Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Sunday, October 14, 2018 9:28 AM

He he, be my guest!
    😎

This prat doesn't know that this is a simple lock escalation issue, add the tablockx hint and it goes away. Suggest you ignore with a non-respond, otherwise it's fuel on the fire.

Cool... I learned a new word.  Prat = SOT - alcohol.  πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:03 AM

Cool... I learned a new word.  Prat = SOT - alcohol.  πŸ˜€

2 threads going on at the moment with this.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/96bf3309-c42b-4dd0-9434-79f423c5cb91/sql-server-developer-2017-insert-select-performance-issue-with-10-mb-data?forum=sqldatabaseengine#c6382c8a-618d-4825-9b94-01352f4af21e
    and

]https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/723083fe-019b-44c6-9eb6-15bb994a16f3/sql-server-2017-express-edition-slow-insert-select-performance-issue-with-very-less-amount-of-data?forum=sqlexpress#04fba153-e12d-401d-b5de-3204948ab23e

even though I did mention that this is related to the way logging works (didn't mention escalation but on this particular case that is likely the root cause based on the test I did and what you said above)

• Based on his latest post (as of writing this reply) in one of those topics I wonder if he has heard of snakes, octopuses, fish, lizards and mammals...

Edit: and I couldn't help but correct his lack of biology expertise... Why did I get suckered in... -_-

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:11 PM

Based on his latest post (as of writing this reply) in one of those topics I wonder if he has heard of snakes, octopuses, fish, lizards and mammals...

Edit: and I couldn't help but correct his lack of biology expertise... Why did I get suckered in... -_-

Saw that. 
    He kind of looks like a small baby that has a toy taken away from him - keeps crying "I wan't my toy!!!"

Did report that particular post of him though - he is mocking everyone now.

• frederico_fonseca - Sunday, October 14, 2018 3:35 PM

Saw that. 
    He kind of looks like a small baby that has a toy taken away from him - keeps crying "I wan't my toy!!!"

Did report that particular post of him though - he is mocking everyone now.

Wow, nobody is able to get through to this guy.  He is so sure that what he sees is a bug.  And he still won't show anyone his view.

• Let it die.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Brandie Tarvin - Friday, October 12, 2018 10:35 AM

So looking through the news of Michael (and hearing it when it slammed SC), I heard / saw reports of flooding and trees down in my old neighborhood. In fact right on top of where I used to live. If I still lived there, the good news would have been that I was on a second floor and wouldn't have gotten flooded, but the bad news would have been that I couldn't go anywhere because trees and water.

The best news? I'm in Florida in a place that barely got any rain ("barely" meaning quite a bit of rain but more like regular storms and not like hurricane rains) and had one tornado spin off in the area far away from me. So I'm good. I hope everyone else is.

There was a still a fair amount of damage (fences down, missing roofs) visible from the last hurricane when I visited friends in Pinecrest in South Miami earlier in the year.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Monday, October 15, 2018 1:36 AM

There was a still a fair amount of damage (fences down, missing roofs) visible from the last hurricane when I visited friends in Pinecrest in South Miami earlier in the year.

According to a Salon.com article I just read, FEMA is telling people to help themselves. And one of the higher ups in FEMA is scolding them for choosing to build / live in a hurricane zone. EDIT: the article was specifically talking about Floridians.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, October 15, 2018 5:41 AM

According to a Salon.com article I just read, FEMA is telling people to help themselves. And one of the higher ups in FEMA is scolding them for choosing to build / live in a hurricane zone. EDIT: the article was specifically talking about Floridians.

Makes you wonder exactly what FEMA are doing with their 15 billion annual budget.

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• A day never passes by when user stupidly doesn't amaze me. Playing a little bit of network support at the moment, as we're really thin on the ground and had to reset a user's password (second time today for that user). Made sure they got logged in, but noticed when they were putting in their new password they had caps lock on. Asked them if that was on purpose and if not they should probably change it, and they said "Whoops no, it wasn't. It's ok, I'll write it down in my notebook to use caps lock next to the new password."

/headdesk

Why do people think that work PC passwords are "OK" to write down and store next to their computer, but if you were to ask them to write down their PIN for their bank card they would look at you as in you belong in an insane asylum.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Monday, October 15, 2018 5:55 AM

A day never passes by when user stupidly doesn't amaze me. Playing a little bit of network support at the moment, as we're really thin on the ground and had to reset a user's password (second time today for that user). Made sure they got logged in, but noticed when they were putting in their new password they had caps lock on. Asked them if that was on purpose and if not they should probably change it, and they said "Whoops no, it wasn't. It's ok, I'll write it down in my notebook to use caps lock next to the new password."

/headdesk

Why do people think that work PC passwords are "OK" to write down and store next to their computer, but if you were to ask them to write down their PIN for their bank card they would look at you as in you belong in an insane asylum.

Our company is in process to force all users to use a secure password vault for all logins. It'll be interesting to see how / if this works out.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, October 15, 2018 6:06 AM

Thom A - Monday, October 15, 2018 5:55 AM

A day never passes by when user stupidly doesn't amaze me. Playing a little bit of network support at the moment, as we're really thin on the ground and had to reset a user's password (second time today for that user). Made sure they got logged in, but noticed when they were putting in their new password they had caps lock on. Asked them if that was on purpose and if not they should probably change it, and they said "Whoops no, it wasn't. It's ok, I'll write it down in my notebook to use caps lock next to the new password."

/headdesk

Our company is in process to force all users to use a secure password vault for all logins. It'll be interesting to see how / if this works out.

Many of us here use some kind of software vault. All of us around this table (dba, sys) use LastPass. I've been using it for maybe two years, it's saved my butt more than once.

• ChrisM@Work - Monday, October 15, 2018 6:10 AM

Many of us here use some kind of software vault. All of us around this table (dba, sys) use LastPass. I've been using it for maybe two years, it's saved my butt more than once.

There are few of the password vaults around, normally I use the ones that are available on multiple platforms such as Windows, Linux, Android, Mac etc, central storage of the database in the cloud and a combination of a strong password and a private key file.
    😎

• ChrisM@Work - Monday, October 15, 2018 6:10 AM

This was more aimed in regards to "normal" system users, not privileged. I very much suspect that if someone is writing down their password, if we were to "force" them to use a phone app they would no doubt write down the password for that somewhere as well; probably in the office. I suppose, at least, you need access to their phone and notebook.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• And our buddy is sending me private messages now. I can't believe how far he's gone in trying to get answers to questions he already has answers to. Ah well. I'm with Jeff on this, let it die.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 15 posts - 62,626 through 62,640 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply