Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Didn't know much about SSDs (I'm not a hardware guy anymore).  Turns out that SATA SSDs aren't nearly as fast as PCle SSDs.  If I calm down my hard drive requirements to "just" 1TB (which I'll never fill) and my SSD requirements to "just" 512GB, I can up my RAM to 64GB (which leaves plenty of headroom for SQL Experiments) and actually cut the cost of the laptop by $200 AND get the PCle SSDs instead of SATA.

I wish I knew then they were going to come out with the ZenBook Pro Duo.  Not only does that look extremely useful for when doing presentations but they've also moved the damned touch pad out of my way.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• For your needs i would probably stay out of the gaming laptops and go for the more "normal" ones https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100006740%204814%20600337010%20601331008%20601311244%20600488336%20601323887%20601303722%20600004945%20600004946

This one for example looks better than the one you mentioned https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-grey-asus-rog-strix-scar-edition-gl703gm-gaming-entertainment/p/1TS-001A-00GV9?Item=9SIAEYA94A4855

Thunderbolt - works great and you can, if required, get thunderbolt docks with allow you to connect lots of others things - handy for work at home with larger screens or potentially in presentations outside if you get both dock and projector

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I also settled on "just" 32GB of RAM because 64 GB added an extra $400 to the price.

I sure wish I could pump 64GB of RAM into my laptop... I frequently run multiple VMs (working with different clients at the same time) and it complains about not enough memory with 32GB for launching an additional VM. For my next laptop, this will be a requirement.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Didn't know much about SSDs (I'm not a hardware guy anymore).  Turns out that SATA SSDs aren't nearly as fast as PCle SSDs.  If I calm down my hard drive requirements to "just" 1TB (which I'll never fill) and my SSD requirements to "just" 512GB, I can up my RAM to 64GB (which leaves plenty of headroom for SQL Experiments) and actually cut the cost of the laptop by $200 AND get the PCle SSDs instead of SATA. I wish I knew then they were going to come out with the ZenBook Pro Duo.  Not only does that look extremely useful for when doing presentations but they've also moved the damned touch pad out of my way.

I have 2.25TB of SATA SSD, with ~600GB free space. Almost 1TB of VMs. And no SATA HDDs at all... they will have to be all SSD (PCIe preferred).

That ZenBook Pro Duo looks nice... but I'd rather have a full-fledged numeric keypad instead of the touchpad (I hate those things). Wonder what the battery life is like on one of those? I'd like something with enough for a cross-country flight (5-6 hours)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I've not actually had the "pleasure" of doing Windows Updates on our servers, Tom.  That's a part of what our infrastructure team does.  I've also not heard of any problems of the nature that you speak of, so, sorry... no help from me.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Has anyone had any dealings with NewEgg.com?  They've got 1 heck of a deal on a laptop that I'd like to get but...

1. They are not BBB accredited.
    2. They've got nothing but bad reviews on the BBB site.  Of course, few people will get onto the BBB site to say a company was good but they are a solid 1 out of 5 stars.

I've purchased some stuff from them, and it's worked as well as going to the local Microcenter in Denver. Some parts are bad, some are great. The more technical stuff you get, you find this. They've taken things back and replaced them for me. I think they're as good as anyone, but they sell to a lot of people, many of whom have tempers and like to type. There will be bad reviews.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Has anyone had any dealings with NewEgg.com?  They've got 1 heck of a deal on a laptop that I'd like to get but...

1. They are not BBB accredited.
    2. They've got nothing but bad reviews on the BBB site.  Of course, few people will get onto the BBB site to say a company was good but they are a solid 1 out of 5 stars.

I've purchased some stuff from them, and it's worked as well as going to the local Microcenter in Denver. Some parts are bad, some are great. The more technical stuff you get, you find this. They've taken things back and replaced them for me. I think they're as good as anyone, but they sell to a lot of people, many of whom have tempers and like to type. There will be bad reviews.

Thanks, Steve.  Understood on the people that post the bad reviews.  Like I said on my original post on this subject, people don't generally login to the BBB site to pay compliments.

And, serendipitously, it's been a real long time since I've had to deal with any kind of hardware and had forgotten the name of it.  It's "MicroCenter".  Thanks much for the reminder.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• You're all still here?

Go home.

(btw, hate that movie, but it's a good quote)

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• You're all still here?

Go home.

(btw, hate that movie, but it's a good quote)

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• WayneS wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

I also settled on "just" 32GB of RAM because 64 GB added an extra $400 to the price.

I sure wish I could pump 64GB of RAM into my laptop... I frequently run multiple VMs (working with different clients at the same time) and it complains about not enough memory with 32GB for launching an additional VM. For my next laptop, this will be a requirement.

I did find one that has 128GB of RAM and a shedload of PCle SSD room.  I can't afford it but maybe you can for your business.  It's about $5,600.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

You're all still here? Go home. (btw, hate that movie, but it's a good quote)

I enjoyed the movie.  Too bad you hated it.

• Lynn Pettis wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Which of the 2 movies are you talking about? I'm guessing you're referring to the original.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Which of the 2 movies are you talking about? I'm guessing you're referring to the original.

https://www.google.com/search?q=you+re+all+still+here+it%27s+over+go+home

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

You should know that I researched the quote. But I saw that scene on a different movie.

https://youtu.be/FcazL5yNukw

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Luis Cazares wrote:

Lynn Pettis wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

You should know that I researched the quote. But I saw that scene on a different movie. https://youtu.be/FcazL5yNukw%5B/quote%5D

Oh no. That movie I liked. It's Ferris that was bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 63,856 through 63,870 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply