Are the posted questions getting worse?

• jonathan.crawford - Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:18 AM

In "Lives Of A Cell", Lewis Thomas postulates that Language is really what the human race is working to build and pass on together, similar to termite mounds, where each human/termite only sees their part of the overall plan, yet vast structures are created that link together in different ways. It seems robustly apparent that despite any "rules" for language, it is definitely a shared experience and fluid concept, with common usage often overriding any scholarly application and many times eventually overtaking the meaning or use of a turn of phrase.

Interesting idea that grabbed me and I haven't been able to let go of since I read it. Questionable biology, but fun reading!

A good example of the "common usage often overriding any scholarly application and many times eventually overtaking the meaning or use" are the words "Geek" and "Hacker".  "Hacker" used to mean someone that was really good at computers and has come to mean someone that's after your junk on your computers.  The classic definition of "Geek" used to be rather disgusting in that it was defined as a circus performer that would entertain crowds by biting the heads off of chickens and snakes.  "Geek" is now almost a badge of honor for someone that knows stuff about computers like what the word "Hacker" used to mean.

Trademarks sometimes have a similar problem.  When was the last time you asked for a "Scott's Facial Tissue" instead of just asking for a "Kleenex", which is actually a trademark name that people have identified as any tissue that you can blow your snot locker into. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Sergiy - Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:17 AM

Name me 1 thing which Microsoft done perfectly.

They sell things perfectly, but it does not mean those things are done right.

Show me a perfect product and you will also see one that isn't used by anyone.  Perfection is a dream.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:43 AM

Show me a perfect product and you will also see one that isn't used by anyone.  Perfection is a dream.

iPod 1

• TomThomson - Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:07 AM

Sometimes some of the transatlantic routes temorarily stop working or get jammed with too much traffic.  That could be what caused your problem. Or it could be a glitch in your ISP's service.  Or a glitch at sqlcervercentral.com.
    There were 5 messages posted in this thread on Sunday, I received 1 on Sunday and the remaining 4 on Monday although I checked my email at midnight on Sunday.  so there was a glitch of some sort somewhere.

We did have some firewall issues. Not sure that should have affected mail, since I don't know the exact routing, but I have been getting notifications, FWIW.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:51 AM

TomThomson - Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:07 AM

Sometimes some of the transatlantic routes temorarily stop working or get jammed with too much traffic.  That could be what caused your problem. Or it could be a glitch in your ISP's service.  Or a glitch at sqlcervercentral.com.
    There were 5 messages posted in this thread on Sunday, I received 1 on Sunday and the remaining 4 on Monday although I checked my email at midnight on Sunday.  so there was a glitch of some sort somewhere.

We did have some firewall issues. Not sure that should have affected mail, since I don't know the exact routing, but I have been getting notifications, FWIW.

I got a bulk spam of the emails at 07:02 BST on Tuesday; it's been working fine since. The Transatlantic Line was a nice idea Tom, but both SSC and I are based in Europe; so I would be concerned if the packets from SSC to me were going through there. :hehe:

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, August 16, 2018 7:33 AM

They perfectly insert random bugs in their products. :hehe:

they are not random bugs... the features are functioning as intended.

• Sergiy - Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:53 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:43 AM

iPod 1

Probably misattributing this, but there was a quote by Omar Bradley to the effect of:

Chemlights are a perfect army tool.  they have no moving parts and you have to break them in order to use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Sergiy - Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:53 AM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:43 AM

iPod 1

Dispite my (sometimes over the top) hatred of Apple Products, I really cannot fault the old iPod classics. They were wonderful and I have no idea what they were smoking when they invented the Touch but it must have been some strong hallucinogenic.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:23 PM

Dispite my (sometimes over the top) hatred of Apple Products, I really cannot fault the old iPod classics. They were wonderful and I have no idea what they were smoking when they invented the Touch but it must have been some strong hallucinogenic.

The iPod touch is just an iPhone without that annoying app that allows making/receiving calls.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Well yes, it is.

• Luis Cazares - Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:32 PM

The iPod touch is just an iPhone without that annoying app that allows making/receiving calls.

I guess you mean "that annoying app that sometimes allows making/receiving calls when you aren't holding the iPhone the wrong way up or by the wrong part".

Tom

• TomThomson - Sunday, August 19, 2018 8:00 PM

Luis Cazares - Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:32 PM

I guess you mean "that annoying app that sometimes allows making/receiving calls when you aren't holding the iPhone the wrong way up or by the wrong part".

Well, yes. I never claimed that it was perfect or close to it. I wouldn't do that for Apple products (or many others).

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Wow, did you know that Raid 0 + 1 is done across at least 3 disks and has a parity bit?

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, August 20, 2018 1:41 PM

Wow, did you know that Raid 0 + 1 is done across at least 3 disks and has a parity bit?

What's interesting is, the link he has *does* go to the correct definition...
    The description he has sounds like either RAID3 or RAID5...

• jasona.work - Monday, August 20, 2018 1:46 PM

What's interesting is, the link he has *does* go to the correct definition...
    The description he has sounds like either RAID3 or RAID5...

hmmmm

Viewing 15 posts - 62,011 through 62,025 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply