Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jack Corbett (6/28/2009)

GilaMonster (6/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/27/2009)

Okay, you were between 6 and 10 when I learned that in University. Not exactly when or which school I was in when I had my first database class.

😀

You're the first person I know (outside of my 2nd year CS class) that also knew that mnemonic.

I've heard it before, but probably wouldn't have quoted it. I think I heard Celko say it a seminar, but I'm not sure.

The tongue-in-cheek version that I learned (looong ago) was "The key, the whole key and nothing but the key, so help me Codd." which of course is a play on the oath that a witness has to take before they testify in court (in the US anyway, do other countries use this also?).

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• RBarryYoung (6/28/2009)

Jack Corbett (6/28/2009)

GilaMonster (6/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/27/2009)

Okay, you were between 6 and 10 when I learned that in University. Not exactly when or which school I was in when I had my first database class.

😀

You're the first person I know (outside of my 2nd year CS class) that also knew that mnemonic.

I've heard it before, but probably wouldn't have quoted it. I think I heard Celko say it a seminar, but I'm not sure.

The tongue-in-cheek version that I learned (looong ago) was "The key, the whole key and nothing but the key, so help me Codd." which of course is a play on the oath that a witness has to take before they testify in court (in the US anyway, do other countries use this also?).

Yea, that's how I actually learned it. I just left that last part off.

• RBarryYoung (6/28/2009)

Jack Corbett (6/28/2009)

GilaMonster (6/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/27/2009)

😀

I've got that posted on my cube at work. No one finds it amusing except me. I'm not sure why.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/28/2009)

RBarryYoung (6/28/2009)

Jack Corbett (6/28/2009)

GilaMonster (6/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/27/2009)

😀

I've got that posted on my cube at work. No one finds it amusing except me. I'm not sure why.

Okay Gail, now you know four people! 😉

• Grant Fritchey (6/28/2009)

I've got that posted on my cube at work.

You have a proper Dilbert-style cube? :w00t:

• Referring to the original purpose of The Thread:

Any consultant around ready for some charity work?

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• lmu92 (6/29/2009)

Referring to the original purpose of The Thread:

This one is perfect for Wayne 😀

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/29/2009)

lmu92 (6/29/2009)

Referring to the original purpose of The Thread:

This one is perfect for Wayne 😀

By the way, I still need somebody to cut my grass!!

It keeps on raining during the weekend...

I offer 5 dollars!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (6/29/2009)

By the way, I still need somebody to cut my grass!!

It keeps on raining during the weekend...

I offer 5 dollars!

I'll do it, assuming you're covering travel and accommodation costs as well. 😀

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Paul White (6/28/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/28/2009)

I'm not sure I'd call it proper since I occupy it, but, oh yeah, it's completely a Dilbert style cube. I work for an insurance company.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• lmu92 (6/29/2009)

I'll do it, assuming you're covering travel and accommodation costs as well. 😀

I'm still offering 5 dollars, better than nothing.

Anyway better than "I want (you) to cut my grass"!!:-P

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Grant Fritchey (6/29/2009)

I'm not sure I'd call it proper since I occupy it, but, oh yeah, it's completely a Dilbert style cube. I work for an insurance company.

Well in case it wasn't clear before - I'm jealous.

I've never had a proper cube 🙁

Open plan offices - bah.

• Paul White (6/29/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/29/2009)

Well in case it wasn't clear before - I'm jealous.

I've never had a proper cube 🙁

Open plan offices - bah.

I kind of like the open office too. But really, best of all would be four walls, one with a window and one with a door so I could wall off the planet when I'm in the mood.

BTW, below my Codd Oath, the other saying I have posted, again, no one appreciates:

The Rules: They may be stupid, arbitrary and irritating, but god help you if you break them.

• GilaMonster (6/28/2009)

Lynn Pettis (6/27/2009)

😀

I know the mnemonic, can quote it and all that. So I guess you know at least two.

What I think is funny is the people who think that "normalizing" is replacing all the data with ID FKs to other tables. Like, instead of having a person's name in a Customers table, you'd have columns like, "FirstNameID", "LastNameID", and joins to a Names table. I've actually had someone tell me that that's 3NF. Same guy said that datetime being replaced with "DateID" and "TimeID" was 5NF.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Paul White (6/28/2009)

Grant Fritchey (6/28/2009)

So do I.

I have a Dilbert strip, the XKCD about Little Bobby Tables (search that if you don't know it, required reading for DBAs), a picture of Darth Vader with "I find your lack of indexes disturbing" as the tag line (got that one from Grant), a list from one of Phil's posts on Simple Talk, and a quote from Gail, all pinned up on the "wall".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 6,136 through 6,150 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply