Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ire

Jeff Moden - Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:43 PM

Good lord!  Have you seen the spam tonight?  It has affected all of the top 5 or 6 forums on this site and there's 40 to 50 on each forum.  It's just crazy.

I've found that if you report 3 of their posts they all (magically) disappear; guessing that there's some logic where users with high rep can force an anti-spam rule. There's was loads the other day, think I reported a user 9 times or something silly, as soon as one batch was gone, they started up again.

Got to agree, I do think that newly registered users might need to have slightly lower permissions; it's so frustrating to see an entire page of utter crap.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• ThomasRushton - Friday, May 18, 2018 5:56 AM

Phil Parkin - Friday, May 18, 2018 5:24 AM

Still getting notifications ...

The most recent notification I had was from about an hour ago (at 11:52am BST)

I've not killed any fresh accounts since I posted above.  I guess the mail system is struggling to keep up.  Or someone else is also playing whack-a-spammer

I think you are right about the mail system playing catch-up. I'm still getting notifications, but I can see that the associated posts have been torched.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Deleted more than 1000 spam mails and it keeps coming :crazy:
    😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Friday, May 18, 2018 10:39 AM

Deleted more than 1000 spam mails and it keeps coming :crazy:
    😎

Me too.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Abandon yea of all hope.  The SPAM is back again.

C'mon, Redgate.  Time to get your junk straightened out.  If you can't even control a forum, do you think new customers will trust you with their data?  Think about it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Friday, May 18, 2018 9:04 PM

Abandon yea of all hope.  The SPAM is back again.

C'mon, Redgate.  Time to get your junk straightened out.  If you can't even control a forum, do you think new customers will trust you with their data?  Think about it.

+100
    😎

• 4776 spam notifications and counting :angry:
    😎

Unsubscribed from all forums until this mess is resolved.

• 90 notifications that three account that I'm apparently following have posted. The account names are obviously bogus and I've never followed them.

Steve Hall
    Linkedin
    Blog Site

• Looks like another bad spam night now.  User mfgdhtvghbt posting hordes of long messages in (I think) Chinese.

Tom

• TomThomson - Sunday, May 20, 2018 7:08 PM

Looks like another bad spam night now.  User mfgdhtvghbt posting hordes of long messages in (I think) Chinese.

Just had another influx...  

Can we not filter against these?  Surely there's something that can be patternmatched...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Reading the comments about the spam storm I'm almost afraid to go hit my usual "newest posts" button...

• jasona.work - Monday, May 21, 2018 5:36 AM

Reading the comments about the spam storm I'm almost afraid to go hit my usual "newest posts" button...

Heh.  It was OK the last time I checked, but if you find anything, let someone know...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• I whacked 4 spam generating users last night... right after I saw Tom's email.

Still, this junk should never be making it to the forums.  There should be some form of "Captcha" in the process of becoming a new SSC member and I don't mind something like that for everyday posts.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Monday, May 21, 2018 5:56 AM

I whacked 4 spam generating users last night... right after I saw Tom's email.

Still, this junk should never be making it to the forums.  There should be some form of "Captcha" in the process of becoming a new SSC member and I don't mind something like that for everyday posts.

Perhaps users with <5 posts need a captcha ....

• DesNorton - Monday, May 21, 2018 6:22 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, May 21, 2018 5:56 AM

I whacked 4 spam generating users last night... right after I saw Tom's email.

Perhaps users with <5 posts need a captcha ....

Another idea would be to add a time constraint: users who have been members for < 1 month, perhaps.

Viewing 15 posts - 61,561 through 61,575 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply