Roy Ernest (6/26/2009)

GilaMonster (6/26/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/26/2009)

And if things get REALLY bad, we'll just toss Gail into the middle of them. Although, that might be considered a cruel thing to do to a crowd... But hey, it'd be fun.

Cruel to the crowd? :ermm:

That was not nice Grant... 😉

Heh... I want to see the man that thinks Gail can be tossed anywhere without him coming up missing a few body parts.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Lynn Pettis (6/26/2009)...

I dunno, Lynn. This was an odd one from the start. I mean odd in the sense that it seemed very atypical for a rude request,. Both too over the top and too flip at the same time. So maybe it's just as he says it is. If there had been a 😀 or a "(just kidding)" in the OP, I think that we would have all just seen it as weak humor.

I say, just apply the rule of "Everyone Get's One." rule and let it go. For now. On the other hand, if a pattern emerges...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Jeff Moden (6/26/2009)

lmu92 (6/24/2009)

Hi folks,

@Jeff

Just saw your post here

Not if you do it right... 😉 See the following article and then revisit Lutz's post.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/

I read your really good article and did my own tests. If multi-aggregated results are required the cross-tab solution is much faster than pivot. But in case of single aggregations (e.g. Amount in your test environment) pivot seems to runs at least same performance - sometimes faster - than a cross-tab solution.

I tried on SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 with 100,000 and 1,000,000 rows.

• An interesting response here. Anyone understand what he's asking?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic743113-391-1.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 6,106 through 6,120 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply